Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My DVD storage solution (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 04:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
If you have access to a copy machine, why not make a copy of it and THEN cut that one ??? Why ruin the original ???........Actually, after thinking about it for a second, you can reduce the size of a copy to certain percentages of actual size. You might be able to get it close to fitting in with no cutting and hacking. This way you have ALL the info of the original intact. And for those of you about to use the arguement that a "copy" won't look as good. What about the original with a big chunk cut out of it ??? And I'm pretty sure they make color copiers that have excellent quality results. For as big of an investment as dvd collections can be, it seems at least worth looking into.........My 2 cents !!!
Why go to that kind of expense and trouble to save a little bit of edge that no one cares about?

Used DVDs are pretty worthless anyway, and it's not like any normal person is going to care that a few millimeters is trimmed off the side of the artwork, in the small chance that you ever do sell it. If you were planning to sell it, you wouldn't be going to the trouble to convert it to a smaller case.

I fold or don't convert those 1 in a 1000 DVDs that may be worth selling someday, but everything else gets the scissors.

It's not like anyone is going to examine my slimcase collection and even notice that a little sliver of artwork is gone.
Old 10-12-08, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by indy81
I see. To make your point, you must be using that fancy "math" I keep hearing about.

I thought maybe there was a chance you could squeeze the larger artwork into the 9mm case with a minimum of rippling, vs. the 7mm cases. But I guess I will need to fold or cut no matter what.

Any recommendations on the best way to shrink the artwork? Is folding too awkward? Is a paper cutter the cleanest way to shave off a few mm?
You can cut less (or none I guess), but then you get rippling or even bulging, or trouble closing the case.

Folding will show some slight bulging. In the rare cases that the cover sleeve has important text all the way to the edges, I'll fold to keep it intact. But I've found that I can trim in at least 9 out of 10 cases.

A paper cutter would provide a more accurate cut, but I decided not to bother.

Seriously, who is ever going to look at the edges of my cover sleeves and notice that 3.5 mm from each side is missing?

With slimcases and double slimcases I'm saving at least 100% of the space, sometimes more.
Old 10-12-08, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Why go to that kind of expense and trouble to save a little bit of edge that no one cares about?

Used DVDs are pretty worthless anyway, and it's not like any normal person is going to care that a few millimeters is trimmed off the side of the artwork, in the small chance that you ever do sell it. If you were planning to sell it, you wouldn't be going to the trouble to convert it to a smaller case.

I fold or don't convert those 1 in a 1000 DVDs that may be worth selling someday, but everything else gets the scissors.

It's not like anyone is going to examine my slimcase collection and even notice that a little sliver of artwork is gone.
Well some people work in places with copiers. Those lucky people could look into it for very little expense if any at all. Everyone else can go to Staples or Office Max or (insert name of copying service here) and find out what it would cost that way.

And it's pretty much up to the individual, no matter how "normal" or not they may be, whether or not those few millimeters are actually worth having.

I'm just throwing another idea out there for indy81 to think about. Personally, I'd rather have as much input as possible so as to make a decision that won't be regretted once the scissors have been put into use.
Old 10-12-08, 05:29 PM

I have almost 50% of my collection coverted to thinPAK and they look great. I just get get new covers printed out for them and then put the original cover in a manilla envelope with a bunch of others and store them in a drawer. I will get a pic of my collection of ThinPAKs and non-thinpaks as soon as i get my camera working
Old 10-14-08, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I ordered 100 clear slimcases, and 100 clear double slim cases the other day. I'm starting by converting the biggest space wasters. 2 disc sets like Glory and Speed which were in those huge double amarays. Even with the insert, they fit nicely in the double slims, and use a fourth of the space.
I have also gone over to the dark side and so far converted 200 single-disk dvd's to slim cases. Only thing holding me back from converting 2-disk sets are the inserts - all the double slim cases I've seen do not have clips to hold them.

I ordered my single disk slims from Meritline, and they've worked pretty well. Where did you order your cases from? Do the double slim cases have clips for the inserts or do you just put them in loose when you close the case?
Old 10-15-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dumb question but if guys are converting into slimmer cases, how do you get the covers to fit? do you just reprint them?
Old 10-15-08, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by hilts
I have also gone over to the dark side and so far converted 200 single-disk dvd's to slim cases. Only thing holding me back from converting 2-disk sets are the inserts - all the double slim cases I've seen do not have clips to hold them.

I ordered my single disk slims from Meritline, and they've worked pretty well. Where did you order your cases from? Do the double slim cases have clips for the inserts or do you just put them in loose when you close the case?
Shop4tech. No clips, 1 disc on each side of case. But I've found there is plenty of room for even ten or so page inserts to comfortably fit in the case.
Old 10-15-08, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by atari2600
dumb question but if guys are converting into slimmer cases, how do you get the covers to fit? do you just reprint them?
You've missed most of this thread where we are discussing that.

You have to trim or fold them to make them fit. Standard 14mm case down to a 7mm slim, you have to trim/fold 7mm to make it fit.
Old 10-15-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You've missed most of this thread where we are discussing that.

You have to trim or fold them to make them fit. Standard 14mm case down to a 7mm slim, you have to trim/fold 7mm to make it fit.
thanks.
Old 11-24-08, 07:24 AM

Update. I bought 100 of the 5mm cases from shop4tech to try them out.

I'm trying to be careful to only convert into 5mm the cases that use smaller fonts on the spines, so that the titles show up well.

They are working quite well. All have had readable spines after conversion, and somehow it seems like I'm not having to clip any more than with a 7mm case. I think the plastic welds aren't as tight, and allow more wiggle room or something.

I think I'm going to stick to the 7mm cases for the most part, they seem more sturdy and allow more room for inserts. But for cases with small or no inserts, and smaller fonts on the spine; 5mm cases work well and can save even more space.
Old 02-12-09, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My DVD storage solution (for now)

Shop4Tech has another 17% off coupon that expires 2/15 (so I don't know if it's good on that day or croaks on that day). My favorite DVD case thread seemed a good place to post it, and thanks to Trevor for sending me to Shop4Tech.
Old 02-25-09, 10:29 AM

I am going to be converting most of my collection to 7mm cases. I am not sure if I want to fold/cut the covers or try print new ones with the small spine.
I would not mind paying for replacethecase or r1db sites, but can someone tell me which site is better for original covers with the spine shrunk down? Also, are the prices comparable on the sites, I can see how much replacethecase costs, but not r1db (without registering).
Old 03-07-09, 08:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

for those that care, and FWIW, the thinpak's you can buy from www.shop4tech.com do not require you to fold or cut anything to fit the slipcover into the thinner case. it appears to be because their particular cases are more squared at the spine, as opposed to rounded with a lot of the others, which does make folding/cutting necessary.
Old 03-09-09, 07:25 AM

TallGuyMe, are these http://www.shop4tech.com/item1853.html the ones you are referring to?

If so I will order some right away as this will save me a lot of time and pain of folding/cutting covers.
Old 06-18-09, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by neilo13
TallGuyMe, are these http://www.shop4tech.com/item1853.html the ones you are referring to?

If so I will order some right away as this will save me a lot of time and pain of folding/cutting covers.
I've been looking for a way to save space and these sound great. Can someone confirm if these don't require the covers to be folded or cut? Thanks.
Old 06-19-09, 09:52 AM

hwanch,

I ordered those exact cases and they DO require folding/cutting (about 5mm total). They are nice cases and I am happy with the conversion, I saved a tremendous amount of space converting standard 1 disc titles over. I also realized how many snapper cases i still have, maybe i'll get around to finding and printing custom covers for those.

I just wish that someone made thinpaks that are slightly larger so that conversion isn't such a pain.