DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My DVD storage solution (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 06:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
We could make a new DVD Talk game - guess the name of TallGuyMe's movies.
those aren't mine.

Look, I understand... it's a polarizing issue... if you don't have space issues, then don't do it... but I think its preferable than binders...

I have no problem picking out the disc from the spine in the thinpacks...
Old 03-25-08, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The symmetrical OCD in me really likes the thought of having the same cases for everything in addition to space saving, but the perfectionist OCD in me cringes at the thought of cutting/bending the covers. Curse you!
Old 03-25-08, 07:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Best Buy sells pretty good thin-packs (I forget the brand name). They're clear, sturdy, lock the disc into place well, and have clips for inserts. They're around $15 for a pack of 30, so only fifty-cents a piece.
Are the ones linked above for half that price bad quality or something?
Old 03-25-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I was wondering how long before the drama queens showed up.
There's nothing wrong with considering it mutilation. Many of us, including myself, would rather cut off an arm than cut off a portion of each of our dvd covers. As someone mentioned, my "collection" consists of both the films and the presentation of them (ie. packaging, display, etc). To me, cutting up the packaging would be ruining a part of what makes my collection my collection.

If it doesn't bother you, then that's good for you. But don't get defensive when people consider it dvd blasphemy.
Old 03-25-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Are the ones linked above for half that price bad quality or something?
I didn't see the price, but yeah they are better - they at least have clips - I can actually fit a Criterion insert (approx. 24pgs.) in there.
Old 03-25-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
We could make a new DVD Talk game - guess the name of TallGuyMe's movies.
Well, It's not TallGuyMe's collection, but here's my list:

8 Seconds
28 Days
Babel
Benny and Joon
Blade
Bridget Jone's Diary
The Butterfly Effect
Casanova
Crazy/Beuatiful
Creul Intentions
Curse of the Golden Flower
- (Daywatch) ?
Face/Off
- ?
Fear
Garden State
Hairspray
- ?
Hope Floats
The Island
Knocked Up
Ladder 49
The Last Kiss
The Last Unicorn
Little Miss Sunshine
Look Who's Talking
Marie Antoinette
The Mirror Has Two Faces
Monster House
The New World
- ?
Panic Room
Pieces of April
Rudy
RV
The Saint
Scream
Shrek 2
Sister Act
Speed
Stardust
Steel Magnolias
Thelma and Louise
Throw Momma from the Train
Transformers
The Truth About Cats & Dogs
Uncle Buck
The Village
Walk the Line
Wedding Crashers
Old 03-25-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, It's not TallGuyMe's collection, but here's my list:

8 Seconds
28 Days
Babel
Benny and Joon
Blade
Bridget Jone's Diary
The Butterfly Effect
Casanova
Crazy/Beuatiful
Creul Intentions
Curse of the Golden Flower
- (Daywatch) ?The Departed
Face/Off
- ? The Fast and the Furious?
Fear
Garden State
Hairspray
- ? The Holiday
Hope Floats
The Island
Knocked Up
Ladder 49
The Last Kiss
The Last Unicorn
Little Miss Sunshine
Look Who's Talking
Marie Antoinette
The Mirror Has Two Faces
Monster House
The New World
- ? The Notebook?
Panic Room
Pieces of April
Rudy
RV
The Saint
Scream
Shrek 2
Sister Act
Speed
Stardust
Steel Magnolias
Thelma and Louise
Throw Momma from the Train
Transformers
The Truth About Cats & Dogs
Uncle Buck
The Village
Walk the Line
Wedding Crashers
Old 03-25-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
A few yrs ago I converted my double-alpha cases to the regular dvd cases... I later regretted it but was still able to trade them in.

I now recommend that if you have space issues (and what usually goes along with that - time issues), it might be time to start trading in dvd's. That, along with buying Blu-Ray (not as thin as the thin packs, but still space-saving) has just about halved my shelf-space. Now that the fat's been trimmed I do enjoy my collection more, and I've got my cd's on the other shelf.

Last edited by Artman; 03-25-08 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-26-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think I could ever cut up my DVD's either. I guess its a decent solution if you have space issues, but luckily my collection is toping out at around 400 and going Blu-Ray is going to help due to the size of those cases.
Old 03-26-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
that's quite ghetto
Old 03-26-08, 07:18 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276
that's quite ghetto
desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 03-26-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts
I guess its a matter of space and how many DVDs you have. But since we're asking questions, how tall are you TallGuy?
Old 03-26-08, 10:49 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I guess its a matter of space and how many DVDs you have. But since we're asking questions, how tall are you TallGuy?
6'7"
Old 03-26-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess the game didn't last long.

I think it's a good idea though, Tall...it's definitely better than binders if you're into saving your collection. And they look pretty good, I was just razzing ya.

BUT, I still think it's solution #2 - after selling off some of the collection. But that's just me. At least see if you have anything OOP and worth something before cutting up the covers?
Old 03-26-08, 11:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the game didn't last long.

I think it's a good idea though, Tall...it's definitely better than binders if you're into saving your collection. And they look pretty good, I was just razzing ya.

BUT, I still think it's solution #2 - after selling off some of the collection. But that's just me. At least see if you have anything OOP and worth something before cutting up the covers?

well, I've become quite good at folding over the covers, so I am no longer cutting them... putting the original dvd cases and/or slip covers up in a box in the attic... trust me, I would rather NOT do it... but, until I can afford a 2000 square foot media room, ya have to do what ya have to do. As for selling off some of my collection, I know the moment I sell it off, I'd regret it and end up rebuying it.
Old 03-26-08, 05:32 PM

hey TallGuyMe

I started this conversion a couple years ago, i got some crap from people including the "you can't read the title" stuff. i was like, hey its my collection, my limited space not like i have to let you peruse my collection. and i'm like you i won't be trading or selling mine anyways. id just rebuy them. the only ones i haven't converted are someof my 2 disk movies and my tv shows, but i would love to get them in some slim multidisk holders to reduce their space, just the ones that didn't come in the slim cases already. As for my 2 disk movies, just havn't gotten around to buying the 2 disk slim cases.

I have about 1200 titles also, so it does take up some space.

And like you have been lately, i fold my covers to fit i never trimmed them.
Old 03-26-08, 05:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I'm leaning towards doing this. One hang up I have is that I'm real particular on saving all of the liner notes, booklets, etc; and I have a lot of DVDs that include oversize booklets or whatnot. So my collection will look strange with one oversize package every 5-10 slimcases. And that's not even counting all the huge TV set complete collections.....

But then, I guess I could put absolutely everything in slimcases, and throw all the larger size booklets and doodads in one big tub kept in the closet or under the bed.....

Just trying to balance my OCDness to keep everything in its proper place with my OCDness of wanting everything in the same format (slimcase) with my space concerns.

Knowing me, I'll spends weeks re-doing it one way and a year later switch everything back. I probably spend more time buying and organizing my collection than watching it.
Old 03-27-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noooooo!

stop it! stop! it!

nah nanana nah nah nanah! nananannannanannanannnanaaann!

whatever works for you guys is cool because life is too short to stress too much about these silly dvd things we call our lives
Old 03-27-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Eh, I could never do this to my DVDs. I've already taken half a bookcase of books I hadn't touched in a decade and put them in storage to give myself more room.
Old 03-27-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I wish someone made a thin case with a little wider front and back cover so you could put the wrap in the case without cutting anything. I would convert mine in a heartbeat. .
Mentioned in other threads: discsox.com

I finally went ahead and bought several hundred of the factory seconds for about 50cents each. Only about 2% were unusable due to manufacturing defects, the rest I could barely tell there were any flaws.

But most of the posts here are concerned about spine readability, which there is none. I've got the collector mentality too, and I always want the option of getting an empty case out of the garage and reselling my DVDs as "like new", because I've always got an upgrade to justify.
Old 03-27-08, 11:07 AM

Just an fyi, i was at sam's club in ann arbor mich, and they have 100 pack of slim cases for $24.99
Old 03-27-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
This is probably a road I'm going to have to travel on soon. My racks are pretty much tapped out with 500 DVDs and TV shows. I might consider doing this on some titles that don't have inserts. After all, the thickness of the cases are just wasted bookcase space.

Then again, there's the part of me that doesn't want to deform my precious DVD collection
Old 03-27-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to be able to do this but, I could replace some smaller shelving with larger shelving units that would grant me a more pleasant way to store my discs. 100 for about $20 and well, I could get some larger shelving and not have to spend eons transferring my collection into smaller cases. What might be cool though, would be to put them in an Excel database (as I already have my collection on shelves alphabetized with a running Excel list), and just number the thinpacks and put corresponding numbers numerically in my database.

There's not really any great options for reducing DVD space. I wouldn't use disc socks because the idea of a disc not being secured in something, isn't cool for me. Binders are an absolute 'no' for me as I've had CD's in the past I took care of quite well but over time they'd get scuffs anyway.

I also wouldn't want to spend the time and money on ink, that it would take, to print new covers for thinpacks. I wouldn't be able to fold or cut my original DVD artwork.

I'm surprised that there really isn't a great alternative on the web that would really store a lot in a smaller space, such as the DVD drawers thing I've seen on this forum elsewhere, that's at a cheap-ish price. When that day comes, count me in.
Old 03-27-08, 08:51 PM

If it didn't take a billion hours to do it, I'd rip all my dvds to a hard drive and then have quick access to them all at the push of a remote.
Old 03-27-08, 09:16 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by treszoks
If it didn't take a billion hours to do it, I'd rip all my dvds to a hard drive and then have quick access to them all at the push of a remote.
I Started to do that actually. Ripped them into avi form tho

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.