Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When are you ever going to stop collecting dvd's?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at my limits. I can't stop collecting these shiny objects, and now I have over 800 unviewed dvd's, and it's driving me crazy. I want to see all the new big hits, but real life gets in the way.

It's neverending cycle. By the the time I complete 300 dvd's, 50-100 nice new ones come out.

There's only 365 days in the year.

I don't know how the rest of you are able to have wifes, kids, jobs, real life, and be able to collect and watch thousands of movies.

I want stop collecting, but selling all these movies would take years. I'm too attached to them.

I wish I could freeze time, catch up with all of them, and watch them twice.

I need professional help.

Last edited by Knives; 11-04-07 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 09:30 PM

I still never seen a HD-DVD or Blu-ray yet!

Old 11-04-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-04-07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Knives
I'm at my limits. I can't stop collecting these shiny objects, and now I have over 800 unviewed dvd's, and it's driving me crazy. I want to see all the new big hits, but real life gets in the way.

It's neverending cycle. By the the time I complete 300 dvd's, 50-100 nice new ones come out.

There's only 365 days in the year.

I don't know how the rest of you are able to have wifes, kids, jobs, real life, and be able to collect and watch thousands of movies.

I want stop collecting, but selling all these movies would take years. I'm too attached to them.

I wish I could freeze time, catch up with all of them, and watch them twice.

Your not the only one...
Old 11-04-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... we're all in this together...
Old 11-04-07, 10:14 PM
Banned

I've cut back a lot since hi-def became so accessible, but I still buy a dozen or so per week. I'm pretty lucky with not having much go unwatched, almost everyone I know is down with movie nights.
Old 11-04-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I actually have stopped collecting them. Now and then I'll pick up something if I see it cheap, but I've got enough to do me a while. Nothing like when I was buying the equivalent of a DVD every two days though. Part of it comes from the feeling of completion - all the films I want are out on DVD by now, and I have them. Also, I feel a bit silly buying new ones en masse when I know they'll all be replaced by HD versions soon.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 11-04-07 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-05-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Every time I think I'm going to stop, I can't! I go through phases or spurts where I raid bargain bins or DD.com 20% off sale but other than that, I try to limit myself as much as possible...

I think I've come to accept that this habit will never die for me so it's a matter of being smarter about it
Old 11-05-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I wish I could freeze time, catch up with all of them, and watch them twice.

I need professional help...
if i could freeze time, i would do more than just watch my unwatched pile o dvds

but yah, i hear ya brah!
Old 11-05-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You have to look at the long term. You'll always have something to watch for the next several years. I have a huge pile of unwatched dvds also (not as many as you!), but I know I'll get around to seeing them all eventually. Still, every time I think I'm going to slow down, I'm tempted by a good 4-5 new releases a month. We must be in heaven, man!
Old 11-05-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll stop collecting when they stop making them!
Old 11-05-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The advent of high definition material has put a huge pause in buying any new DVDs (with the exception of kid's programming and a TV series or two, like THE SIMPSONS).

I don't care to buy any titles on a format when a better one is available, even if it means waiting a long, long time for their release. It's not like I have the time to watch the damn movie - high def or not - anyhow.

Of course, all technology is eventually superceded by another one, but I'm willing to invest heavily in Blu-ray (and HD-DVD, given recent events).
Old 11-05-07, 03:36 AM

I know I'm addicted, but I'm OK with it and I'm not planning to stop. Since the birth of my baby-girl I don't have as much time for DVDs as I had before, but I don't give up. And I'm trying to have a real life by the way.
Old 11-05-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty lucky. I have a very slim, but eclectic, taste so I only have about 400 titles. While I do have about 200 in my to-be-watched pile, I pick those kind of movies and tv sets up only when they're obscenely cheap. So I think I have a healthy, sane, social version of this collector's bug.
Old 11-05-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I'll stop collecting when they stop making them!
Ditto.
Old 11-05-07, 06:08 AM

This probably will be an unpopular answer, but I agree that you need help. Look at it this way -- you have something like $8000 tied up in DVDs you may never watch, yet you're still buying. That doesn't sound particularly healthy. Have you considered starting a Netflix account? (if you don't already have one)

If I were you I'd grab a nice big box, throw a bunch of DVDs in there and sell them someplace (secondspin.com, etc) -- just to assert some control over your life, and prove to yourself that you don't need to rely on a pile of 800 unwatched DVDs for fulfillment in life.

Last edited by remo; 11-05-07 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 06:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I defend my addiction this way.

I average maybe $7 a day on DVDs (almost one a day, but many thru CH or other $5 or less deals).

People who drink alcohol, even casual drinkers who maybe only average one drink a day, spend about that much.

I quit drinking to support my habit.
Old 11-05-07, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

800 seems excessive. One thing you might one to try weed through them and sell those you're really never going to get a around to through Amazon, eBay, etc. and take those earnings and convert them in a rainy day fund, dedicated account or gift certificates.

Then for the next year only draw on those funds to support your habit. If you have a boundary, maybe it will help limit your purchases.

Last edited by Adboy151; 11-05-07 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
This has been a tough year on my DVD watching. I never had unwatched DVDs in my collection before this year, or if I did the number was small enough to get through quickly.

As I look at my collection now, I have 157 unwatched titles, including 4 movies and one TV show I bought in 2006. I've managed to watch a good number the last few weeks, but I've also bought more than I've watched, so the total has gone up.

And now thanks to Best Buy I was finally convinced to dive in the HDDVD pool so on Wednesday I'll be picking up my HD-A3 and my first five HDDVD titles. I bought the 2-Disc 300 when it came out, still haven't watched it, and now I've got the HD version waiting for me.

I buy everything with the intention of watching them, but once you fall behind, it's really hard to catch up.
Old 11-05-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
When there are no more movies I want to watch at home.

Or, whenever there is a single format replacement.
Old 11-05-07, 07:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the most part, I watch DVD's as I buy them. I'd have a hard time maintaining a collecting habit where my unwatched pile kept growing toward and past my viewed stack.

Recently I finally started drastically slowing down my regular DVD purchases in anticipation of switching over to HD in the next couple years. In the meantime I'll buy mostly TV season sets and use NetFlix for movies I really want to see.

Sometime within the next decade, I can see getting to a place where buying optical disks loses its appeal as digital online delivery and on-demand services become cheaper and better. If I could store thousands of shows on my home storage system and order up shows for pennies at the push of a few buttons, I'll be glad to stop worrying about where to put the next DVD storage shelf.
Old 11-05-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never
Old 11-05-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
When digital media eventually takes it over. Which it will...eventually.
Old 11-05-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
The advent of high definition material has put a huge pause in buying any new DVDs (with the exception of kid's programming and a TV series or two, like THE SIMPSONS).
I stopped collecting DVDs once I got a hi-def player. So I guess about a year and a half ago.
Old 11-05-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have this problem, but it's not nearly as big as it was.

After collecting for years I've sold off quite a few titles. Frankly, I got tired of purchasing titles at $15-20 release week and fetching half of that on the aftermarket. Part of this is due that I rarely rented and made a lot of blind buys (though not everything) .. a lot due to impulsive buys while out and about shopping.

Due to my tastes in foreign films, I now limit most of my purchasing to films that I couldn't otherwise rent even if this were a common practice. I also pick up essentials and some limited/special edition releases but that's about it. I'm haven't really been impressed with Hollywood films since the 80's anyway .. so, my choices have limited themselves.

It's been 3 weeks since my last purchase and it [cough]hrrrm, feels ... ahhh, great ... yeah, that[/cough]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.