Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cable Guy (Jim Carrey)?WS version OOP???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ordered this title twice from 2 different websites that had this title listed as WS/FS version but when I received it both times it was just the FS version and I had to send it back twice!. Does anyone know where I can get a WS version of this film??? Any help would be appreciated-
smurr
Old 05-20-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The WS version has been OOP for a while. Sony lost its mind a while back and started dropping one of the sides of many of its two-sided releases, leaving the discs only FS or (sometimes only WS). The crazy thing is that they never issued new UPCs for these updated discs, so many vendors never updated their listings.

The WS version of "Cable Guy" is hard to find. I suggest looking for it in actual stores and not trusting on-line inventories. I see them every now and then at remote Blockbusters. Most other stores have already sold off their old, two-sided copies and only have FS versions.

Good hunting!
Old 05-20-08, 11:20 AM

Amazon.com has it listed as (Full Screen). Amazon.ca has it listed as both Wide and Full Screen. Does anyone know if Canada still has the WS version?
Old 05-20-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm sure as hell glad i've got the widescreen then...

that is a classic comedy... granted it was over the heads of the movie going public... but what a classic...
Old 05-20-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I really wish they would do a Special Edition. All I want is a Stiller commentary, deleted scenes and trailer and I'll be happy.

You'd think with the amazingly famous cast (Carrey, Broderick, Jack Black, David Cross, Leslie Mann, Stiller, Janeane Garofolo, Andy Dick, Owen Wilson, and even Kyle Gass, for a few seconds anyway, plus the power of Apatow in the producer's chair) would have motivated someone to double-dip this by now but no, we still have the same old DVD from like 1996 promoting the amazing new format of DVD.
Old 05-20-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I really wish they would do a Special Edition. All I want is a Stiller commentary, deleted scenes and trailer and I'll be happy.

You'd think with the amazingly famous cast (Carrey, Broderick, Jack Black, David Cross, Leslie Mann, Stiller, Janeane Garofolo, Andy Dick, Owen Wilson, and even Kyle Gass, for a few seconds anyway, plus the power of Apatow in the producer's chair) would have motivated someone to double-dip this by now but no, we still have the same old DVD from like 1996 promoting the amazing new format of DVD.
I hope the reason is that they're considering remastering it and releasing a new edition on BD and DVD. If they can do So I Married an Ax Murderer, they can do this.
Old 05-20-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Drexl
I hope the reason is that they're considering remastering it and releasing a new edition on BD and DVD. If they can do So I Married an Ax Murderer, they can do this.
Indeed, although it would be merely depressing if they released a "Special Edition" with no features...not that I'm really convinced that's what's happening with the Axe Murderer DVD either.
Old 05-20-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While we wait for a new SE, there's always the Amazon seller's marketplace. It's a great resource for hard-to-find and OOP DVDs. I'm sure you can find someone with a WS copy that will sell it for around $6.
Old 05-21-08, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a multiregion player the R2 of this (pick from UK*, France or Germany) is WS.

* cut by a few seconds
Old 05-21-08, 08:59 AM

I just checked my copy. It has both formats.
I'm pretty sure I've seen this at Walmart in their bargain bin. I'll look on next shopping trip.
Old 05-21-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Flicker
I just checked my copy. It has both formats.
I'm pretty sure I've seen this at Walmart in their bargain bin. I'll look on next shopping trip.
Wal-Marts definitely only have the old copies. This was a couple years ago they stopped pressing the double-sided WS version, so as people have said, used stores are your best bet.
Old 05-21-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Wal-Marts definitely only have the old copies. This was a couple years ago they stopped pressing the double-sided WS version, so as people have said, used stores are your best bet.
It's worth checking the copies at Wal-Mart. You never know where an old flipper copy may turn up. I actually found one at Best Buy a while back when Cable Guy was included in a sale.
Old 05-21-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
It's worth checking the copies at Wal-Mart. You never know where an old flipper copy may turn up. I actually found one at Best Buy a while back when Cable Guy was included in a sale.
I think Wal-Mart recycles its stock. But then again, around these parts, they now use shelves and put the DVDs on there, spine out. I imagine you would have more potential luck if the stores still use the big dump baskets.
Old 05-22-08, 04:35 PM
Suspended

found 2 today Used at hastings for $5.99 each

they had 8 copies of the film, but just 2 that were ws/fs.

Easy way to tell, is the Catalog # is near the top of the Spine on the ones that feature WS/FS- and near the bottom of the Spine on the ones that are FS only.

Last edited by lcnickell; 05-24-08 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 11:24 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
lcnickell,

Care to part with one for the right price?
Old 05-24-08, 09:43 AM
Suspended

I won't make it to that store again till Wednesday, But I'll pick one up then, and sell for the price i pay + actual Shipping.
Old 05-24-08, 10:10 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
lcnickell,

You are a big part of what makes this forum great!

Thanks!
Old 05-24-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've seen it in a Walmart bargain bin (Canada) for $5, but full screen only. I remember seeing that full screen version on TV in the past, and the panning in certain scenes is so obvious and terrible to look at. A lot of Sony's films are like that, that I've seen on TV.

The package artwork had no indication of a separate wide or full version (no full screen listed on the spine or front) so it looks like that's the only one they're selling. Instead, I picked up Dumb And Dumber special edition so it wasn't a total loss. Why that film would have DTS-ES sound is odd though.