DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sin City Extended?

Old 02-06-08, 04:53 PM

Sin City Extended?

Is this a limited release? Ive been looking everyday for a couple of weeks now and not one store in my area has any in stock.
Old 02-06-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's available at quite few places on-line. Doesn't look to too many good deals, though. (From dvdpricesearch.com). Are you limited yourself to a B&M?

DeepDiscount.com $27.98
Amazon $29.99
DVD Planet $29.95
Best Buy $29.99
DVDPacific.com $29.92
Walmart.com $30.27
Buy.com $29.98
Overstock.com $30.58
Old 02-06-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Before you jump into buying it. Beware that the 'extended' version is a scam. Credits are added for all three stories available for viewing separately. And thus combined the running time is 147 minutes. But the actual amount of added footage to the stories is 5 minutes or less and it's nothing to get excited over!

Thankfully the theatrical cut is available on disc one and is of course awesome. But the 'extended' cut is a joke in my opinion and I don't bother watching it at all. The extras are cool though,with fun commentaries and stuff. So it's worth buying. But if you're eyeing it solely for the 'extended' cut. You're better off sticking with the bare bones edition if you own it already.
Old 02-06-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, the extras are the main reason to buy it, and at that, mainly the commentaries. I liked the featurettes but they were all very "EPK"ish in nature.
Old 02-06-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wouldn't call it a scam. For any fans of the comics, it's a great pickup and great to see the scenes that were left out.
Old 02-06-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wouldn't call it a scam. For any fans of the comics, it's a great pickup and great to see the scenes that were left out.
It's a scam just because it acts like 20 minutes were added in but it's more like 3-5. It's scamminess has nothing to do with the actual content in question, because the content is undeniably cool, just not what is advertised.
Old 02-06-08, 07:58 PM

I got it from Second Spin for only $18.99. It's used, but it's guaranteed to play.
Old 02-06-08, 08:33 PM

is it really that bad, Im a big fan and own the single disc and have been wanting this release for awhile now.The problem is someone got it for me for xmas and it was damaged so I returned it and am now waiting for my store to get them in stock. Those stupid packages are so flimsy.
Old 02-06-08, 08:47 PM

It wasn't bad but pretty unnecessary. I do like watching one story all together occasionally instead of mixed together. If you're a fan then get it. It doesn't really give you a "new" experience but I don't regret buying it. (If I'd bought the first release then I'd be pissed though)
Old 02-06-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many times do they want you to buy this? I bought the first release. Then the SE release, now they have another release ? I double dipped on this the last time, that's good enough for me. Why didn't they put everything in the last release? It's got to stop somewhere. For me, the buck stops on the 2nd, SE release.
Old 02-06-08, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29
How many times do they want you to buy this? I bought the first release. Then the SE release, now they have another release ? I double dipped on this the last time, that's good enough for me. Why didn't they put everything in the last release? It's got to stop somewhere. For me, the buck stops on the 2nd, SE release.
ummm....this is about the second release. relax yourself, save your venom for the next Evil Dead release.
Old 02-06-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mike01
is it really that bad, Im a big fan and own the single disc and have been wanting this release for awhile now.The problem is someone got it for me for xmas and it was damaged so I returned it and am now waiting for my store to get them in stock. Those stupid packages are so flimsy.
Well if it was a gift and you'll get a new copy soon. Then you might as well take advantage of it. I don't see why you'd go buy another copy if you'll get a replacement soon.

And it's not 'bad',just misleading in terms of the 'extended version'. The commentaries are cool and the best of the added features.

I did buy the original release and then picked up the SE. Usually I don't do that. But it was a spur of the moment buy for the bare bones release. But I do kind of wish I didn't bother with the SE. Though I think I got it for a really good price at the time, which is why I decided to pick it up(though I knew of the scamness of the 'extended' cut). And at least the commetaries were a good listen,and the trailers are included.

But in my opinion,I'm sticking with the theatrical cut when viewing the movie.
Old 02-06-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, you'll want to make those breakfast tacos.
Old 02-07-08, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
Somebody didn't read the topic.
Old 02-07-08, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i... i guess all by myself... really liked the little backstory on Marv, and him going to get Gladys...

i really liked everything about the extended version... including 'The Hard Goodbye' book... both versions of the film... the extras... that release is, in comparison to most of them, a high point for me in special releases...
Old 02-07-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everything about this release is good except for the "20 additional minutes" claim
Old 02-07-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is must own if ur a fan of the film and a fan of extras.

The uncut green screen Tarantino directed segment is great. The camera just rolls and u see Tarantino work his magic.