Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has a celebrity ever bought your used dvd?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Has a celebrity ever bought your used dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, but I came this close to selling a copy of complete lot of Barnyard Commandos action figures to Fred Ward. Unfortunately, he backed out of the sale and decided to buy a rare VHS copy of MegaForce and a complete set of Boglins from a friend of mine. Needless to say, I am not friends with that person anymore. Fuckin' amateur.
Old 12-02-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Premise
I sold Martin Scorsese my used copy of Good Burger.
Jon Mulvaney bought mine. Could it mean...
Old 12-03-07, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fred Ward is above the law, he has a special badge from the sheriff that lets him run any red light in all 48 continental states.
Old 12-03-07, 07:25 AM

Pixar's Andrew Stanton bought Jarhead SE from me for $80 on Amazon.
Old 12-03-07, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
This post might as well have read, "I sold a guitar to Yngwie Malmsteen, but gosh, I don't know if it was him or if it someone else had the same insane name that no one else has ever had ever."
Wow! I disagree strongly here. Famke Janssen is the actress that plays Jean Grey/Phoenix in the X-Men movies. She is not a third rate player. She has been around for a while and has a rather extensive resume of parts in many movies.
Old 12-03-07, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TimT
Wow! I disagree strongly here. Famke Janssen is the actress that plays Jean Grey/Phoenix in the X-Men movies. She is not a third rate player. She has been around for a while and has a rather extensive resume of parts in many movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Missed_The_Point
...they both have exotic, unique names.
Old 12-03-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fred Ward is above the law, he has a special badge from the sheriff that lets him run any red light in all 48 continental states.
Not to get off topic, BUT...

Fred Ward's daily breakfast is 3/4 of a pound of ground round, five eggs over medium-to-hard, seven buttermilk pancakes with extra butter, and Graboid sausage links, all with a nice glass of Remo Williams pineapple juice. Contrary to popular belief, Remo Williams pineapple juice is unavailable commercially.
Old 12-03-07, 02:28 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Missed_The_Point
...they both have exotic, unique names.
Yes, in the U.S. Not so much where they are from. I tend to view our forum as more world universal, but I have to remember it's heavily U.S. populated.
Old 12-03-07, 02:43 PM

...the post this is in reference states it was sold to someone in New York. What the hell are you even talking about
Old 12-03-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Back in the early days of ebay, well before paypal when it was all money orders, I sold a relatively rare guitar pedal to a guy in some alternative band popular at the time but I can't remember now. He had me send it c/o the venue he would be at several days later. He threw in some guitar pics with his band's name on it, all gone now, unfortunatley. Might have been Spacehog or Ruth Ruth, or someone like that.
Old 12-03-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sold a Donnie Darko DC Hot Topic Exclusive Tin w/Frank the Rabbit necklace to a James Duval from Los Angeles, and I asked if he was actually the guy who played Frank in the movie. He said no...I know, I know, it's a common name.
Old 12-03-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I once sold a DVD to someone just named "Jesus". I wonder....could it...?
Gizmo ftw!

I've sold dvds to Disney and MTV execs, artists at Nickelodeon, and once I sold an autographed Special Goodness (of Weezer fame) cd to a girl in the Middle East.
Old 12-03-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
As a seller on eBay, I've sold a few things to a couple of celebs.

Danielle Brisbois (who played on the All in the Family spinoff show as the little girl) bought one of her own CDs from me. Apparently she went on to become an alternative rock singer. I guess her CDs are OOP and she was buying some up to give to friends.

Also a couple of authors bought some of their books from me - same reason - books OOP and wanted to get a few copies to give to friends.
Old 12-03-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does selling blow to Paris Hilton count?
Old 12-03-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was it used?
Old 12-03-07, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by EEz28
I though there was a thread on here, maybe it was another board, but just like the title says, has this ever happend to any of you?

I just sold my criterion Breathless on amazon to Adam Duritz, could this be the Counting Crows lead singer? hmmmmmm. It is going to New York, and the profile on wikipedia says he currently resides in NY.

I just though this was pretty neat and wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen to them.
My mom's boss's cousin is Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows.
Old 12-04-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is SO weird and almost surreal that I saw this thread and it just happened to me!

I always figured one day I'd probably end up selling something to someone that I once knew, but to a celebrity, even a minor celebrity? No way. They have plenty of money, they don't need to buy something from ebay or Amazon.

Well, I was wrong.

I sold a copy of Trading Places on Amazon a day ago. Just packing it up and noticed the name of the buyer was Vonda Shepard. I kind of had a feeling it was THE Vonda Shepard only because how many Vonda Shepard's can there be?

Well, next up I wanted to see where she lived. My guess would be So. California. The address is in Santa Monica. Another hit.

Then, I looked at the exact way she wanted the package labeled and it was V.S. Froom. I went to the imdb and saw that she's married to Mitchell Froom.

I'm confident this is the Vonda Shepard from Ally McBeal. It's not like Maggie Gyllenhaal (I would drop dead), but it's still exciting and I'm going to include a nice and very polite note. I can't imagine she would be upset by that. I'm also going to politely mention how much we all want Ally McBeal on dvd. Couldn't hurt to let people know who might tell other people.

I still can't figure why she wanted my old Trading Places dvd when there is a special edition out that probably is really cheap too and with better pic and special features.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-04-07 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dullboy
I sold a Donnie Darko DC Hot Topic Exclusive Tin w/Frank the Rabbit necklace to a James Duval from Los Angeles, and I asked if he was actually the guy who played Frank in the movie. He said no...I know, I know, it's a common name.
If it was a Star Wars DVD, I'd believe this. I was talking to him and Film Threat's Mark Bell in LA a few years ago, and he was not amused when I made a disparaging remark about Celebration III.
Old 12-04-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never sold anything to a celebrity, but this thread does make me wonder how many celebrities frequent DVDTalk.
Old 12-04-07, 02:01 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
A lot of them wont use their real name. You wouldnt know if they did buy from you. I have had some minor celebs.
Old 12-04-07, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Henry Rollins bought a used DVD of a film he starred in off me at ebays many many years ago.

As did Crichton's ex-wife, the actress in SLEDGE HAMMER and PROM NIGHT who was in some horror films in the 70's (bought a used BOOGENS VHS).
Old 12-04-07, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Since Ethan is an active member here, it would be funny if he could comment.
He is? Really? Hasn't bought anything off me, but I've been gobbling up his Jean Grey/Phoenix pieces on eBay like crazy.

Three in as many months.
Old 12-04-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I ever did sell a DVD to a celebrity online I would not bother to even say anything to anyone or them. As far as I am concerned it's none of my damn business other than to mail it out and make sure they recieve the goods. I just would want to respect the privacy of the buyer as much as possible. I would treat a celebrity buyer no different than anyone else. That's just me. However I am enjoying this thread and understand how people would get excited.
Old 12-04-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If more stories like this pop up, its going to be a long december
Old 12-04-07, 04:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Not a DVD, but I sold my GameBoy Light on Ebay to Joey Mazzarino, one of the Muppeteers for Sesame Street.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.