Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anchor Bay to re-release Tenebre and Phenemona

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crs
Nothing bad with that, the discs fit nicely inside and takes less space on the shelf.
For me, it's a pain in the ass to have to remove one or two discs to get to the one I want. Plus, the hubs in these types of cases tend to either be too strong where you risk breaking the disc taking it out or too weak where you risk having scratched-up floaters.
Old 05-23-08, 02:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by crs
Nothing bad with that, the discs fit nicely inside and takes less space on the shelf.
nothing bad at all. i have this along with others with 6-discs. they all fit very nice, snug and hubs are maybe a hair tighter which just means more secure for all the dvd's. having to pick one disc up to get to another is a lame excuse to pass on this very nicely done collection.

my only gripe is that "The Card Player" is the only movie in the set that doesn't have large font title on the disc. i find it very curious.
Old 05-23-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
having to pick one disc up to get to another is a lame excuse to pass on this very nicely done collection.
I never said I was gonna boycott the release. I'll be buying it along with everyone else. I was simply stating my displeasure with the packaging decision. After all, the disc content/quality is what matters (and that may be jeopardized, too, if they don't correct the interlace issue).
Old 05-23-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, all of the discs in this package are exactly the same as they would be if you bought them individually, right?
Old 05-23-08, 07:05 PM
crs

Originally Posted by Peep
So, all of the discs in this package are exactly the same as they would be if you bought them individually, right?
Yes, the contents of the discs are the same.
Old 05-23-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I own all but the latest 2 and just ordered them from DeepDiscount. Even if I hadn't, I don't think I'd want them all crammed together in one keepcase, even if it's a steelbook.
Old 05-23-08, 10:15 PM

I was able to find the following somewhat detailed/muffled studio artwork of the individual ce releases...

I have "Phenomena" on preorder; next to "Stendhal Syndrome" it's my favorite Argento film.

Last edited by SwiftKnuckleJim; 05-23-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dvdbeaver.com reviews are up:

phenomena
tenebre
Old 05-25-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks Riot!

If I can find the new Phenomena disc cheap, I'll probably pick it up. Otherwise I'm happy with my old AB disc.

Also it's worth mentioning that in the Tenebre comparison, someone contacted DVDBeaver and mentioned there was vertical stretching on the image. Yikes.
Old 05-25-08, 02:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I kind of like the covers-its too bad they cant all be customized to be consistant.
Atlantic DVD in Sweden put out a box of 8-9 discs which all had the same design/color template, with the (new art) blending in with the template color and a "Dario Argento Collection" with consistent fonts across the top.
Old 05-26-08, 11:37 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
just saw "Phenomena". very weird, very Argento like and i really dug it. i mean the dialogue is laughable and some of the acting is just weird but i guess that is what these giallos are all about. didn't like "Suspiria" the first time i saw it, but i bought it to give it another chance. and now, i look forward to the others in the collection.
Old 05-28-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the set at Zia Records today for $39 (cheaper than Best Buy and Borders here in the Vegas market).

Tenebre is at 1.85:1 and the vertical stretching isn't as bad as DVD Beaver and their users are making it out to be. I tried the disc out on both my 24" iMac and my 36" Sony HDTV and everything looks fine. Not a great transfer, but an improvement over the previous release.

Phenomena is at 1.66:1 and is the bigger improvement over the previous DVD, but the transfer is full of grain.

After waiting eight years, I'm a little displeased with the set to be honest. The transfers, while an improvement, are nothing to write home about. The extras, still the same, with the exception of barely 20-minute featurettes added to both. Doesn't help that the DVDs are interlaced and not set for progressive.
Old 05-28-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Your bestbuy has the steelbook? cool.. because most bestbuy got a delay in shipment for the set.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I picked up the set at Zia Records today for $39 (cheaper than Best Buy and Borders here in the Vegas market).

Tenebre is at 1.85:1 and the vertical stretching isn't as bad as DVD Beaver and their users are making it out to be. I tried the disc out on both my 24" iMac and my 36" Sony HDTV and everything looks fine. Not a great transfer, but an improvement over the previous release.

Phenomena is at 1.66:1 and is the bigger improvement over the previous DVD, but the transfer is full of grain.

After waiting eight years, I'm a little displeased with the set to be honest. The transfers, while an improvement, are nothing to write home about. The extras, still the same, with the exception of barely 20-minute featurettes added to both. Doesn't help that the DVDs are interlaced and not set for progressive.
Old 05-28-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's good to know. I was going to pass on the new Tenebre because of the stretching, and only buy Phenomena. But since you've said that distortion isn't as bad as DVD Beaver made it out to be, I'll probably get both.
Old 05-28-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
That's good to know. I was going to pass on the new Tenebre because of the stretching, and only buy Phenomena. But since you've said that distortion isn't as bad as DVD Beaver made it out to be, I'll probably get both.
I would honestly just wait and get the set during DDD's 20% sale in a few days where it'll probably cost $24.
Old 05-28-08, 12:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll gonna wait but not for a sale, but for news of bluray editions, I shot AB/Starz an email about how pissed I was that their bluray output is terribly lacking.
Old 05-28-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I'll gonna wait but not for a sale, but for news of bluray editions, I shot AB/Starz an email about how pissed I was that their bluray output is terribly lacking.
With the way the DVDs currently look, I don't know think the BDs would look that amazing. You know?
Old 05-28-08, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giles
Is this the e-mail they sent you back?:

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND BLU-RAY titles are NOT SELLING ANYWHERE NEAR THE LEVEL DVD'S ARE SELLING AND STUDIOS (especially ones with mostly specialty titles like Starz/Anchor Bay) CANNOT AFFORD TO PUT OUT TITLES LIKE THIS ARGENTO BOX.
Old 05-28-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would honestly just wait and get the set during DDD's 20% sale in a few days where it'll probably cost $24.
I already have Hitchcock and Trauma, but if the set is $24 during the sale then I'll probably just get that for spacial reasons.
Old 05-28-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I already have Hitchcock and Trauma, but if the set is $24 during the sale then I'll probably just get that for spacial reasons.
I already had Hitchcock and Card Player and I wanted the nice tin. I am probably going to trade in Hitchcock and Card Player this weekend at Zia to get money off the Rambo six-disc tin.

Honestly, I would've paid the extra $10-15 if the set included the Demons re-releases from a few months back as I haven't picked them up yet.

It sucks that the three Argento Limited Edition sets that Anchor Bay put out five or six years ago are now pretty much worthless. What sucks the most is that one set contains Pheonema and Inferno and the other has Deep Red and Tenebre. Bah.
Old 05-28-08, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
Your bestbuy has the steelbook? cool.. because most bestbuy got a delay in shipment for the set.

Any word on how long the delay is? I tried to pick them up yesterday, but no luck.