Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you guys buy all the 2 disc versions?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you guys buy all the 2 disc versions?

Old 10-01-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is a 2-Disc option & single Disc option, I always buy the 2-Disc version even though (especially with the 2-Disc ĎSpecial Editionís the WB makes) %99 of the bonus features are total sh*t.

Keep in my though, I donít go to the theatres anymore & I blind buy my movies, so people who already spent the dough going to the theatres & watching the movie have a tougher decision whether or not they want to spend the $4-5 for the 2 disc versions or save some cash & get the 1-Disc, barebones.

For me, when it comes to DVDs, the price is no factor. For people that go too the theatres, I can see why the price is a bigger factor. Going to the theatres ainít cheap.
Old 10-01-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost always go for the single-disc version these days. They're cheaper and I never get around to watching disc 2 features anyway.
Old 10-01-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by schbee
I can't seem to get myself to pay like $5-$7 more for a 2 disc version over the single disc. For example Knocked Up, Spiderman 3, New POTC. Are people getting them new or waiting for price drops?
If you're gonna spring for one 2-discer, Knocked Up is well worth it. Holy hell, there's a lot of content on disc two. And it's not promo fluff either. A lot of it was specially created by Apatow himself while making the movie, knowing that the DVD would benefit from this hilarious material.

And to answer your question, I always buy the 2-disc version if there's a choice.
Old 10-01-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on the features, but usually no since usually the second disk is a couple of hours of fluff I have no interest in.

Sometimes I end up not buying the movie at all because the compulsive side of me wants the 2-disk but the frugal can't justify it, so I just sit it out or wait until I can get it as part of a buy 1 get 1 free at Columbia House.
Old 10-01-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the film and the features.

But usually the 2-disc.
Old 10-01-07, 11:52 AM

I'll always go for the single disc. I just don't care about extras, even if it's my favorite movie.
Old 10-01-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always buy the 2-Disc. 99.9% of the time the extras are worth it to me.
Old 10-01-07, 01:03 PM

Usually the 2 disc. But it depends on the price, how much I like the movie & what exactly the extras are on the 2 disc edition. If it's a movie I like, but not love and it's something I want in my collection I have no problem getting the 1 disc version. But if the 2 disc is just slightly more than the 1 disc the I'd pony up the difference.
Old 10-01-07, 01:56 PM

I used to always buy the 2-discs. But the last two I got, V for Vendetta and 300, sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. They felt scammish like they spread things over 2 disks just to inflate the price the 50% or so. I don't know if I'm going to keep getting the 2-disks from now on or not, Transformers, Spidey 3, and Die Hard 4 are 1 & 2-disc releases I know of that are on my shopping list. All will be blind buys so I'm already taking a gamble (a big one with Spidey 3) on whether I will even like the movies.
Old 10-01-07, 03:41 PM

I always buy 2-disc. I like features. Sometimes more than the movie.
Old 10-01-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't agree with charging more for a 2 disc release. So if I were to buy 99% of the new releases today. I'd go for the 1 disc version instead. Since most of the 2 disc sets are scams,especially at the inflated prices.

The last current film I got was War of the Worlds. And it was an Xmas present two years ago. But I told mom to just get the 1 disc version. Since not only was it cheaper. But I don't think the $30 for a two disc edition(as Target was charging) was worth it for a making of documentary on the film,and no trailers or deleted scenes(my two favorite features). Sure the 2 disc had the cooler cover art,but i wasn't going to let that lure me into purchasing it.

And I only upgraded on some catalog titles when I was able to find the SE set for a terrific price. I was perfectly happy with my single disc Dawn of the Dead 'divimax' dvd from Anchorbay. But when Circuit City had the 4 disc Ultimate set for $17 a couple years later. I couldn't pass that up and bought it and sold the old disc. And while I don't like the two other versions of the films included. The commentaries and making of features,along with the huge amount of trailers and tv spots made it a good purchase.

The one thing I hate about the separate issues of dvds now. Is that the 2 disc editions are rarely available for rental. I have'nt seen 1408 yet,but it appears everyone agrees the film falls apart durring the last 20 minutes. And the 2 disc release includes a directors cut with a supposedly better ending.

But I'm tight on money,so I'm not going to go and buy the higher priced 2 disc edition. And I'll most likely rent the 1 disc edition and see what I think of the film. Then I'll just ask for spoilers on what the DC is like,since I don't see myself getting it anytime soon.
Old 10-01-07, 05:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
if it is a movie i like and buy, it will always be the 2-disc. always! i just want as much of it as possible and couldn't stand there is more out there that i didn't have.
Old 10-01-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always get the 2 Disc. With all the Buy 1 Get 1 Free codes in CH it's hard to pass them up. Also, the ones that don't hit CH I buy in the stores or online but I figured all the money I save from CH makes up for it.
Spoiler:
Just completed one of my CH accounts, I had a commitment of 3 (I never order the 1st at $9.95 so I can get one in the club that I rather have that isn't available as enrollment) :

Order #1:
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C: S2 $23.37
Tom and Jerry SC: Vol3 Free
Bosom Buddies: S2 $21.57
Knocked Up (Unrated)CE Free
Total $58.92 (Had to pay s/h on Gomer & Bosom Buddies)

Order #2
Surf's Up Special Edition Free
Transformers Special Edition $22.95
Total $22.95

$81.87 (Order #1 & 2 total)
$ 2.94 (enrollment - Catch & Release, Norbit, Music & Lyrics, The Holiday, Freedom Writers, + Droopy)
$84.81 (12 DVDs)
Old 10-01-07, 05:51 PM

Most of the time I stick to the 1 disc edition because I don't give a shit about boring special features that I'll never watch once let alone multiple times. I buy a movie for the MOVIE not the special features. That said, there have been a few special features I have enjoyed on DVDs, but none enough to merit spending extra money on.
Old 10-01-07, 06:44 PM

I hate the idea of the separate deluxe edition. It wasn't that long ago that studios were offering a deluxe edition as the first and only release, for the same price that the standard edition is going for now.
Now I understand that it is possible that this is the only way that we would get the extra special features now. But unless someone really in the know confirms that, it's much more likely this is just an example of corporate greed.

I must admit, however, that this upsets me primarily because I'm a sucker for special features and always have to get the deluxe edition
Old 10-01-07, 08:18 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

always opt to get the 2 disc Special Editions just because every so often I like to watch the Special Features they have. I rarely buy 1 disc versions, especially if I'm pretty sure there will be a chance of a double dip somewhere along the line eg 'Zodiac'
Old 10-02-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Depends on the movie but generally, if there's a 2 disc, I'll get that.
Old 10-02-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to always buy the 2-disc if there was one available but I realized that I never watched the extras. Now I only buy the 2-disc version for movies that I really like.
Old 10-02-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on the movie. But I try to read reviews of the extras first to see if they are worth owning since we get alot of fluff featurettes nowadays. Plus, cost is a factor. It's not always worth it to me to pay an extra $8-$10 for a bonus disc, especially since a couple of years ago, that bonus disc didn't used to cost extra at all.
Old 10-02-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I generally don't bother with 2-disc DVDs as long as the single-disc alternative has some extras.
Old 10-02-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
More often than not, I'll get the 2-disc version.
Old 10-02-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm one of the OCD people that will always buy the best edition of a film I want, usually regardless of cost difference. Funny thing is I really never watch bonus features that much because I have so many unwatched films, I'd rather watch a new one than some extras on another. But lately that's changed so I at least feel like I'm getting my money's worth for getting the 2-disc sets.
Old 10-02-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

90% of the time I'll get the 1-disc version. I find that I simply do not have time to watch most special features. In fact, I have too many DVDs sitting in my apartment that I haven't had time to watch once yet. I'll only get the 2-disc if I really think I'll spend time to watch the second disc. I think the last one I got was Batman Begins.

Also, my favorite special feature is commentary, and that is usually on the 1-disc editions as well.
Old 10-02-07, 03:09 PM

I almost always buy the best version, even if it's only because of nicer packaging and lobby cards or something. It really enhances my enjoyment of the experience. Especially with classic films, where the circumstances surrounding the making of the movie are often as interesting as the film itself. The extras are vital.
Old 10-02-07, 03:48 PM

i use too, now i dont give a shit.

unless its something i really care about for example transformers than its the 2-disc edition.

one of the reason i stopped caring was because of the narnia bullshit disney pulled releasing a 4-disc like 6 months after the 2-discer came out

the other reason is money/time. like others have said that extra 5-7 is a waste sometimes and for me could go towards another dvd

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.