My DVD storage solution (for now)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-23-08, 07:50 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

OK. Well, I thought long and hard about this... as you can see from the photo below, I am clearly running out of space for my DVD collection. More shelving is not an option. Moving is not an option.

Many here will consider this idea just an awful and unforgiveable thing to do, especially considering it requires some minor alteration to the slip-cover (gasp!)... although I suspect it's not quite as bad in the eyes of the DVDTalkers as putting your collection in binders (shudder).

NEWSFLASH! Thinpacks are thinner!

So, I had a few thinpak DVD cases lying around, from some old blank DVD-R's I had... and I took out the slipcover of the standard dvd... trimmed about 2mm off each side (and since they usually give you a little wiggle room, I didn't have to cut any wording), and voila. Much needed space for MORE DVD's. I was worried that the title on the spine would be illegible, but much to my surprise, the rounded thinpak edges make the title still very much readable.

The picture is slightly misleading, but, the thin-packs, with the slightest bit of pressure on them will roughly be a 2-to-1 ratio with your standard sized DVD case.

Look, nobody wants to have to do this, but... but after switching a few discs over, I have to say I'm pretty darned happy. Those of you starting to hurt for space, I urge you to give it a try... it's nowhere near as awful as you think it might be... in fact, I actually am starting to prefer the slim look. Of course box sets, special packaging, digipaks, and steelbooks will just stay as they are. As for snappers? they suck, and I have no qualms about scanning a flipper onto glossy paper, and chucking those.

ohh, and you can get 100 thinpack cases for < $25.

Let the bashing begin....

edit: duh, I just realized I put 10 regularly sized movies on the left, and 11 thinpacks on the right, but you get the idea.

Last edited by TGM; 03-23-08 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-23-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
You monster.

Pretty clever, although the titles on the spine seem a little tight; I can't make out the title of the DVD that's 3rd from the bottom on the right. I'd also be interested to see how the front and back covers look both before and after the trim.

I found a page where someone else had the same idea as you, although he extended it to mult-disc sets and special packaging as well (some of which required printing new covers).
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/thinpaks.shtml
Old 03-23-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
When Hollywood video was blowing out their inventory a few months ago, many of the titles had cases that were in pretty rough shape. I had purchased a huge package of slim DVD cases years ago intending to use them for DVD-Rs and such, but I still had quite a few.

My wife has a really nice paper cutter, so I started trimming the edges, and using up those cases. As the OP said, special cases stay, and I haven't gotten good enough to scan and redo snapper covers, but it's a start.

I just picked up a few titles at Gamestop's "buy 2 get 4" sale last night, and most of them are going into slims.
Old 03-23-08, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's actually a pretty good idea.

But being a DVD package designer, I couldn't bear to cut wraps. I'd be more inclined to scan the wraps and redesign the spine so the whole thing felt perfectly into a 7mm case. And then I'd have to put all the original cases into boxes for storage...

Fortunately I have about 300 DVDs worth of space left on my shelves, so i don't have to consider it for a while.

But it is a pretty clever idea.
Old 03-24-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
et tu, brute?
Old 03-24-08, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
That just seems like a whole lotta work. How many DVD's do you own? And you want to do this to just about all of them?
Old 03-24-08, 05:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
That just seems like a whole lotta work. How many DVD's do you own? And you want to do this to just about all of them?
I have about 1200 DVD's. So, yeah, it's not going to be easy... but, its mindless... you can easily do it WHILE WATCHING a dvd. Hey, its not for everyone, I know...
Old 03-24-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I think this is a pretty good idea and something that I will eventually do myself but right now I'm not strapped for space. Maybe I'll get about 100 of these thin paks and get started on it myself.
Old 03-24-08, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish someone made a thin case with a little wider front and back cover so you could put the wrap in the case without cutting anything. I would convert mine in a heartbeat. Can't bring myself to cut but my resistance is shrinking. I rarely sell anything. Most of the time I give stuff away that I no longer want. I might try this with my kids discs as a test run since they pretty well abuse the hell out of their DVD's.
Old 03-24-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
So, I had a few thinpak DVD cases lying around, from some old blank DVD-R's I had... and I took out the slipcover of the standard dvd... trimmed about 2mm off each side (and since they usually give you a little wiggle room, I didn't have to cut any wording), and voila. Much needed space for MORE DVD's. I was worried that the title on the spine would be illegible, but much to my surprise, the rounded thinpak edges make the title still very much readable.

do you mind taking pictures of a cover you've trimmed with a cover that hasn't been trimmed so we can see just how much is cut off?
Old 03-24-08, 07:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I like it.

I built a wall of Ikea shelfing recently (bad picture of it in one of these storage threads here), will hold maybe 1200 cases, thinking that it would hold all my non-TV DVDs. Well, it is already overflowing.

I go back and forth between getting rid of a few hundred DVDs, putting a few hundred of them back into binders (and storing the cases at my storage site), or now this idea.

If I choose this idea, I could start with my lesser titles that I might sell or give away someday anyway, which number in the hundreds, and that will give me another year or two of space.
Old 03-24-08, 07:48 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
do you mind taking pictures of a cover you've trimmed with a cover that hasn't been trimmed so we can see just how much is cut off?

it is sort of tough to capture, but I think you get the idea... of course, the 1st few I did by hand, with some scissors so it's a tad wonky... but I've started to use a straight edge cutting thing my wife has... again, you only need to trim a bit on the right and left hand sides... no trimming is necessary on the top and bottom. You might be able to get away with folding over that little section on either side, instead of cutting, but, it's tough as it is such a small amount to work with.

some people cannot live with trimming even this much off, and I can respect that... but for me, I just don't care that much about "resale" values, etc. It is more important for me to have more space on hand for a larger collection.

And, I gotta tell you... I really, really, really like the look of the movies in the slim cases...

Best price I've found on-line for thinpaks is here:

http://www.checkoutstore.com/SLIM-Fr.../clrcase7s.htm

others (hey SarithaAnn!) now have begun doing this as well, and started posting the results over at another site I frequent:

Last edited by TGM; 03-24-08 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you're using 7mm slimpaks right? i wonder if 9mm slimpaks wouldn't require you to trim anything at all.
Old 03-24-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ive been doing this for a while, i have just over 1000 DVDs and at least half of them are in ThinPak's but I don't "cut" the covers I just print out new ones and store the originals in manilla envelopes. I also change any DigiPaks to either slims or regular DVD cases because I hate the hubs they use for them and store the original boxes in a storage container in my closet
Old 03-24-08, 08:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
you're using 7mm slimpaks right? i wonder if 9mm slimpaks wouldn't require you to trim anything at all.
yes 7mm. I haven't come across 9mm slimpaks yet... although, make it wide enough, and you sort of defeat the purpose.
Old 03-24-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes 7mm. I haven't come across 9mm slimpaks yet... although, make it wide enough, and you sort of defeat the purpose.
http://www.checkoutstore.com/SLIM-Bl...lkcases9mm.htm

instead of being 1/2 as thick as a standard it's 2/3 as thick.
Old 03-24-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
I found a page where someone else had the same idea as you, although he extended it to mult-disc sets and special packaging as well (some of which required printing new covers).
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/thinpaks.shtml
That's quite an old article. DVDCA has been dead for about 4 years now.

GenesysDTP.com has all kinds of slim cases. I've used them for years. I'm awaiting some 14mm(standard DVD size) 6 disc cases right now. I'm converting my Stargate: SG-1 sets over. Here's a comparison shot from a user in Rix's forums:

Check out all the custom cover sites to convert your box sets over. You can see a few I did(Cheers, Seinfeld, Arrested Development) in the Cover & Cases section of this site. Rixgrafix has all your sci-fi needs with covers for Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar, Farscape, etc. He does fantastic work.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-24-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I took out the slipcover of the standard dvd... trimmed about 2mm off each side
Dude, you don't need to cut shit. Just fold (inwards) about a quarter inch off the back (or an eighth of an inch each side), and you're fine - easier and less damage than cutting.
Old 03-24-08, 10:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Dude, you don't need to cut shit. Just fold (inwards) about a quarter inch off the back (or an eighth of an inch each side), and you're fine - easier and less damage than cutting.

yes, I've previously mentioned this as an alternative to cutting... but considering the thickness of what you want to fold, it might be difficult for some and potentially not worth the trouble.
Old 03-25-08, 05:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so, I ordered these cases waaaaayyy back on 3/23. What was on my doorstep when I got home today, on 3/25? Holy crap! I guess it was worth the $20+ shipping expense afterall.

As for the cases themselves, there are one step down from say, the thinpaks that are in the Shield, or Seinfeld sets... not quite as sturdy, but still decent... I find that a lot of thinpaks have difficulty keeping the disc locked in... but these really do a great job with that... its just that the outside plastic sleeve is a bit on the flimsy side, but all in all I'm quite pleased.

Oh, and I've gotten good at making that little fold on the edges, so you can all calm down now, I am no longer cutting them.
Old 03-25-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a friend that does this. I constantly give her shit. If it doesn't bother you that's cool but, I think, being a collector, the packaging is just as important as the film included sometimes. I could never butcher my collection like that. I'll stack DVDs crotch-deep all over my floor before I chop them up to fit into little cases.
Old 03-25-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Best Buy sells pretty good thin-packs (I forget the brand name). They're clear, sturdy, lock the disc into place well, and have clips for inserts. They're around $15 for a pack of 30, so only fifty-cents a piece.
Old 03-25-08, 05:21 PM
Banned

Wow... Sorry, but the very thought of "mutilating" my DVD collection that way gives me the willies!
Old 03-25-08, 05:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasteroDisaster
Wow... Sorry, but the very thought of "mutilating" my DVD collection that way gives me the willies!

I was wondering how long before the drama queens showed up.
Old 03-25-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[IMG]
We could make a new DVD Talk game - guess the name of TallGuyMe's movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.