Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Battle Royale Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battle Royale Question

Which one's the best version for Battle Royale? I heard a lot of positive feedback on this Japanese flick so I'm gonna have me a copy. Is there a boxed set for BR 1 and 2? Many thanks!
Old 02-10-08, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Link to that information...

i think most agree that's THE site for this stuff...

it's honestly hard to believe there hasn't been a first rate release of this in Region 1...

especially considering the many, many, huge profit releases on DVD of Asian films... and considering the massive 'cult' status of this film... i mean how many other films have such a well-known and comprehensive website JUST on a single movie...

just doesn't make sense...
Old 02-10-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

it's honestly hard to believe there hasn't been a first rate release of this in Region 1...

especially considering the many, many, huge profit releases on DVD of Asian films... and considering the massive 'cult' status of this film... i mean how many other films have such a well-known and comprehensive website JUST on a single movie...

just doesn't make sense...
Maybe the cost in getting the rights to this flick are too high. I have an import DVD, but like you said this is a 'cult' film. As the great Martin Mull once said, "A cult following is a nice way in saying very few people like you."
Old 02-10-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know the truthfulness of this, and I don't feel like researching it, but from what I have heard many times in discussions like this, Kinji Fukasaku, the director, didn't want the movie released in America. America is the "other country" referred to in the film that the Japanese government follows and is afraid of at the same time. I have read articles/reviews that claim that Fukasaku hated America. I have also read ones that claim he hated Japan. Both of those seem unlikely considering his involvement with "Tora! Tora! Tora!," which treated both countries pretty respectfully. But there was a big time difference between that and Battle Royale. Who knows what the truth is, and now that he's gone, we'll never know.

I have also heard that the Japanese company that owns it is holding out for more money than American distributors think they can make from it, so it's just not profitable.

I don't think there's any truly reliable source of information on any of this.
Old 02-10-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelowry
Which one's the best version for Battle Royale? I heard a lot of positive feedback on this Japanese flick so I'm gonna have me a copy. Is there a boxed set for BR 1 and 2? Many thanks!
This was discussed back in May of 2007 in this DVDTALK thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....68#post7858068

click on the link

Originally Posted by xage
Looks like similar to the one sold at Hot Topic a year ago.

And its by Wision Entertainment (import from Korea) .. its NTSC and Region Code free
Old 02-10-08, 10:18 PM

My local Hot Topic still carries the "Special Box Set"
and it's a-okay in my book!
Old 02-11-08, 11:13 AM

Honestly, don't even bother with BR2 Requiem. It's an absolute mess of a movie. . .
Old 02-11-08, 11:21 AM

as far as i remember, considering when the film could have been released relatively freshly onto DVD (considering the formats age - about ten years now), the lack of a USA release is to do with the subject matter... all those highschool shootings, all the discussion of film versus reality and so on.

...it's nothing at all really to do with a current perception of a downturn in "cult films" on DVD (which is very much a "now" issue than can be connected, unnecessarily or inaccurately i think, to how it's always been a borderline / niche market by comparison to the dominant taste) or to do with "lack of insight or understanding" of the film, as some might like to describe it, in order to manipulate the value of the film to themselves or others as being "easy for me, difficult for you" as it were. it's a great film, not watched it in a long time, but it always seemed to me to be lauded by a very teen end of the market for japanese films in the west, despite the broad and powerful political impact that's contained within the film and how it was seen upon release in japan and how it's done by someone whom didn't quite seem to have the same recognition stateside then and he does now, post all those homevision releases of his stunning 70's work.

never mind, other countries have released it. the one frequently lusted after is the R2 UK tin, but another version may be preferred by now.

Last edited by logboy; 02-11-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-11-08, 12:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbes4444
Honestly, don't even bother with BR2 Requiem. It's an absolute mess of a movie. . .
I second that.
Old 02-11-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
At the very least, try to watch the original theatrical version first. Not sure how many editions contain it, but it's a vastly more satisfying experience than the expanded director's cut issued months later, which adds in a ridiculous amount of "back story" sequences that stop the narrative cold.
Old 02-11-08, 12:58 PM

Wait for a BR BR at this point. Even if you import it it will be the same region.
Old 02-11-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for the original UK/R2 "for NTSC players" version. Is this OOP? As far as I know, it's either the only release (or the best quality release) of the original director's cut. I also used to have the expanded version (by Starmax, I think), but sold it as soon as I watched it. Did not care for the additional scenes, and the very slight improvements in the transfer were negated by awful, large subtitles.
Old 02-12-08, 04:36 AM

I've opted for the BR Special Edition Tartan R2 release. The collector's Tin Ed. woul've been cool but pretty hard to find.

Old 02-12-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually prefer the original cut to the director's extended version. The extra blood is a nice addition, CGI as it is, but I think the extra dream scenes and basketball sequences detract from the overall flow of the film. My vote for the best edition, if you can find it, is the R0 Tartan NTSC version. It has a great anamorphic picture and is 5.1, although there isn't much in the way of extras it's a great disc.
Old 02-12-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelowry
I've opted for the BR Special Edition Tartan R2 release. The collector's Tin Ed. woul've been cool but pretty hard to find.
this is probably the worst choice you could've made. i own this copy and the transfer has TERRIBLE ghosting/combing.
Old 02-12-08, 12:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I found BRII to be extremely underrated film. Check out the "Revenge" cut, much better. Far from a mess though in any version, though.
Old 02-12-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The UK "NTSC, DD 5.1" version is the one I have - and it's pretty damn sweet. I think it's out of print..

Please, please, please, please for the love of god, DON'T BUY the sequel. It's a piece of crap. It would be the same as buying Son of Mask if you own The Mask. You may be a completist, but please, try and control yourself and don't buy this sequel.
Old 02-12-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by logboy
as far as i remember, considering when the film could have been released relatively freshly onto DVD (considering the formats age - about ten years now), the lack of a USA release is to do with the subject matter... all those highschool shootings, all the discussion of film versus reality and so on.
I doubt it's not released here because of Columbine and stuff. Just like i'm sure The Mist dvd poster was not 'changed'(removing the kid from the artwork) because of the 'controversial ending' as a certain website speculated.

I'm sure it's just money issues being the main culprit. I've heard the rights holders wanted to much money for the film. And or demanded a major uncut theatrical release of the film. Which considering it may earn an NC-17,would be a huge waste of money on the studios part.

Either way, I think Tom Cruise or someone bought the U.S. remake rights to the film. And if it ever gets made. A R1 release of the film will see the light of day.
Old 02-12-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The notion that this film doesn't have a R1 release because "it's too controversial" strikes me as total bunk. The film simply isn't particularly shocking. The novel, of course, was a huge controversy in Japan because of a number of violent youthful crimes that preceded and followed its release and which were highly unusual for the country.

Because of Columbine? Please. See "Elephant". See "River's Edge". See "Bully". Because of scary "reality TV" killing? See "Series 9: The Contenders". For graphic violence in general? Ahem... are you joking?

I like the film. I like my UK "for NTSC players" disc of the original cut, and recommend this disc (and only this disc). But the film is a bit of a goof. It's neither highly realistic, nor internally consistent. For anyone thinking that this is somehow the be-all/end-all of transgressive cinema, well you're bound to be letdown. It's so-so satire, occasionally humorous, often gory, and every now and again it hits on something sorta true about teenage emotions. But mostly it's rather obviously a few steps removed from reality and tries to be little more than a well-constructed thrill-ride... with a few nods in the direction of social commentary.
Old 02-12-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i wish i had that UK original cut release...

you guys that do are lucky...

maybe something will happen R1 with a 'both versions' release...

i can dream can't i?...
Old 02-12-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pertinent information:
http://battleroyalefilm.net/movie/banned.html

Sounds like it just costs too damn much. Kind of?
Old 02-12-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anchor Bay have been after the region 1 rights for many many years now, so its certainly NOT about no one here wanting it, thats never been the case.
Old 02-12-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I second that.
I third that. BR2 is easily one of the worst films I've seen in the last 10 years, right up there with Zombiez. Don't waste your time.
Old 02-13-08, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

and from the site itself :

"...With much regret we inform you that we are withholding distribution,
in any formats, of the above mentioned picture for Northwest (sic) America
due to the picture's contents and theme..."
- Hideyuki Baba, Manager, International Sales and Purchasing, Toei

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I doubt it's not released here because of Columbine and stuff. Just like i'm sure The Mist dvd poster was not 'changed'(removing the kid from the artwork) because of the 'controversial ending' as a certain website speculated.
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
The notion that this film doesn't have a R1 release because "it's too controversial" strikes me as total bunk. The film simply isn't particularly shocking. The novel, of course, was a huge controversy in Japan because of a number of violent youthful crimes that preceded and followed its release and which were highly unusual for the country.

Because of Columbine? Please. See "Elephant". See "River's Edge". See "Bully". Because of scary "reality TV" killing? See "Series 9: The Contenders". For graphic violence in general? Ahem... are you joking?
the controversy of the film, in terms of toei's handling of it, relates to their knowledge of how japan has taken the film upon initial release, the effects upon products (especially films) featuring teens / guns / death (teens causing death with guns, of one another - at the initiation of adults wanting a cull of smothered youth) if they happen to coincide with such a (regularish) event in america. it's not just columbine, as it often feels as though foreign attitudes and coverage of american shootings head for a different reaction to even what seems to be happening in america to stem the tide of what seems always to have an obvious solution.
Old 02-13-08, 05:26 AM

Wow I never realized that there's a lot of controversy and issues sorrounding this movie. Now I have see this ASAP!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.