Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has a celebrity ever bought your used dvd?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Has a celebrity ever bought your used dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold a copy of the Fox Noir Boomerang disc to Alain Silver, one of the guys who did the commentary. The disc got pulled before it was officially released so he never got a copy. I was one of the few that was able to pick a couple of copies up at Border's who had broken the street date before they were recalled.
Old 12-10-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would think most celebrities would be able to afford brand new copies instead of slumming on Amazons used section
In a bit of reversal though ..i did buy a used car that once belonged to Jon Voight
Old 12-10-07, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
In a bit of reversal though ..i did buy a used car that once belonged to Jon Voight

Ok, now that's funny.
Old 12-10-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
i would think most celebrities would be able to afford brand new copies instead of slumming on Amazons used section
That'd make sense, unless you account for the fact that they're usually buying rare stuff and only collectors/sellers own and sell them. It's not like they're going out and buying $5 bargains on in print dvds.
Old 12-10-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banky
Years ago I had Kevin Smith contact me. I was selling copies of his commencement speech he gave when he was given an honorary doctorate. He didn't have his own copy so he offered an autographed DVD for a copy of the speech. He's a stand up guy..
. . . And apparently too cheap to pay cash.
Old 12-10-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lanemyer74
I also sold a Townes Van Zandt CD to his widow, Jeanene Van Zandt.
I'm a TVZ fan too. A friend of mine saw her in Nashville selling some Guy Clarke CD's at a used record store. She remarked she was pissed at him about something. A freind of mine delivered flowers to his house once and got a CD signed by him. He was not really a fan and kindly gave the CD to me.
Old 12-10-07, 07:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by project86
Someone named "Owen Wilson" bought a movie of mine. The address was from NYC, NY

Was it Wristcutters
Old 12-10-07, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rzarecta
Was it Wristcutters
Har har, no actually it was Spaced season 1.
Old 02-10-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just sold my original Clerks DVD on ebay last week to Pat O'Brien.
Old 02-10-08, 11:47 PM

Never sold a personal item to anyone famous, however at the store I work at I have sold cds to Chris Jericho and Don Mattingly. Last year I also ran into Violent J (sans face paint) from the Insane Clown Posse at a local Wal-Mart. Totally weird.
Old 02-11-08, 01:28 PM

Wow, my most exciting Amazon sale was when someone bought a Modest Mouse CD from me and the shipping address was care of the restaurant across the street. What are the odds?

I have sold stuff to Hollywood studios before, however. No famous individuals, but "c/o Universal" ect.
Old 02-11-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by woemcats
Wow, my most exciting Amazon sale was when someone bought a Modest Mouse CD from me and the shipping address was care of the restaurant across the street. What are the odds?
Not celebrity related, but this happened to me on Half.com once. I bought a James Bond DVD and 30 mins. later my doorbell rang. Thought it was the pizza guy but it was the guy who I bought the DVD from.

Still charged me shipping, but for 30 mins delivery, I was happy to pay it.
Old 02-11-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not celebrity related, but this happened to me on Half.com once. I bought a James Bond DVD and 30 mins. later my doorbell rang. Thought it was the pizza guy but it was the guy who I bought the DVD from.

Still charged me shipping, but for 30 mins delivery, I was happy to pay it.
Mildly creepy.
Old 02-11-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed on the creepy aspect, I'd prefer to not meet any seller of goods if I purchased it from the internet. The unfortunate aspect for the seller in my case is that I would have not answered the door, so they'd have to eat the cost of gas and ship it anyway!
Old 02-11-08, 10:26 PM

I sold a DVD to Delta Burke and slides to Amber Smith. Amber didn't pay right away and explained she was working on a movie...she lives or lived right up the street from me.
Old 02-12-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sparrow
Agreed on the creepy aspect, I'd prefer to not meet any seller of goods if I purchased it from the internet. The unfortunate aspect for the seller in my case is that I would have not answered the door, so they'd have to eat the cost of gas and ship it anyway!
I had a sale on half that went to a buyer whose address is literally 15 mins. drive from my house. I thought about hand-delivering it to his mailbox, but ultimately just dropped it in the mail.
Old 02-12-08, 10:07 PM

I've never sold a used disc to someone famous, but about two years back when I was working in retail, I had to tell Barack Obama that we were sold out of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Old 02-12-08, 10:25 PM

One time I sold a band shirt or something on eBay and the next day I get a phone call from the guy who bought the shirt, asking when I was mailing it out. I don't know if eBay still gives buyers a seller's phone number automatically but it was a bizarre phone call
Old 02-12-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As far as I know I've never sold anything online to a celebrity, but I used to work at Tower Video on Sunset and sold to celebrities all the time (practically daily). I even had to scoop Johnny Depp off the sidewalk a couple of times when he passed out by our parking lot.
Old 02-12-08, 11:51 PM

I know someone who sold a Ray Harryhausen statue thingamajig to Peter Jackson via eBay. It sold for a nice price, and he had to ship it to New Zealand. True story.