Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I Got a Bootleg Dvd at Sam's Club, Unbelievable!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I just can't believe this. Several weeks ago, I purchased the Jack Ryan dvd collection boxset at Sam's club which has all four Jack Ryan flicks.

I started The Sum of all Fears and didn't notice anything weird until half the screen was covered with the blurb that I was viewing a screening copy!

I tried hitting subtitles, and nothing. I tried going to the main menu. It doesn't exist. This is like a cheap screener or bootleg copy of the film.

I'm thinking about calling Sam's club, but would they believe me? Besides I don't have the receipt anymore. The sorry thing is I can't sell the set. No buyer is going to believe that a screener copy was inserted by accident.

Anyone ever heard of something like this happening?
Old 04-03-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was hoping this was going to be about the Borat DVD.
Old 04-03-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did it appear to be tampered with or returned?
Old 04-03-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advice:

Do not call your Sam's Club. Go in person and explain to them what happened. Then, show them the DVD set. You are a member if you are shopping there, so you hold some leverage. Tell them you would like to do an exchange, and open the set there to make sure it isn't the same problem. Either that, or just ask for a flat out refund and suggest they investigate their products more in the future. You shouldn't have a problem if you do not have your receipt, especially if you purchased it by Credit Card. They can look up your member history or they can look up your Credit Card purchase information. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
Old 04-03-08, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
I was hoping this was going to be about the Borat DVD.
Same here. That last thread was gold!
Old 04-04-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
You have learned a valuable lesson: Never buy shrink wrapped products.
Old 04-04-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They can look it up on your purchase history if you paid with credit card or not as long as you used your membership card. All they have to do is scan the bar code. I've purchase stuff from them before and a year later I decide I don't want it, I just return it. They are one of the best places for returns.
Old 04-04-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
You have learned a valuable lesson: Never buy shrink wrapped products.
Aren't all new dvd's shrink wrapped?
Old 04-04-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Aren't all new dvd's shrink wrapped?
"Factory sealed" and "shrink wrapped" are much different.
One can be done easily by bootleggers, the other can not.
Old 04-04-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Man, I just can't believe this. Several weeks ago, I purchased the Jack Ryan dvd collection boxset at Sam's club which has all four Jack Ryan flicks.

I started The Sum of all Fears and didn't notice anything weird until half the screen was covered with the blurb that I was viewing a screening copy!

I tried hitting subtitles, and nothing. I tried going to the main menu. It doesn't exist. This is like a cheap screener or bootleg copy of the film.

I'm thinking about calling Sam's club, but would they believe me? Besides I don't have the receipt anymore. The sorry thing is I can't sell the set. No buyer is going to believe that a screener copy was inserted by accident.

This could just be a mistake on the distributors part. Probably not a bootleg, a screener version of the disc got mixed up with the retail versions. If you have a sams card they can track your purchases. If they still have this item in the store, just tell them the disc is defective and won't play properly and that you want an exchange, you probably won't have any problems at all. Sams and Coscto have the best return policy hands down, mostly because you are a paid member and that they can look up everything you have bought.
Old 04-04-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
This could just be a mistake on the distributors part. Probably not a bootleg, a screener version of the disc got mixed up with the retail versions.
I have to think that by the time Paramount was putting together the Jack Ryan collection all screening copies already went out. I don't see why a few years after its release the distributor still has screening copies around.
Old 04-04-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Last mentioned before, if you used your card just bring it back and explain the situation, I'm sure they will be more than accomodating. This reminds of the time my cousin bought the original gameboy (like 15 years or so ago) and there was a bunch of rocks in the box with a michael jackson audio tape (wtf?). Needless to say he brought it back to them and they replaced it. Obviously this isn't going to happen if you do it more than once but give retailers the benefit of the doubt, especially Sam's Club and Costco (or other club stores).
Old 04-04-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I have to think that by the time Paramount was putting together the Jack Ryan collection all screening copies already went out. I don't see why a few years after its release the distributor still has screening copies around.
Also, and maybe it was different for this title, but aren't Paramount screeners usually the final product and not watermarked?
Old 04-04-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07

True, but there is no telling how long this set has been out. There are occasions when I have purchased a disc as recently as last year that still included inserts and advertisments from 1997. So the mixed up could have happened upon inital release. It certainly makes more sense than someone creating a "screener" bootleg. But who knows...
Old 04-04-08, 11:34 AM

Old 04-04-08, 11:35 AM

Could be this is actually an official studio screener that accidentally got stuck in here, thereby a factory goof rather than a true 'bootleg'. I think that's most likely. In the end it doesn't matter too much but just sayin'.
Old 04-04-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
At least it was only Sum of All Fears and not one of the good Ryan films.
Old 04-06-08, 12:56 AM

This happened to me with Soldiers Girl. I posted about it,but got no replies. But like in this case. There was no menu,no extras,no 5.1 audio,no subtitles except for 'property of showtime network'...and the quality was pretty lousy with artifacts galore. The packaging and disc art looked exactly like the legit dvd that contains all the features and decent transfer of the film.

But since I didn't notice this problem until now,since I never put in the dvd after buying it last summer from deepdiscount.com. I can't get it replaced/exchanged at all which truly sucks.
Old 04-06-08, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
At least it was only Sum of All Fears and not one of the good Ryan films.
Lol, good point.{Ben Afleck=lame Jack Ryan}
Old 04-06-08, 06:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
But since I didn't notice this problem until now,since I never put in the dvd after buying it last summer from deepdiscount.com. I can't get it replaced/exchanged at all which truly sucks.
Just contact the studio/manufacturer.
Old 04-06-08, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just contact the studio/manufacturer.

It's Showtime and I've tried them before when my Queer As Folk Season 1 set turned out to be extremely defective(discs would not play,or would freeze up durring playback). And they said "Tough luck" basically. So i'm not looking forward to contacting them again in this case.

Anchorbay Entertainment though is terrific when it comes to customer service for defected dvds! I've delt with them three times in the last 7 years. And everything went smoothly with no problem at all.

They're a little slower now at getting back to you. But I still got my corrected dvd(s) without a hassle. The last time I delt with them was a few months ago. They contacted me 2 months after I sent a message to them. I gave them my address to send the dvd to. And this email was sent in the later afternoon btw. And by the following afternoon,the dvd had arrived!
Old 04-07-08, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by neiname
...my cousin bought the original gameboy (like 15 years or so ago) and there was a bunch of rocks in the box with a michael jackson audio tape (wtf?).
that's some funny shit right there.
Old 04-07-08, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
that's some funny shit right there.
It's also an urban legend that I've seen a number of different places.
Old 04-15-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by kingtopher
It's also an urban legend that I've seen a number of different places.

It's not like it would be that far fetched. I'm sure it happens all the time. Especially with computers and computer parts. Who would know if you stuck an old video card in the box instead of a new one.
Old 04-15-08, 11:55 AM

I bought a Sony DVD burner for my PC last year from Best Buy and when I opened the box I could immediately smell melted plastic and knew something was wrong. Turns out the drive in the box was an older model of the one it was supposed to be, and someone had bought it, swapped the drives and superglued the new coverplate onto the old drive and returned it!!!! Fortunately BB believed me when I took it back and I was able to get the right one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.