The Complete Toxic Avenger April 29

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Complete Toxic Avenger April 29

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish Troma would license their films out to companies that actually know how to release a decent DVD.
Old 10-16-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
If I do not own these films already would it better to just buy 1-4 all separately? Are the versions of 1-3 in the "Tox Box" good picks if I'm concerned about full uncut status and OAR?

Amazon's current sale on the new set is nice ($34.99) but I definitely want the uncut/OAR versions of the films.

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-16-08 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-17-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
Aw, I saw xage was the newest post in here, and was kinda hoping we would get one of his famous pictures of the new set
Anyways, I'm glad the new set contains the old disc.
I just stumbled to this thread and saw your post joltman. Sorry, I didnt get the new set as I've heard prior its release that part II will be the cut version.

related thread topics:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...y-edition.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/47...s-cartoon.html

Im a fan of the Toxie and what made me become a Troma fan was because of Toxic Avenger II's was the first Troma film I saw and got shocked with the wheelchair of death!

so.. I will stick to my lenticular boxset (with citzen toxie 2disc and sgt kabuki man dvd):

Old 10-17-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The version of the original film in the set is the initial DVD release, with the film in OAR. You gain the film in it's OAR, you lose all the extras that came with the two-disc 21st anniversary set.

There is no R1 DVD that exists of Part II uncut.

I'm still awaiting the day Troma goes under (surprised it hasn't happened yet) and a DVD studio who knows what the fuck they're doing (Blue Underground and Dark Sky for example) get ahold of the films and give them the releases they properly deserve.
Old 10-17-08, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
There is no R1 DVD that exists of Part II uncut.
So are there only Uncut releases for 1, 2 and 4?

Is the "Unrated Director's Cut" on Part II's (seperate) DVD release just a sham then?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...PL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-17-08 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-18-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The best part of the Complete Toxic Avenger is having the whole cartoon series. Pretty much the only reason I bought it.
Old 10-19-08, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asianxcore
So are there only Uncut releases for 1, 2 and 4?

Is the "Unrated Director's Cut" on Part II's (seperate) DVD release just a sham then?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...PL._SS500_.jpg

The original box set, thet one Xage has a picture of contains the uncut part 2. It was later released separately, but in the exact same package as the cut R rated version. So there is no way to tell them apart unfortunately.

So, you'll just have to chance it. If there is no gore in the film, you have the R version. If there is graphic gore, you have the uncut version. That's my assumption anyway(based on how cut Troma films are), since I've never seen parts 2 and 3 before(besides bits on USA when I was a kid).
Old 10-19-08, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The original box set, thet one Xage has a picture of contains the uncut part 2. It was later released separately, but in the exact same package as the cut R rated version. So there is no way to tell them apart unfortunately.

So, you'll just have to chance it. If there is no gore in the film, you have the R version. If there is graphic gore, you have the uncut version. That's my assumption anyway(based on how cut Troma films are), since I've never seen parts 2 and 3 before(besides bits on USA when I was a kid).
Is the animated film in this new collection? I know the series is, but is the film?
Old 10-19-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe that if it has the triangle in the upper left corner then it is the true directors cut (see picture below). It was sold as part of a two pack with some Vampire Triple Header but I think that's out of print as well. I ended up downloading it from eztakes.com which is the full uncut version. It stinks that I have a DVD-R in the middle of the my boxset but the R-rated version cuts out so much.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Is the animated film in this new collection? I know the series is, but is the film?
The animated film is just the first few episodes edited together which are included in the set.

Unrated

Rated R
Old 10-19-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm still awaiting the day Troma goes under (surprised it hasn't happened yet)
might be a long time coming as Poultygeist is getting great reviews and is about to come to dvd. It will probably be their first real hit since Tromeo & Juliet. Wal-Mart also is doing distribution for it, as well as the Toxic Avenger, and possibly some other titles if sales go well. With Toxie running on G4 almost every week, i got a feeling the stock is going up.
Old 10-19-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for that.

I'm assuming all R1 versions of Part 1 were released Uncut. Just ordered Part 1 a couple days ago, so I hope that's the case
Old 10-19-08, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for that.

I'm assuming all R1 versions of Part 1 were released Uncut. Just ordered Part 1 a couple days ago, so I hope that's the case

Part 1 on dvd has always been uncut in the U.S.

The R version has only been released on VHS and I think an early laserdisc release(I know I saw one on ebay with the R rating on it before). It's heavily cut obviously. I rented it once on VHS a few years ago just because it's so hard to find that version. It was pretty amusing the continuity issues that resulted from the cuts.
Old 10-22-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my used order of Toxic Avenger (Director's Cut) from SecondSpin.com

Paid around $7 for it and it came with an expected surprise. It had a printed seal on the DVD that stated "Limited Edition Collector's DVD". When I opened it up there was a special insert that was signed and hand numbered (1781/2,000) by director Lloyd Kaufman.

What are the odds?
Old 10-23-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
might be a long time coming as Poultygeist is getting great reviews and is about to come to dvd. It will probably be their first real hit since Tromeo & Juliet. Wal-Mart also is doing distribution for it, as well as the Toxic Avenger, and possibly some other titles if sales go well. With Toxie running on G4 almost every week, i got a feeling the stock is going up.
It hasn't been going in that direction since they had to move to a smaller office a few months back. One hit doesn't reverse all the money problems they've had.
Old 10-23-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

true enough, but they finally got even on Tales from the Crapper (which is what caused all the fallout). Things are tough all over for indie labels, and through it all Troma has survived. Wal-Mart is a huge deal for any indie label, but seeing as the Towers/Suncoast of the world (which were some of the B&M places that stocked Troma) are long gone it will help.
Old 07-26-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Complete Toxic Avenger April 29

Does Part 3 suffer from the same problem as 1 and 2? Where the packaging for the R-Rated and Unrated versions are exactly the same?