Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix [merged w/ video quality thread]

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Future Shop exclusive of the 2 Disc version includes a 3D Cover and a bonus disc.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...752469B1B2DD16
So it comes with three discs, correct?
Old 11-16-07, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random question semi-related to the topic. i see an ad in the new issue of entertainment weekly that shows what looks like re-releases of the first four harry potter films w/ slightly different cover art (basically just borders over the original cover art, and a little "year __" label on the bottom center. are these just repackagings of the old versions or are they supposed to be new with more special features, etc. i'm assuming it's the former, but just wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.
Old 11-17-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
So it comes with three discs, correct?
According to the Future Shop website, yes.
Old 11-20-07, 09:55 PM

Bestbuy.ca has their Potter splash page toting 7 versions of the film here.

Looks like they'll be a gift set with miniature replica of the mask worn by Lucius Malfoy. and your various SD and HD versions..
Later
Old 11-25-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the US is going to get the same gift set. There's a listing for it on bestbuy.com It's mine!
Old 11-26-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31503
Old 12-10-07, 12:51 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Future Shop exclusive of the 2 Disc version includes a 3D Cover and a bonus disc.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...752469B1B2DD16
Target is offering the same 3d slipcover and the bonus disc for us U.S. residents. Saw it in a commercial.
Old 12-11-07, 04:48 PM

Harry Potter OOTP Video Quality

I watched the new OOTP DVD and, I have to say, it has the worst picture I've seen on a DVD in a long time. The faces of the actors are often blurry. The colors are dim. For a modern film this seems totally unacceptable. Does anyone else have an opinion or idea on why the video is so poor? It's not even a long film.
Old 12-11-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think WB likes to give sub-par transfers to newer titles to make HD seem more appealing. The Departed was a crap transfer on SD, but the HD is supposed to look amazing. I was on the fence about which version of HP to get, since I have the previous 4 on SD, but the crap pq seems to tell me to go with HD.

Last edited by islandclaws; 12-11-07 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a bit of a quandry. I own the SD versions of HP 1-4 and plan on getting OotP. I don't want the HD giftset since I'd rather have all 7 films in one collectible set, since once part 6 comes out it'll already mismatch. I've read the pq on the SD of OotP sucks, so I wondering if I should get the Target exclusive of the SD or just buy OotP on HD and wait for the eventual box of all 7 films in HD. Ugh. Sometimes it sucks being such an OCD collector. Thoughts?
Old 12-11-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is everything on the 3rd disc on the hD-dvd?
Old 12-11-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone here picked up the Target Exclusive? How long does the exclusive bonus disc run? Anyone have any pictures of the set?
Old 12-11-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I think WB likes ot give sub-par transfers to newer titles to make HD seem more appealing. The Departed was a crap transfer on SD, but the HD is supposed to look amazing. I was on the fence about which version of HP to get, since I have the previous 4 on SD, but the crap pq seems to tell me to go with HD.
I think this theory was brought up when HD was coming out. I'd totally believe it. We need an insider to spill the beans.
Old 12-11-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I think this theory was brought up when HD was coming out. I'd totally believe it. We need an insider to spill the beans.
I'd love to see it come to light, but then WB would have to offer a refund of sorts for everyone that bought their knowingly inferior product.
Old 12-11-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know. The last Harry Potter film looked horrible on standard-def DVD, as well. On top of that, a number of other Warner Bros. titles look like crap on standard DVD. Superman Returns and Batman Begins comes to mind.

I actually forget about this problem when a WB movie comes to DVD that I want, and then I end up wishing I hadn't purchased it, because the picture quality looks like crap. I think it's time something is done about this.
Old 12-11-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
from dvdbeaver's review:

Harry Potter 5 is more or less about as frequently set in the dark as Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, but this 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer is leagues above the one for POTC 3. This is a clean, smooth, sharp transfer without any of the nasty noise or muddiness that plagued Disney’s sub-par effort. Detail is excellent for standard definition.
Old 12-11-07, 07:26 PM

i have the target disc. i bought it for the better looking cover-art, though. the extra disc is 20 mins, and it details the set-design. i watched some of the other supplements on the bonus disc and they aren't that great - certainly not worth watching again.
Old 12-11-07, 07:50 PM

yeah, i read that dvdbeaver review; however, i've seen the dvd with my own eyes and the review is incorrect. the first three HP films are much sharper than the 4th and 5th. and why is the reviewer comparing the dvd to another sub-standard disc?
Old 12-11-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeee
i have the target disc. i bought it for the better looking cover-art, though. the extra disc is 20 mins, and it details the set-design. i watched some of the other supplements on the bonus disc and they aren't that great - certainly not worth watching again.
Thank you for the information. It's too late for me, because I already opened the copy I bought from Best Buy. I didn't know, until after I bought my copy at Best Buy, that Target had a bonus disc. I knew about the 3D cover. It wasn't that important to me. I did buy the last Harry Potter DVD release at Target, and that one had a 3D cover, but, I didn't really think it was worth paying more for it.

I did end up getting double points on my Best Buy Reward Zone card, for buying before 11 a.m., so, at least that's something.
Old 12-11-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a bonus disk inside the Target exclusive? I thought it was just the cover they had.
Old 12-11-07, 09:34 PM
Banned

The Target cover is fuckin' HOT! They'd have earned my $$$ for that alone, but a bonus disc, too??? Ah, hell yeah! The no-brainer to end all no-brainers. I wish to God these exclusive retailer bonus DVDs would include the film's trailer if/when the film's DVD doesn't, though.
Old 12-11-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by God, Part II
The Target cover is fuckin' HOT! They'd have earned my $$$ for that alone, but a bonus disc, too??? Ah, hell yeah! The no-brainer to end all no-brainers. I wish to God these exclusive retailer bonus DVDs would include the film's trailer if/when the film's DVD doesn't, though.
Yeah I got it just for that damn cover. That was damn good looking. Surprised the hell out of me to see a bonus disc in it when I opened it up.
Old 12-11-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Bestbuy Boxset:

The Target Lenticular Packaging:

Old 12-12-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one week I choose to skip stopping by target and they have a potter lenticular. Did they even advertise it in the ads? Hopefully they don't sell out, I'll try and nab one 2morrow.
Old 12-12-07, 07:57 AM

Stopped at my local clueless Target yesterday morning for exclusive deluxe edition. Electronics employee insisted they didn't get them in. I went to customer service to complain and ask for a raincheck, he called the desk to say they found them in backroom. I picked one up and opened it in my car to check condition and content.

It had special slipcover but no third disc. I went through the 2nd discs menu options (in-dash DVD player) to make sure Target exclusive content wasn't on a specially-authored disc. Returned to store to complain. New desk employee dug through papers to find a memo telling stores to print new UPC stickers for the Deluxe Editions, becuse once you remove the special deluxe slipcovers, the regular 2-disc version and the 2-disc + Target bonus DVD deluxe editions are indistinguishable--exact same UPC.

I had to go through a couple of them to find one with the third disc inside. Withough opening them up, I just weighed them in my hand. If you remove the cardboard slipcovers from a regualr 2-disc and a 3-disc deluxe, you can feel the added weight from the 3rd and and cardboard envelope inside the case.

So... check before you leave the store to confirm that a 3rd disc is actually inside. Simply grabbing something off the shelf with the deluxe slipcover isn't enough to guarantee you're getting what you expect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.