Some lie
1.75%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Did you buy more DVD or HD/Blu

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD's. I'll buy the Blu-Ray when it's available, but there is no way I'm not going to enjoy a smaller release now, when it could be years before they show up in hi-def or if ever.
Old 12-18-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz
Only normal DVD - no HD or Blu-Ray until the format war is won by one or the other!!!
Same here, I'm waiting until there is one next generation disc format before jumping. I'm not getting caught up in this pissing war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD, then end up getting screwed from one or the other/both. I know SD DVDs don't have as great of a picture as Blu-Ray/HD DVDs, but the title selection for SD DVDs blows both formats out of the water. The TV on Blu-Ray/TV on HD DVD selection is pathetic.

The cons of the new formats don't equal the pros. The players are expensive (unless you buy a PS3/Xbox 360), the discs are $10-$15 more than SD, the title selection (like I mentioned earlier) is low, and (like I said earlier) no one "true" next generation format has been put in place.

Stickin' with the ole' SD DVDs, until the war is over.
Old 12-18-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Same here, I'm waiting until there is one next generation disc format before jumping. I'm not getting caught up in this pissing war between Blu-Ray and HD DVD, then end up getting screwed from one or the other/both. I know SD DVDs don't have as great of a picture as Blu-Ray/HD DVDs, but the title selection for SD DVDs blows both formats out of the water. The TV on Blu-Ray/TV on HD DVD selection is pathetic.

The cons of the new formats don't equal the pros. The players are expensive (unless you buy a PS3/Xbox 360), the discs are $10-$15 more than SD, the title selection (like I mentioned earlier) is low, and (like I said earlier) no one "true" next generation format has been put in place.

Stickin' with the ole' SD DVDs, until the war is over.

I'm going with HD-DVD exclusively when I can.

1) The prices for each HD movie, so far, have been pretty damn good. With all the free offers, I have YET to spend over 10.00 for a movie, and I have about 15-20 titles within a month, including new ones like Bourne 3 and Harry 5.

2) If you have an HDTV, you really aren't squeezing out its full potential, unless you have, at the very minimum, a decent upconverting DVD player. And with the Toshiba HD-DVD players being 200.00 plus 10 free movies right out the bat, how can you not jump on the deal?

3) and even if the war is eventually won, and you have a clear victor between HD or Blu-Ray, people's HD collections won't go the way of the dodo, like Divx did 7 years ago. You're still going to have an HD player with HDMI output.
Old 12-18-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know how you can get screwed by buying either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. It's not like if one fails the discs will magically stop working. Or the players for that matter.
Old 12-18-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
With all the B0G0 on BD and HD, it's been hi-def for me.
Old 12-18-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did my tally and I bought a few more Blu's than DVD's, HD discs trailed by about 20 titles.

A large portion of the DVD's were TV box sets though.
Old 12-18-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well considering I don't even have a HD or Blu-Ray player yet, I bought more DVDs.
Old 12-18-07, 05:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I buy more DVD, simply because everything I want isn't always released on BD or HD-DVD. I do however buy more HD-DVD than BD.
Old 12-18-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually bought more HD DVD Players (1) than I did HD/BD discs (0). I got the Toshiba for $98 from Wal Mart which I am using as a beautiful upconverter. I do have 5 free HD coming in the next couple of weeks. Bought about 75-80 dvds. Not much left as far as catalogs to buy. Only new releases and a few double dips. Don't have time for the 800 or so I have now.
Old 12-19-07, 03:52 AM

regular SD DVD for me.
Old 12-19-07, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopower
I don't know how you can get screwed by buying either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. It's not like if one fails the discs will magically stop working. Or the players for that matter.
Yeah, my 8-tracks still play fine!

And my '78's...

And my cassettes...

And my Beta AND VHS...

And my LPs and singles...

And my first computer is still viable, come on!
Old 12-19-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Yeah, my 8-tracks still play fine!

And my '78's...

And my cassettes...

And my Beta AND VHS...

And my LPs and singles...

And my first computer is still viable, come on!

Then why buy anything? Everything will be outdated some day. What's the point? Dumb argument.
Old 12-19-07, 09:19 AM

Well, I wasn't going to buy into HD yet, but I needed a new DVD player, and couldn't pass up the HD-A2 for $90 with 7 free titles. So, now I am ready for HD when I get a TV. For now though, the HD-DVDs are sitting unopened, so I haven't actually converted yet.

But I did buy mostly dvds this year as I'm still not ready for HD, I was just "forced" into it.

And because I have the player, I'm finding it hard to upgrade in SD anymore. I have decided to not get the new Blade Runner in SD, but instead get the HD-DVD 5-disc set and sit on it until I can watch it.
Old 12-19-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Since I buy mostly obscure, older/classic movies and Criterions, I guess I'd have to say SDdvds. But movies like Wild Bunch and Searchers in HD sure are boner-inducing...
Old 12-19-07, 12:52 PM

I bought about 60% regular, 40% blu-ray...

Mostly because most TV shows arn't on blu-ray, I don't have nor plan to get HD-DVD (which leaves all Paramount & Universal movies in SD), and because on certain types of movies (namely comedies) I don't see the point in spending an extra $12 when the picture quality isn't an AMAZING deal...
Old 12-19-07, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by myrdh
once you go HD, you ain't going back. Completely stop on DVD. Only BLU and HD DVD.
yup
Old 12-19-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I just got HD/BD players this fall, I have probably bought more SD. But that should change for 08.
Old 12-19-07, 02:31 PM

I don't buy DVDs anymore with a rare exception here and there. The last two DVDs I purchased off the top of my head are Friday Night Lights Season 1 and Ricky Gervais Live 3: Fame.

Otherwise it's HD-DVD/Blu-ray or nothing.
Old 12-19-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some things, it doesn't make sense to buy HDM if it is an older movie, in my opinion anyways. Also I like to buy SD because I like the special packaging.
Old 12-19-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
For some things, it doesn't make sense to buy HDM if it is an older movie, in my opinion anyways. Also I like to buy SD because I like the special packaging.

Why? The picture and sound quality is better with old movies as well.
Old 12-19-07, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
I beg to differ.

Sincerely,
Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Forbidden Planet, 2001, The Shining, and Blade Runner

Old 12-19-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by myrdh
once you go HD, you ain't going back. Completely stop on DVD. Only BLU and HD DVD.
Not true for me. Yeah it looks better but not enough better to pay 2-6 times as much (depending on the title), plus I only have 1 TV where I can watch HD, which doesn't include the one next to the computer where I watch a lot.

Last edited by Ginwen; 12-19-07 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 02:54 PM

DVD. Simply put, HD/Bluray are far too expensive, don't hold as many movies I want to see, and I don't see what's the problem with standard DVD. Resolution is nice, but not enough to make me pay more with costs going up (healthcare, oil, food, you name it), me not earning more, and with an upconvert player, well most off my movie look fine in this resolution. I think HD/Bluray is a lot of hype at the moment and I have some strange feeling that there are plants on sites like this one that are merely put so as to hype people up to buy more of these things. I see no reason why Bluray or HD should be getting so much attention otherwise so soon. DVD didn't.
Old 12-19-07, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I beg to differ.

Sincerely,
Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Forbidden Planet, 2001, The Shining, and Blade Runner

And again, let's be honest to ourselves. When these movies came out, were resolutions fine? Yes, incredibly so. I have no problem looking at these movies in SD than I do in HD. I see the same thing.
Old 12-19-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno, personally, if it isn't a movie that I think would be better in HD, i.e. the experience. Then it isn't worth it for me to pay the extra to get it in HD when SD is fine with me. Don't get me wrong, I love HDM and love buying and watching movies in HDM but if it isn't something that is worth it to me, I will just grab the SD of it. Especially if I can get it for dirt cheap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.