DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Disappointing Criterions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Disappointing Criterions

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
unless you care about color timing and viewing the film as it was meant to be.
Well IMO both the Criterion and the new Universal look very good. But, both are indeed obviously different viewing experiences. IM glad to have both personnally but i dont feel it would take away much watching the new UNiversal remaster. .
Old 07-27-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gobear
Mona Lisa is a huge disappointment, it's an early Criterion, but it's movie-only with not very good picture and sound.
How does the Criterion release of Mona Lisa compare to the R1 Achor Bay release? DVDbeaver only has compairisons to the Anchor Bay R2 PAL release and says that the picture is slightly squished top-to-bottom.
Old 07-27-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
How does the Criterion release of Mona Lisa compare to the R1 Achor Bay release? DVDbeaver only has compairisons to the Anchor Bay R2 PAL release and says that the picture is slightly squished top-to-bottom.
Well, the Anchor Bay and the Criterion are both bare-bones, which is a problem. The Criterion is non-anamorphic (a second strike), and it has serious artifacting issues.
Old 07-27-09, 08:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

the print used for 'Tunes of Glory' has a nasty imperfection as I recall- I'd want Criterion to find a better print, if one so exists.
Old 07-27-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

W.C. Fields 6 Short Films is the most puzzling. No idea why it was released through Criterion instead of HVE. Interlaced, no digital restoration, and no extras. Still better than the public domain DVDs out there, but should have had a $19.99 MSRP from the start since it's NOT worth anything more than $14.
Old 07-28-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the Anchor Bay and the Criterion are both bare-bones, which is a problem. The Criterion is non-anamorphic (a second strike), and it has serious artifacting issues.
Hmm... That almost makes it sound like the Anchor Bay is the better release. Have you heard anything about the picture being compressed?
Old 07-28-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
Hmm... That almost makes it sound like the Anchor Bay is the better release. Have you heard anything about the picture being compressed?
You should Netflix it and judge for yourself.
Old 07-28-09, 11:50 AM
Banned

The Criterion MOna Lisa IS NOT bare Bones. it has an Audio Commentary by Director Neil Jordan And Actor Bob Hoskins which IS NOT on the ANchor Bay release.
Old 07-28-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gglass4269
I sat in front of my tv with no distractions, and watched the whole movie in one sitting, and at the end, if you asked, I could not tell you what that movie was about...
The underground French Resistance to Nazi occupation?

And that's just the surface.
Old 07-28-09, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
The underground French Resistance to Nazi occupation?

And that's just the surface.
I think it was very confusing and jumbled, not in the good kind of way, but in the bad direction kind of way. Like wtf was up with the first 20 minutes. That had absolutely no bearing on the rest of the movie, and them it jumps a couple months into the future without any kind of explination as to what the new plot/characters are doing. I think the srtanglation of the man in the rented room could have been set up alot more. I hate the feeling I get when a movie is confusing, when I know it's not supposed to be.
Old 07-28-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anyone else curious to read gglass4269's reviews?
Old 07-28-09, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Is anyone else curious to read gglass4269's reviews?
here you go!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36526/taking-chance/

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36302/friday-the-13th/

Unfortunately, I took on a full time job and enlisted in the Navy within a week of becoming a reviewer, but now that things are starting to get settled down, I'm hoping to start writing some fresh ones! First up will be the classic Night of the Hunter.
Old 07-28-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First up will be the classic Night of the Hunter.
Wait, is this going to be a review of the delayed SE?? If it's back on schedule, that would truly make my month.
Old 07-28-09, 10:19 PM

no, the original dvd release. I'm waiting too for the SE. its one of my most anticipated.
Old 07-30-09, 12:18 AM

Just watched Brazil for the first time in it's entirety. I couldn't get through it the last time I started it... It was alright, quite funny and interesting. I think I'll have to buy it somewhere down the line.
Old 07-31-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Third Man is, for me, an over-rated film.

It's good... but not up my alley. I was disappointed by it.
Old 07-31-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it was very confusing and jumbled, not in the good kind of way, but in the bad direction kind of way. Like wtf was up with the first 20 minutes. That had absolutely no bearing on the rest of the movie, and them it jumps a couple months into the future without any kind of explination as to what the new plot/characters are doing. I think the srtanglation of the man in the rented room could have been set up alot more. I hate the feeling I get when a movie is confusing, when I know it's not supposed to be.
I had trouble getting into the beginning of the film because I couldn't establish a sense of anything. Even in hindsight I feel essentially the same way as you do about it ..it could have been completely removed.

Although the strangulation scene I feel differently about. It helped set the tone of the film and the seriousness involved - leaving the motives to be established later in the film.

Overall I think the film is a fascinating and compelling exploration of the human dynamics involving a group of people (French Resistance) caught between a rock and a seriously hard place.

I'd actually really like to know how, or if this compares to some of Malle's works, specifically, Lacombe, Lucien.
Old 08-03-09, 01:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Decided to chuck the alphabetical leaning in my "watch one unwatched DVD per day" rule, and concentrate on Criterions. Remembering my negative comment on it here, gave Withnail and I a second chance.

Was able to make it past 15 minutes this time, and actually ended up enjoying it. Don't think it will become a favorite or get re-watched often, but wouldn't be totally surprised if the film ends up growing on me a bit. I'm going to watch the documentary on it tomorrow.
Old 08-03-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Decided to chuck the alphabetical leaning in my "watch one unwatched DVD per day" rule
I got curious and counted how many movies that are unwatched in my collection, or unfinished (compilations or TV series) and came to the staggering number of 623 titles(!) A number of Criterions in there too.
Old 08-03-09, 08:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by manicsounds
I got curious and counted how many movies that are unwatched in my collection, or unfinished (compilations or TV series) and came to the staggering number of 623 titles(!) A number of Criterions in there too.
I wish my number was that low.

You should check out the monthly unwatched threads that Mister Peepers facilitates here.
Old 08-12-09, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
The Third Man is, for me, an over-rated film.

It's good... but not up my alley. I was disappointed by it.
Its a pretty damn good DVD / Blu-ray package though. The original first Criterion release was pretty limited in its extras by current standards.

The DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER is one of my favorite films, and Criterion did a great job with the restored version...but I think I may actually prefer the truncated release that was on home video prior on VHS. The fantasy element was stronger and the New Deal political aspect in the longer cut kind of drags it a bit for me. They should have included both versions.
Old 08-15-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original Salo DVD, the video transfer was terrible.
Old 08-16-09, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three words:

Fishing With John
Old 08-16-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

All of them. They are overpriced, pretentious films.
Old 08-16-09, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
All of them. They are overpriced, pretentious films.
Not really. How can anyone think EQUINOX or ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS is pretentious?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.