Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing DVD Shelf!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Amazing DVD Shelf!

Old 03-17-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I'll pass too - I'd rather have 2 shelves side by side or one on top of the other. Actually I think my home built shelf is MUCH nicer, you can find pics of it here:
http://danwiz.com/Dec2005DVDCollecti...Collection.php

Last edited by danwiz; 07-20-10 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danwiz
I'll pass too - I'd rather have 2 shelves side by side or one on top of the other. Actually I think my home built shelf is MUCH nicer, you can find pics of it here:
http://danwiz.com/Dec2005DVDCollecti...ollection.html
Damn, I have to say that is a very nice shelf (and collection!). I assume the left panel must stick out awkwardly though.
Old 03-17-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To TheDuke: Actually - if you look at the right hand picture you see that the left panel "closes" and if you take a look at the "base" you see that there is nothing awkward about the way it sticks out. Understand?
Old 03-18-08, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To TheDuke: Actually - if you look at the right hand picture you see that the left panel "closes" and if you take a look at the "base" you see that there is nothing awkward about the way it sticks out. Understand?
I've seen pictures of your shelf before (VERY nice by the way) and I'm sure it was asked in that thread but can't remember.
Is there any reason why you don't have two closing shelves? I think my collection would fit perfectly with two "doors", plus I think it would look nicer closed up.
Old 03-18-08, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh my... gosh?
Old 03-18-08, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd buy one...but then I'd have something in common with the jackass in the video.
Old 03-18-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks neat, but I'm sure I'd get pretty tired of raising that thing over and over anytime I wanted to watch a film that was hidden. Still, good for him if he's so excited.
Old 03-18-08, 01:12 PM

I see it now. I didn't actually look at the second picture before
Old 03-18-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Great idea until that back compartment gets stuck one day and he can't watch the good movies he's hiding back there. Then we will see how "CRAZY!" it is.
Or one from the back section slips and gets wedged between shelves. Up...snap...fuck!

Looks cool, but not practical.
Old 03-18-08, 09:13 PM

http://danwiz.com/Dec2005DVDCollecti...ollection.html
I've been wanting to make something similar to this, but I wasn't sure that the piano hinge would be strong enough to support the weight of the swinging shelf. Have you had any problems with it?
Old 03-18-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eightiesguy
I've been wanting to make something similar to this, but I wasn't sure that the piano hinge would be strong enough to support the weight of the swinging shelf. Have you had any problems with it?
I just showed pictures of his shelf to a guy I work with who makes cabinets in his spare time. He seemed pretty excited to try his hand (with his own improvements) and says he will only charge the cost of materials for his first attempt. Of course his will include both folding shelves.
Old 03-19-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had absolutely no problems with anything getting loose and no splitting of the wood with the use of the piano hinges. Course the hinge has something like 39 screws per side, so it's unlikely that there would be any problems. The only reason I have not built both sides of it yet is because the layout of the room is much more user friendly with only the left side complete. Of course when I get everything filled then I'll feel more compelled to build the right hand closing shelf.

Deputy Dave - please show me some pictures of the version the guy at work builds for you. Never know - I might want to try it a 2nd time! I'm just an amateur woodworker though. So, please remember my name and e-mail me some pictures when the project is complete, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-19-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had absolutely no problems with anything getting loose and no splitting of the wood with the use of the piano hinges. Course the hinge has something like 39 screws per side, so it's unlikely that there would be any problems. The only reason I have not built both sides of it yet is because the layout of the room is much more user friendly with only the left side complete. Of course when I get everything filled then I'll feel more compelled to build the right hand closing shelf.

Deputy Dave - please show me some pictures of the version the guy at work builds for you. Never know - I might want to try it a 2nd time! I'm just an amateur woodworker though. So, please remember my name and e-mail me some pictures when the project is complete, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Cool, I will. The only thing he mentioned he would do differently was the way you joined the shelves to the side. I don't know anything about woodworking (and am completely impressed with your shelf) so I didn't get completely what he was talking about.

I did understand why you staggered the braces/spacers on the shelves after he explained it. It was one thing that always stood out but I guess it is necessary.
Old 03-19-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks a bunch DeputyDave.

danwiz
Old 03-19-08, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks a bunch DeputyDave.

danwiz
Did you come up with the design yourself? Because if he decides to sell them you should get a taste.
Old 03-19-08, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DeputyDave: Yup, it's my design. I have all of my original drawings and everything so that when I get ready, I can look at them and get right to work on building the right side door and easily stick to the same specs.

danwiz