DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Did you buy more DVD or HD/Blu (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/520287-did-you-buy-more-dvd-hd-blu.html)

kaze0 12-17-07 04:55 PM

Did you buy more DVD or HD/Blu

It's the end of the year so what did you buy more of?

I bought more HD/Blu

SPIDERone 12-17-07 05:20 PM

I would say my Blu/DVD are about equal this year - I bought about 125 Blu Ray discs but also a lot of DVDs during the $3.99 sales going on in the past few months (some days buying 15 during these sales).

I've cut back on HDDVD, buying only exclusive titles on that (lately, catalog titles have been a bit disappointing on it (for full price, at least) and format neutral releases I've been getting on Blu ray).

As far as full priced/new releases go, it would definitely be Blu Ray.

The Bus 12-17-07 05:37 PM

Interesting that this is in the main DVD forum.

So far this year, I think I bought about a dozen (or so) HD DVDs, two BDs, and one DVD (Venture Bros S2).

Sessa17 12-17-07 05:41 PM

I'm pretty sure I spent a lot more money on HD/BD, but in terms of sheer quantity (which is what this thread is asking, not what did you "spend" more on), I'd say I still bought more standard DVDs, only b/c of the 20% off sales, I picked up a ton of old box sets, & cheaper older titles.

TomOpus 12-17-07 06:00 PM

Since I don't have a hi-def player, I bought more DVD :D

haleyxvader 12-17-07 06:03 PM

Only bought DVD, still waiting........

RockyMtnBri 12-17-07 06:10 PM

Blu-Ray most of the time, HD DVD only if the title is not on Blu-Ray.

danwiz 12-17-07 06:40 PM

Only normal DVD - no HD or Blu-Ray until the format war is won by one or the other!!!

Ginwen 12-17-07 06:48 PM

I bought 5 HD DVDs (plus 5 free) and about 100 DVDs.

zombiezilla 12-17-07 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz
Only normal DVD - no HD or Blu-Ray until the format war is won by one or the other!!!

Damn right! It may even be some OTHER format. I certainly don't care enough about HD/BR to re-buy this stuff again...(as I did from VHS to DVD).

chris_sc77 12-17-07 07:29 PM

I bought 5 HD DVDs (plus 5 free) and about 300 DVDs.

mike2 12-17-07 07:31 PM

I just switched the blu so my collection is rather small. I definitely bought more dvds over the year than I did bd. Since I switched to blu, i haven't purchased a standard dvd yet so I'm doing alright.

myrdh 12-17-07 07:37 PM

once you go HD, you ain't going back. Completely stop on DVD. Only BLU and HD DVD.

asianxcore 12-17-07 08:47 PM

Definitely bought more DVD's this year.

I completely slowed down my Blu-Ray/HD-DVD purchases based on cost.

gotrice487 12-18-07 01:41 AM

Dvd

DivxGuy 12-18-07 01:55 AM

6 HD-DVD (plus 5 free), 1 Blu-Ray, and countless DVD.

Jedi Master 33 12-18-07 02:13 AM

DVD

I think HD/BR is a waste of time and money.

xflexxy 12-18-07 02:17 AM

DVD, for me. I haven't switched to any HD format yet because of price and convenience (I like being able to play my DVDs in my laptop).

FantasticVSDoom 12-18-07 07:58 AM

By far more HD/BD. I don't think Ive gotten into double digits with SD DVD this year... Pretty much done with it.

nemein 12-18-07 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Interesting that this is in the main DVD forum.

Cross over threads like this we usually allow to remain in the main forum. After all if it was in the HD/BR forum the poll results would probably be significantly different since more people who visit that forum probably visit this one than vice versa...

For me I'm still pretty much on SD-DVD. I have the capability to play HD/BR (and have the freebies) but I haven't bought any yet. Most of what I've been buying this year are things not on HD/BR.

Brian Shannon 12-18-07 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by haleyxvader
Only bought DVD, still waiting........

:thumbsup:

Not chasing niche formats

Mopower 12-18-07 08:14 AM

I don't buy DVD's anymore. Just HDM.

The Bus 12-18-07 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
Cross over threads like this we usually allow to remain in the main forum. After all if it was in the HD/BR forum the poll results would probably be significantly different since more people who visit that forum probably visit this one than vice versa...

For me I'm still pretty much on SD-DVD. I have the capability to play HD/BR (and have the freebies) but I haven't bought any yet. Most of what I've been buying this year are things not on HD/BR.

Hence I said "interesting" not "shocking"... I think, as you do, that if this was in the HD forum the responses would be so outweighed against DVD that someone would call the format dead.

canaryfarmer 12-18-07 08:25 AM

I bought 0 HD/Blu discs, and uh, well, a lot more than 0 DVDs. Also, I do not understand option #3. It's a well known fact that everybody lies.

naitram 12-18-07 08:29 AM

Bought way more HD and BR this year.

I'm really only buying TV shows on DVD at this point. The only DVD "movie" I've bought recently was Kubrick: Life in Pictures, which wasn't even anamorphic widescreen like advertised, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me...no more standard DVD!