Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse hits DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched it... Good doc, but not as good as say, a Werner Herzog doc. I just think the people making the doc were not as deep as they are trying to sound.
Old 11-24-07, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
So, was it cut?
No. I saw this years ago and everything appears to be intact in this dvd release.

Last edited by UngersPride; 11-24-07 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-24-07, 04:21 PM

I saw this today, and damn, I was tempted. I ended up opting for something else, but this is definitely on my immediate buy list, especially since the only version I own isn't official.
Old 11-24-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Picked this up today at Borders. I probably won't get a chance to watch it for a day or two but I'm really looking forward to it. I've been hearing about this documentary for years.

I'm just trying to decide whether I should re-watch Apocalypse Now before or after this doc.

Edited at add: Be careful when removing that Youth Without Youth documentary sticker from the slip cover. It's a pain in the butt. I put a few minor dings in the paper trying to get the damn thing off.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 11-24-07 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Another interesting factoid about Hearts of Darkness -- Although the documentary footage is 4:3 (both Eleanor Copolla's home movies and the newer interviews), the documentary itself is the only place to find footage from Apocalypse Now letterboxed to its full 2.40:1 theatrical aspect ratio on home video. Video editions of that film have been cropped to 2.0:1 because Vittorio Storaro has a kooky theory called "Univisium" that he's retroactively enforced on all the movies he shot long beforehand.
This isn't the case on this release. I'm 47 min into it and all the film footage is the same aspect ratio as the home video releases. It's most likely been replaced by better quality footage. If the older copies have it at 2.40:1, better hold on to them.
Old 11-26-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$11.63 shipped from Family Video w/ NEWMEM5F coupon.
Old 11-29-07, 08:12 AM

On the surface, the movie Apocalypse Now! is about the Vietnam War.

As we already know, the movie is based on Conrad's book Heart of Darkness.

While there are many layers and themes running through both the book and the movie, one could say that the movie is really about the journey of a man going inside his own mind, going into the deepest recesses of his own subconscious. And once there, to confront the "evil" that exists in him; to tame and defeat that evil and to overcome the base side of his nature.

Hearts of Darkness expands on this theme, while also showing both Sheen's and Coppola's own descent into a form of "madness".

What is the Heart of Darkness? It is that which exists in all men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness

Last edited by UngersPride; 11-29-07 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-29-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So what are the chances of seeing the rough cut now ?
Old 12-01-07, 11:24 PM
Banned

I was watching it with the Coppola & wife commentary and the only thing good in that was when Mrs. Coppola talks about Marlon Brando. Pretty much Brando was a big A-Hole!
Old 12-02-07, 12:01 AM

I got bored watching the COPA: Thirty Years Later documentary.

I hadn't seen Apocalypse Now until I had seen the Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse. After I had seen this documentary in film class, I couldn't wait to see Apocalypse Now.

I found a used copy of Hearts of Darkness on vhs, but it was unwatchable. As a result, I had to wait for it to come out on dvd.
Old 12-02-07, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by racefan
I got bored watching the COPA: Thirty Years Later documentary.

I hadn't seen Apocalypse Now until I had seen the Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse. After I had seen this documentary in film class, I couldn't wait to see Apocalypse Now.

I found a used copy of Hearts of Darkness on vhs, but it was unwatchable. As a result, I had to wait for it to come out on dvd.
But the one scene I did like in CODA:30 is when Coppola says that there is a tax that film makers have to have so many people on the set doing nothing. I've heard Robert Rodriquez same something like that too. Coppola says that all you need is one trailer that has all the stuff to get a movie done instead of a fleet of trailers which all movie productions have. This is why movies cost so much because on payroll people you don't need and all you have to do is look at movie ending credits to see how big a production crew is on payroll.
Old 12-02-07, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
But the one scene I did like in CODA:30 is when Coppola says that there is a tax that film makers have to have so many people on the set doing nothing. I've heard Robert Rodriquez same something like that too. Coppola says that all you need is one trailer that has all the stuff to get a movie done instead of a fleet of trailers which all movie productions have. This is why movies cost so much because on payroll people you don't need and all you have to do is look at movie ending credits to see how big a production crew is on payroll.

I think that was when they were out on location in the mountains and he got mad that there were a lot of people around.

Some of the blame goes to actors who demand luxuries and that their entourages accompany them. Studios are also to blame because they have an interest in controlling costs. I think also the director needs to be focused and strong in order to run things.

Last edited by racefan; 12-02-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-02-07, 11:12 PM

A small "cut."

There is a small cut I've found, although it's actually just an audio cut. It's in the scene in which they're celebrating I think the 200th day of shooting. When Francis is singing "Anything Goes" to the little girl on his lap, the audio of him singing has been removed, although the shot is intact. They must not have gotten the rights to use the lyrics.