Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Check out my collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robert2339
i'm very proud of my collection that fits within the narrow stratum of contemporary, English-language, fictional entertainments. i'm sorry my collection does not meet your film snob expectations.
So what part of "let me know what you think" did you mean?
Old 03-17-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
i'm sorry my collection does not meet your film snob expectations.
I find it funny that someone wants people to comment on their collection (which I will never understand), and then gets upset if someone makes a slightly critical comment. I guess you just want to show off your collection and get praised about your taste.

so here, this assessment should make you feel good:

"Boy, you have awesome taste, I wish I had a collection like yours. I will worship at the altar of your DVDSpot page for all eternity"

Last edited by Jaymole; 03-17-08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats next, a "rate my penis" thread ?
Old 03-18-08, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my three cents worth:

In balance, your collection is good and I like several of your non-mainstream choices. However...

- You seem to have a serious case of Criterion Disease. Don't get me wrong, they have fantastic taste in movies, and their presentations are usually superb, but you shouldn't let yourself be completely swayed by the relatively small number of films they are able to acquire and release.

Because you'll end up with oddities like The Milky Way being your only Bunuel, The Lady Vanishes as your only Hitchcock, and Ace in the Hole as your lone Wilder. All of which are excellent films to be sure, but those directors have dozens more even greater films to their credit, many of which are available on DVD in excellent quality, and for far cheaper than those Criterions.

Also, Bicycle Thieves and Breathless are masterpieces and arguably the pinnacle films of two of the greatest movements in cinema history, and you should be proud to own them. But if you truly enjoy those films, you should be interested in exploring those movements and filmmakers more deeply. Again, you'll discover scores of other extraordinary movies. Having them (along with The 400 Blows) as your only representations of those respective waves is like having one Miles Davis Greatest Hits CD in your collection to show you appreciate jazz. Either get into it or don't bother with it, but don't just skim the surface if it's something you really like. IMO.

- Okay, classic Hollywood obviously isn't your thing. Fine, I guess (though you're really missing out). But just based on a general read of your taste from browsing your collection, there is no way in hell you wouldn't like way more 70s movies than you currently own. I'm talking classics like Dog Day Afternoon, All the President's Men, The Deer Hunter, Jaws, Chinatown, Network, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Raging Bull (1980, but...)- all of which have great Special Editions- for starters. But also, Fat City, The Conversation, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Charley Varrick, Straight Time, Slap Shot, All That Jazz, The Last Detail... and the list could go on and on... seem like they might be right up your alley.

- Not to keep pounding, but these notable and diverse directors are completely absent from your list: Fellini, Rossellini, Kurosawa, Herzog, Fassbinder, Lean, Sayles, Waters, Fuller, Wenders, Hawks, Sturges, Huston, Vidor, Ford, Zinnemann, Cukor, Stevens, Lubitsch, Preminger, Curtiz, Sirk, Kazan, Rossen, Capra, Ray (Nicolas & Satyajit), Cassavetes, Bogdanovich, Losey, Antonioni, Bergman, Powell/Pressburger, Egoyan, Haynes, Ferrara, Schlesinger, Rohmer, Rivette, Stone, Polanski... and that's off the top of my head. I mean, over 1200 DVDs, and NONE of those guys appeal to you? Not to mention, one Anthony Mann and it's El Cid? One Peckinpah, and it's The Osterman Weekend?? W? T? F?

But like I said, I still kind of like it overall. I've definitely seen a lot worse. Now, I can rail on myself for spending a half-hour mining and mulling over the cinematic tastes and DVD collection of an anonymous stranger... (I guess it has something to do with everyone else in the house watching American Idol)
Old 03-18-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
I find it funny that someone wants people to comment on their collection (which I will never understand), and then gets upset if someone makes a slightly critical comment. I guess you just want to show off your collection and get praised about your taste.

so here, this assessment should make you feel good:

"Boy, you have awesome taste, I wish I had a collection like yours. I will worship at the altar of your DVDSpot page for all eternity"
Agreed

I never really understood the "Rate My Collection/"What Do You Think..." threads, mostly because everyone here has different tastes in movies. I think that's what makes it interesting to hear what people buy, order or try to trade for on a daily/weekly basis.

It just seems silly to me to ask what people think of your collection. Aren't you buying your movies for you? You are buying movies you love and enjoy watching over and over again. Who cares what anyone thinks of your collection.

I'm not going to buy more of X titles/films because someone tells me I need more of them and so forth. If you don't like a certain genre/director/film, then you don't like it and it's the reason it's not in your collection the first place.