Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) pt2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) pt2

Old 10-14-07, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please continue the discussion here, but please read the following before you post...

MOD NOTE: I'm not even sure where to being w/ this thread. There's been a lot of reports from various posts in this thread the last few days. For the most part (IMHO, other mods may feel differently but since seem to have stepped in probably not) since it's just been debates over who's watched what or what qualifies as a horror film I've just let it go. HOWEVER IF YOU PEOPLE DON'T START BEHAVING AND ADDRESSING EACH OTHER IN A CIVILIZED MANNER FURTHER ACTION MAY BE WARRANTED. If you disagree w/ what some poster is calling a horror film or how many they claim to have watched, just ignore them (even to the point of adding them to your ignore list if you have too). Additionally, this means the name calling stops here.

Consider this a general thread warning. Further violations of the rules in this thread will most likely result in suspension of the poster and potentially closing the thread if enough people are acting this way.

Thanks

Last edited by nemein; 10-14-07 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts on whether Halloween 6: the Producer's Cut is different enough form the theatrical version to be counted as a separate movie?
Old 10-14-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Any thoughts on whether Halloween 6: the Producer's Cut is different enough form the theatrical version to be counted as a separate movie?
I'd say no. The rules say to pick your favorite cut of a movie.

Here's a movie recommendation, don't watch St. John's Wort. Who needs a movie with talking when you can have a couple of people walk around a building in the dark with flashlights not saying anything.

I also noticed something while watching Cube Zero. If they are throwing a boot into the room to test for traps and a trap goes off, the door never shuts. On the other hand, if they go into a room and there's a trap, the doors shut and lock.

I also hate movie with really scenes so dark that if you are watching during the day, even with all the shades shut and lights off, you can't make out anything. Willard had a couple parts like that. Eko Eko Azarak 2 was like that the last part of the movie, but nodoby but me has seen it so who cares.
Old 10-14-07, 10:16 PM

I should hit 100 tomorrow. I work mon-wed but my nights are free. Thursday I'm planning the entire run of elm street. Friday is 30 days of night so no clue what I can watch that day
Old 10-14-07, 10:19 PM
Banned

I saw the other thread was closed, did anyone ever decide on Deliverance? When I said no mutants, I just meant most movies have really sick inbred creatures, whereas Deliverance was a more realistic take.
Old 10-14-07, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I've been busy with stuff and movies so I didn't get a chance to post in the last thread, but so far I've been doing fairly well this month and am mowing right along. I'm just about where I was last year this time around. My latest horror flick was Near Dark and from now on I'll keep an updated list here. I'll review through my IMDB vote history again just to make sure that I don't miss one, and then post the entire list of horror films I have seen. Oh, I also went through 28 Days Later/Weeks Later before Near Dark.

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Near Dark
Old 10-14-07, 10:33 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
I saw the other thread was closed, did anyone ever decide on Deliverance? When I said no mutants, I just meant most movies have really sick inbred creatures, whereas Deliverance was a more realistic take.
In my opinion, Deliverance is a similar category as Hard Candy -- a thriller with terror overtones (and certainly elements of horror). So it's one of the "it counts if you think it counts" movies.
Old 10-14-07, 10:36 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by hiccup
Well, I've been busy with stuff and movies so I didn't get a chance to post in the last thread, but so far I've been doing fairly well this month and am mowing right along. I'm just about where I was last year this time around. My latest horror flick was Near Dark and from now on I'll keep an updated list here.
You probably want to keep these in the Lists thread, which is still open (and number them as you go). Happy watching!
Old 10-15-07, 12:38 AM

I had to slow it down early this year because I was getting burned out fast! I couldn't do without football on weekends. I would still like to reach 100 but it will be tough now.
Old 10-15-07, 04:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does End of Days count as horror? I just got the HD add-on for the xbox, and had to test it out and that was the closest to horror I had. It's got demonic possession but feels more like an action/thriller movie, especially with Arnold in it. Are thrillers considered as horror, movies like hannibal rising or jacobs ladder?
Old 10-15-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Camp Blood
Does End of Days count as horror? I just got the HD add-on for the xbox, and had to test it out and that was the closest to horror I had. It's got demonic possession but feels more like an action/thriller movie, especially with Arnold in it. Are thrillers considered as horror, movies like hannibal rising or jacobs ladder?
I'd count it and so does imdb
Old 10-15-07, 08:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
Personally, I'd count Deliverance. I agree that we shouldn't count all thrillers, but in this case I easily would. It is full of psychological horror.

I would love to include the recent thrillers Eastern Promises or The Kingdom; but I don't think we could argue that either are horror.
Old 10-15-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not count Deliverance, that sh*t is scary to me

I counted the original Cape Fear; maybe not true horror but definitely some horror elements and helping lay a groundwork for the crazed-madman-coming-to-kill-you type horror/thriller movies that became more mainstream into the 70s and 80s.
Old 10-15-07, 12:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I have to say I listened to the commentary for the 1933 version of King Kong and I felt it was lacklustre at best - honestly I thought the info conveyed was terribly disappointing.
Old 10-15-07, 01:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I have to say I listened to the commentary for the 1933 version of King Kong and I felt it was lacklustre at best - honestly I thought the info conveyed was terribly disappointing.
I pretty much agree. It had a few interesting tidbits, but I felt like there should have been many many more. I haven't checked out the other special features in the set yet, I hope they are better done.
Old 10-15-07, 01:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I pretty much agree. It had a few interesting tidbits, but I felt like there should have been many many more. I haven't checked out the other special features in the set yet, I hope they are better done.
if they had said, 'well that was an impressive shot' one more time, I would have gone mental.
Old 10-15-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to see the other thread got closed Anyway...I'm really happy with how many I've managed to do. I watched Bride of Chucky the day before my wedding, nothing on the day of my wedding, and Corpse Bride on the day after my wedding.

I passed my total last year. I did 62 last year, and I completed 67 already...I made my goal 120. Still don't know if I'll reach it, but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-15-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I've been incredibly busy (both at home and at work) so I'm way behind on my watching. And I am tired already so when I get home I doubt I'll watch anything. It took me two days to get through Phantasm this weekend, but at least I made it to two haunted houses.
Old 10-15-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Maybe someone can mp3 the laserdisc commentary?
Old 10-15-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to Netflix, I've had a chance to watch several titles I haven't seen before. I was blown away by the original Faust - fantastic imagery and a pretty good transfer. The Tingler was also a lot of fun - Vincent Price has an bad trip! - although the final scene made absolutely no sense, narratively speaking. Prom Night was pretty terrible, though it only cost me 99 cents.
Spoiler:
Leslie Nielsen vanishes for the entire second half of the movie, then he's not even the killer? Why would her brother need a phone book to call his own house?
I have also developed a major appreciation for Fay Wray - smokin' gams!
Old 10-15-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Just jumping in so I get updates on the new thread. 'Nother vote for Fay Wray. I didn't realize how cute she was until I saw her on the big screen. It must have been very cold on set.
Old 10-15-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
I watched Bride of Chucky the day before my wedding, nothing on the day of my wedding, and Corpse Bride on the day after my wedding.
I like the way you think

Maybe you could get your new hubby to watch Black Widow with you.
Old 10-15-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I am a bit ahead of what I was last year. I am doing very well with this. I hope to get close to 100 and at the very least I will beat my score of 78 from last year.
Old 10-15-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Just jumping in so I get updates on the new thread. 'Nother vote for Fay Wray. I didn't realize how cute she was until I saw her on the big screen. It must have been very cold on set.
Old 10-15-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Can't say I'm especially fond of the new first page.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I am a bit ahead of what I was last year. I am doing very well with this.
Same here. In fact, I just realized I'm currently about 14 titles ahead of last year's pace.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.