Disappointing Criterions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: Disappointing Criterions

Originally Posted by slop101
This thread makes me laugh.

By the title, I assumed it was about Criterion discs that weren't up to snuff, with either poor transfers or extras.

But instead, people seem to be discussing the movies, as if Criterion made them. Which makes no sense to me.

It would make more sense to have a thread called "Disappointing Warner Bros." since WB actually makes the movies they put out.
Well said. Having only discovered this thread when it was revived recently, I skimmed through it expecting just what you mentioned, comments about transfers or extras, which are legitimate issues with some titles in the collection. Perhaps the thread title was too vague? There are a handful of Criterion discs that I wish had more supplements to aid in the appreciation of the films, but on the whole, it's a small list.

But instead, people seem to be discussing the movies, as if Criterion made them. Which makes no sense to me.
Worse, the discussion turned to labeling the kinds of people who actually enjoy and/or understand certain movies. Ouch. Maybe there should be a new thread called "Disappointing Criterion Viewers."
Old 07-14-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Can't we all just get along? I find the sniping back and forth ridiculous, particularly given this is one thread in a forum where one could expect to share opinions with people who enjoy good movies without being labeled "a film snob."

How many of us posting here are able to share our passion for Ozu or Fellini or Renoir with our friends and family? Heck, how many of us have friends and family who have even heard of the Criterion label?

Peace, y'all.

That said, I must amend my earlier post because I found the Criterion release of Danton lacking in both extras and film transfer. The movie itself is terrific, but for viewers who are unfamiliar with the personae of the French Revolution, a documentary on the era to provide historical context or a glossary of the characters would prove useful.
Old 07-14-09, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is that I want ALL Kurosawa films with the It Is Wonderful to Create features. Those are really really informative.
Old 07-14-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
The Life Aquatic - fun and adventurous; but really, I do wonder sometimes how many dicks Wes Anderson has sucked to get his entire catalogue on the Criterion front.

Old 07-14-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
This thread makes me laugh.

By the title, I assumed it was about Criterion discs that weren't up to snuff, with either poor transfers or extras.

It would make more sense to have a thread called "Disappointing Warner Bros." since WB actually makes the movies they put out.
I think the big difference is Criterion is a company who's reputation is built upon being THE dvd company for releasing classic, important, masterpieces of cinema. Thus, many have unrealistic expectations that everything will be "great" in some way. So, given that every film is inherently loaded with that kind of expectation, the films themselves are subject to disappointing viewers in a way any other company's aren't.

And to the French over representation - yes, I think there are too many damned french movies in the CC too - but I wouldn't remove a single one...or any other. I understand it's there for a reason, even If I don't care for it. Not all the films in the Criterion Collection have to be GOOD. They can have some kind of importance, either to the film industry or to world culture. I just wish there were more UK and US films for one, but understand that's a matter of what rights are available, so international cinema will necessarily be a large part of the collection. It is encouraging that they seem to be cultivating better relationships with US companies though...so perhaps we can get the same loving treatment of films by folks by directors like Anthony Mann that they deserve.

So yes, i've been disappointed in my inability to appreciate the New Wave stuff, particularly Godard, and wondered for a while if there was something wrong with me...then discovered that i'm not alone by FAR in feeling that way, and realized that it's really something that's not meant to be appreciated by the majority, and I quit caring and smile at the people who go gaga over the Godard's seemingly monthly additions to the collection as I wistfully wish for other fare. but that's just me. If you have the time and energy to devote multiple viewings to impenetrable pieces of cinema, then bravo...I guess I don't care THAT much to give them that...there's too many others I have yet to see that may reveal themselves to be pure revelation.

I was perhaps a bit strong in my initial characterization of Godard fans as elitists...but I don't think anyone would disagree with the sentiment...there is that small segment of filmdom that worships him and the New Wave and their writing about it seems as difficult to understand as the movies themselves...which to me suggests they didn't "get" it anymore than anyone else, but get off on pretending they did. as deltasig4 would say...that's a FACT.
Old 07-14-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some of the comments here are accurate. Most seem to think Criterion is the upper echelon of cinema and any one who doesn't follow be damned.

Personally, I love the collection. It has given me a small glimpse of foreign cinema I wouldn't have known about other wise. Are they lacking in some areas (westerns was a good example)? Sure, but show me a studio who isn't.

With the collection approaching 500 titles now I think they have done an incredible job of giving the people an amazing collection of unique films from around the world. But like many other things, you can't please everyone. If you don't like it, you don't like. That doesn't mean you can go on a tirade about how Goddard fans are X or Y.

With all that being said, do I agree with some of the choice Criterion has made? No, but The Rock was still an awesome DVD and a great popcorn flick.

And finally, my fingers are crossed for Blu-Ray editions of Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill. I love that stuff!
Old 07-14-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz
And to the French over representation - yes, I think there are too many damned french movies in the CC too - but I wouldn't remove a single one...or any other. I understand it's there for a reason, even If I don't care for it.
That reason is because most of those French films (along with many of their Japanese releases) are Janus films which is basically the theatrical arm of Criterion.
Old 07-14-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the big difference is Criterion is a company who's reputation is built upon being THE dvd company for releasing classic, important, masterpieces of cinema. Thus, many have unrealistic expectations that everything will be "great" in some way. So, given that every film is inherently loaded with that kind of expectation, the films themselves are subject to disappointing viewers in a way any other company's aren't.
I should point out that there are many films in the Criterion Collection that I didn't find overly memorable on an entirely personal level, but the additional features, the booklet, and further readings online and of my own books on film helped me to understand the significance of what I'd seen, maybe even helped me to "get it". I certainly don't think I had some special knack for keeping my expectations level when reading a DVD sleeve, Criterion or otherwise, but maybe I do. As I said before, every DVD company besides Criterion breathlessly praises their products on their DVD sleeves, using a combination of legitimate/overbaked hyperbole and suspect/genuine quotes from real/wannabe critics. Every. Company. They pander. They copy-write to the lowest-common denominator. And that doesn't create expectations? Please. Criterion takes a classier, scholarly route--the very thing that any serious film buff should appreciate--so I guess the inevitable cries of high-minded snobbery from certain quarters should be expected. One simple bit of advice if you can't handle Criterion's film-school-in-an-amaray approach to pimping their stock: approach everything with caution. Expect nothing one way or the other.

Not all the films in the Criterion Collection have to be GOOD. They can have some kind of importance, either to the film industry or to world culture.
At last! We agree.

So yes, i've been disappointed in my inability to appreciate the New Wave stuff, particularly Godard, and wondered for a while if there was something wrong with me...then discovered that i'm not alone by FAR in feeling that way, and realized that it's really something that's not meant to be appreciated by the majority, and I quit caring and smile at the people who go gaga over the Godard's seemingly monthly additions to the collection as I wistfully wish for other fare.
. . . and those that love his stuff, are not alone, by far, in feeling that love (and I'm not one of them, believe it or not; though I don't find his films that impenetrable with a little extra effort and NO multiple viewings). There's no shame in not "getting" someone like Godard or any other filmmaker so vaunted by the Criterion Collection; there should be at least a little shame associated with repeatedly condescending to virtually anyone that does get his work--even partially--as if they're wasting their precious time or, worse, engaging in just so much pretending with the sole purpose of appearing smarter than other people. They just couldn't be serious about it; of course not.

Just to be clear, I don't like it any better when "film snobs"--both real or perceived--snivel or hurl presumptuous insults at those who don't "get" certain kinds of movies. This does work both ways, sadly, and it kills thoughtful debate, which largely dominated this thread until recently. The appreciation of Criterion films, in particular, is often about subjectivity, and it pains me to see either side (those who "get it" or those who don't) making smarmy, unqualified assumptions about the other, even as I've long wondered, how it can irk people that cinema, like virtually every other art form (and ideology for that matter),can produce works of a certain ambiguity that are designed to elicit multiple, personal interpretations. If the picture doesn't make literal sense, it must be some kind of con? That makes no sense.

I was perhaps a bit strong in my initial characterization of Godard fans as elitists...but I don't think anyone would disagree with the sentiment...
Well, you probably knew I would , and I'm not particularly fond of the man's work, as I've stated. At the same time, I'm simply unable to blithely dismiss his importance to his craft and his singular voice with just one wave of the hand. He does have his obsequious worshippers--they all do--but you're right, they're a small segment of an already (comparatively) small circle of film aficionados, and thus hardly enough to raise one's ire. There are more people devoted to scholarly study and thoughtful criticism of his works than there are people lined up to catch and praise every blast of artistic gas that he passes. Seriously. But too often the latter are the ones who most often become representative of everyone who appreciates a particularly obtuse form of cinema.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-14-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 07:16 PM

A disappointing Criterion for me would be KWAIDAN.

The transfer is poor compared to other discs available, specifically MASTERS of CINEMA's marvelous release which is just beautiful. and longer by 23 minutes. Great booklet too, not to mention its NTSC even though its a Region 2 release. Go figure.
Old 07-15-09, 07:24 PM
Banned

^True. True.
Kwaidan deserves so much better....

Also kinda OT but isnt it that day of the month when new titles are announced. Whats the deal?
Old 07-16-09, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny that I have never noticed this thread and when I did finally see the thread title, I instantly thought...Jubilee. I hated that movie, just really dated, bad, ugly, boring junk.

glad I'm not the only one.
There have been many many releases that were disappointing in regards to extras but only a few that were not up to snuff in regards to the film itself.
Many of the earlier titles deserve more extras. CC have been fairly good about going back and updating the ones that have better elements out there now, and while doing that adding features.
They need to KEEP doing that though.
Andrei Rublev is one that needs updating, along with Walkabout and much much more.
Old 07-20-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Equinox - I guess it takes a certain horror/fantasy film fan to truly appreciate this one.
Usually I am that certain fan, but not this time. I think a large part of Equinox's consideration was for the resumes that the filmmakers would go on to achieve.
The Life Aquatic... I do wonder sometimes how many dicks Wes Anderson has sucked to get his entire catalogue on the Criterion front.
Oh, that's one of the most agreeable things I've read in ages.
Walker - even though I'm fully aware of Alex Cox's almost slap-sticky play on politics and society, I just couldn't absorb this one with satisfaction.
Yeah, I was disappointed. I would love to see Repo Man on Criterion though.
The Rock - wtf x2
This DVD is actually useful in a "know thy enemy" sort of way, particularly the audio commentary.
Old 07-20-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Walkabout
This was listed as one of the titles in their initial Blu-ray press release, so hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.
Old 07-21-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Walker, in my opinion is a terrible, pretentious piece of crap. However, it does star Ed Harris, and so falls under the Ed Harris Corollary to the Gene Hackman Rule (which also applies to Morgan Freeman): "No movie with Ed Harris in it is a complete waste of time."

The DVD is terrific, however, with Alex Cox's commentary and a couple of docs.

Mona Lisa is a huge disappointment, it's an early Criterion, but it's movie-only with not very good picture and sound.
Old 07-21-09, 12:19 PM

Ive been thinking about getting the following. Can someone tell me if they're worth the price.

F For Fake
Do the Right Thing
In the Realm of the Senses
Simon of The Desert
Old 07-21-09, 12:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^True. True.
Kwaidan deserves so much better....

Also kinda OT but isnt it that day of the month when new titles are announced. Whats the deal?
an actual hidef bluray release

they're probably doing the numbers of the Barnes and Noble 50% sale, I'd love to know what titles are being the most popular, what's selling out, etc.
Old 07-21-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gglass4269
Ive been thinking about getting the following. Can someone tell me if they're worth the price.

F For Fake
Do the Right Thing
Simon of The Desert
I can vouch for Simon of the Desert. Worth every penny since it also contains the hour long documentary 'A Mexican Buñuel'. Can be had for under $13 with the DD 25% off sale.
Old 07-21-09, 12:52 PM

How are Yojimbo/Sanjuro? Thinking about picking up the set with both of them in it.
Old 07-21-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

F For Fake
Do the Right Thing
Simon of The Desert
Do the Right Thing is a good release but a new 2-disc non-Criterion set was released that has just about everything on it. I don't know anything about Simon of the Desert but I've seen it in store for $24.99 and using the B&N 50% Criterion sale brings it down to $12.50 unless you have a membership which drops it even further. Same for Do the Right Thing, it might be about the same price as the non-Criterion release using the B&N sale.
Old 07-21-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

F FOR FAKE is a clever, very satisfying piece with an intriguing production history (which it doesn't hurt to read a little bit about first, if possible), and Criterion's well-chosen supplements do a fantastic job of contextualizing it. It's a fairly straightforward film, despite being about fakery forgery and other artistic misdirections, so I can't imagine it leaving anyone befuddled.
Old 07-21-09, 03:30 PM
Banned

F For Fake
Do the Right Thing
Simon of The Desert
I dunno anything about Simon of the Desert but Definitely Pick up F for Fake and In the Realm of the Senses. Very good sets. And dont bother with the Criterion Do the Right Thing criterion. Get the new 2-disk Universal 20th Anniversary Edition. Much better value.
Old 07-27-09, 11:44 AM

Army of Shadows has got to be one of the most incoherent, and disapointing movies I've seen from the Criterion Collection.
Old 07-27-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I dunno anything about Simon of the Desert but Definitely Pick up F for Fake and In the Realm of the Senses. Very good sets. And dont bother with the Criterion Do the Right Thing criterion. Get the new 2-disk Universal 20th Anniversary Edition. Much better value.
unless you care about color timing and viewing the film as it was meant to be.
Old 07-27-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Army of Shadows has got to be one of the most incoherent, and disapointing movies I've seen from the Criterion Collection.
How so?
Old 07-27-09, 12:52 PM

I sat in front of my tv with no distractions, and watched the whole movie in one sitting, and at the end, if you asked, I could not tell you what that movie was about...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.