DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ken Russell's The Devils ------> May 20

Old 02-29-08, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by kintnerboy
According to Warner Home Video executive publicity director Ronnee Sass, there are no plans to release The Devils on dvd in 2008, despite the appearance of the title on WHV's website, which was "a mistake".
Doesn't WHV do a Q&A every year?

We've got the first question right here...
Old 02-29-08, 06:33 PM

Surely this is more along the lines of Criterion's "there are no plans", i.e. it's not currently on the schedule, than an actual denial that this will come out this year. They would prep artwork and put it on the website if there was no intention of putting it out anytime in 08??
Old 02-29-08, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by indy81
Surely this is more along the lines of Criterion's "there are no plans", i.e. it's not currently on the schedule, than an actual denial that this will come out this year. They would prep artwork and put it on the website if there was no intention of putting it out anytime in 08??
The artwork posted looked phony.What's with the Jesus of Nazareth looking dude standing on the right?That's not from the movie.Don't expect this anytime soon unfortunately.
Old 02-29-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I kinda thought maybe that Warner wouldn't release a cover that looks like a dude getting a blowjob.
Old 03-01-08, 11:58 AM

So some disgruntled WHV employee designed his own artwork and put it up on a web site available only to retail stores...as a prank? Seems like a stretch. It's hard to believe this isn't at least in the works.
Old 03-03-08, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by indy81
So some disgruntled WHV employee designed his own artwork and put it up on a web site available only to retail stores...as a prank? Seems like a stretch. It's hard to believe this isn't at least in the works.
WB has for the last five years or so says that this film will eventually get released on DVD, but they always give an excuse. I knew it was too good to be true... WB US has always hated this film (or really really embarrassed), it's the thorn in their side and promising a disc for the few rabid fans (raises hands) seems just to grate them... well, that bootleg seems tempting now.

Last edited by Giles; 03-03-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
The Boyfriend is also a MGM release.
Are you sure? I always thought it was part of the MGM catalog that is now owned by Warners. I don't believe it's a United Artists production like THE MUSIC LOVERS is, which is why that one is still with MGM. I'm just trying to keep it all straight. And who owns VALENTINO (as if anyone cares)? Was it a UA production and still with MGM, or is it now with Warner?

Too bad about THE DEVILS. There's always hope that they are just creating something bigger and better for its eventual release, but I don't feel very optimistic right now.
Old 03-05-08, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine
Are you sure? I always thought it was part of the MGM catalog that is now owned by Warners. I don't believe it's a United Artists production like THE MUSIC LOVERS is, which is why that one is still with MGM. I'm just trying to keep it all straight. And who owns VALENTINO (as if anyone cares)? Was it a UA production and still with MGM, or is it now with Warner?

Too bad about THE DEVILS. There's always hope that they are just creating something bigger and better for its eventual release, but I don't feel very optimistic right now.
I'm just going off the fact that the laserdisc I own was a MGM release, it wouldn't surprise me if it's now owned by Warners.
Old 04-01-08, 02:41 PM

in a major change of plan - Warner relents and decides to actually release this on the 20th of May

April Fools
Old 04-01-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 11-10-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ken Russell's The Devils ------> May 20

From the Criterion Forum:
Oh well, the cat's out of the bag, so here goes...

There are a few things I can't reveal yet, like the extras (though there'll be plenty) - but yes, after much arm-twisting the BFI has indeed persuaded Warner Bros to let them handle The Devils, and a packed two-disc lovingly-curated special edition will be out next March.

I'll get the bad news out of the way right now: as already spotted, it's DVD only, and it's the 1971 British theatrical cut, not the 2004 restoration. Since BFI DVD Publishing is demonstrably run by Blu-ray evangelists and has a policy of sourcing the longest available version of the films they put out, you probably don't need to live at 221B Baker Street to work out the reasons for this.

But that really does appear to be all the bad news. I've seen the full specs, and it looks like an absolute blinder of a release - and hopefully all will be revealed in a matter of days.
Old 11-10-11, 08:00 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So does this mean Warner has ended their policy of not licensing to other companies? I would love to see Criterion or even Olive put out some other titles instead of a archive work by Warner. Maybe this shows a loosening on that intolerable policy.
Old 11-11-11, 12:51 AM

I worked for 20 weeks on The Devils down at Pinewood as a stand/in for Dudley Sutton and talk about it on my web bio... Great film and will buy the DVD to remember good faces from 40 years ago..
Old 11-12-11, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by man*machine View Post

digressing here, but The Boyfriend has become available via Warner Archive Collection - it's not a bad transfer but I wish a British import would actually do a high def transfer and release this on bluray.