Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner - so many versions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, yes, it will have a set number, but nobody knows yet what that set number is. It could be 1200, it could be 12,000,000; nobody knows at this point.
I recall reading somewhere it was 40,000.
Old 12-04-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Finally, we've also gotten our hands on the final packaging for Warner's Blade Runner: The Final Cut - Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD (SRP $78.92, but just $54.99 on Amazon - also available on Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD - SRP $99.98 each but just $66.95 on Amazon). The plastic case is, of course, a replica of Deckard's Voight-Kampf machine case from the film. When you trip the two latches and open it, you'll find that the top presents a black file folder containing 8 large cards featuring production artwork from the film (Syd Mead pre-production sketches, storyboard artwork, etc). Beneath that, contained in its own plastic pouch, are two pieces of clear Lucite (attached magnetically) containing a lenticular-motion image from the film. It's a shot of Deckard raising his gun as he's about to enter his apartment at the end of the film. You can view the clip either inside the Lucite or removed, but the Lucite stands, allowing you to display the image nicely on your desktop of shelf. Beneath this, the bottom half of the case is covered with a clear plastic sheet. Printed on the sheet is a signed letter from Ridley Scott, explaining how and why the final cut was created, along with one of his own 'Ridleygram' drawings of Deckard in his apartment. You then lift this up to find a padded foam enclosure underneath, containing the Digipack for the actual movie discs (complete with an insert booklet), as well as a pair of cool swag items. The first of these is a silvery plastic replica of Gaff's unicorn origami (from the end of the film - it stands about 2½ inches tall). The other is a 4-inch long plastic replica of the Police Spinner vehicle, complete with accurate markings and doors that swing open vertically. Each briefcase is individually numbered via a sticker on the bottom of the case. All in all, it's an incredibly cool presentation. And all this is before you even watch a single frame of video on the discs (which we'll review separately for you in full detail as soon as they arrive).

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Old 12-04-07, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ARG, there's only 12 left at the futureshop.ca website and none left at bestbuy.ca. I really don't know what to do. If i buy this now my credit card is going to murder me (so will my girlfriend ) but i just can't let this pass between my fingers!

*sigh*
Old 12-04-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by IG80Nate
I'm a little late to the game on this one, but can anyone clue me in as to what the extras are for this? Commentary, anything of that nature, I hope?
You want extras?.....Well this set has it all....This will probably take me a month to go through the entire set with all the goodies.

Disc 1 - Ridley Scott's All-New "Final Cut" Version of the film - Restored and remastered with added and extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also included is commentary by Ridley Scott and a host of others that worked behind the camera.

Disc 2 - Documentary - Dangerous Days: Making of Blade Runner - A feature-length documentary about the film including viewpoints and insights from the cast and crew. Included are details on every stage of production of the film including special effects, casting, and even the film's literary roots and its place in the sci-fi genre.

Disc 3 - 1982 Theatrical Version - The original that contains Deckard's narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

1982 International Version - Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

1992 Director's Cut - Omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famous "unicorn" sequence, which is a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he is also a replicant.

Disc 4 - BONUS Disc "Enhancement Archive" - Eight featurettes, image galleries, radio interview with the author, and screen tests for the part of Rachel.

Disc 5 - Workprint Version - This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It has an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Rutger Hauer and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), and alternate music.

Also included is commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner and a featurette - "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut".
Old 12-04-07, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Just to add that there are actually 3 separate commentaries on disk 1.
Old 12-04-07, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
The plastic case is, of course, a replica of Deckard's Voight-Kampf machine case from the film.
Gee - here's hope that this plastic case is strong and sturdy - unlike some of the plastic cases for sets like Star Trek.

(i was under some illusion that it may have been aluminium ages ago - but I can't find any details).

hoping also that Warners AND Amazon 'pack' it well for all the deliveries - especially the overseas ones
Old 12-05-07, 08:15 PM

Man, I sure hope the briefcases won't run out anytime soon
Old 12-06-07, 09:57 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

For someone who has heard much about this movei but never watched it, I am assuming that the 4 disc SD (no hd or BR for me) will be great. But what order should the versions be played in?
Old 12-06-07, 10:02 AM

I'm going to hold off until i get feedback from everyone on the day it comes out. Something keeps telling me that the case is going to be a letdown. Not in a presentation way but how it was put together aka it may be really cheap. I'll go to best buy the day of to get a closer look. I still don't have an exact size measure of the case.
Old 12-06-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by JLB
For someone who has heard much about this movei but never watched it, I am assuming that the 4 disc SD (no hd or BR for me) will be great. But what order should the versions be played in?
The new "Final Cut" is the best version of the movie and the one you should watch first. All of the others are really just there for historical comparison purposes.
Old 12-06-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The new "Final Cut" is the best version of the movie and the one you should watch first. All of the others are really just there for historical comparison purposes.
I think this is right. I saw the Final Cut in the theatre, and it was a pretty unforgettable experience.
Old 12-07-07, 08:20 AM

I got This although i am in the UK so i dont know if it is available in the US. I was going to get the briefcase but it only has a couple of extra items and I may have got hit with custom charges.
Old 12-07-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
I will never watch the "work print" so the 4 disc set is just right.
Old 12-07-07, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't fucking wait to have that briefcase.
Old 12-07-07, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
I can't fucking wait to have that briefcase.
You certainly aren't the only one
Old 12-08-07, 12:53 PM
Hal

GREAT Blade Runner briefcase PICS

OMG
Old 12-08-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Awesome
Old 12-08-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those pics make me happy I spent the cash on the HD briefcase. Now I really can't wait for it to arrive.
Old 12-08-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
That's some really cool packaging. I'm very happy to spend the 54.99 on the SD briefcase. If some of you aren't into the packaging, I can see the 4-disc set being suitable for your needs.
Old 12-08-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
OK, those pics have convinced me. I was just going to get the 5-Disc HD version, but those pics have swayed me to go for the HD briefcase.
Old 12-08-07, 04:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Those pics make me happy I spent the cash on the HD briefcase. Now I really can't wait for it to arrive.
Anyone remember how much Amazon had the HD briefcase set for initially? It is showing up as $66 in my pending orders but I could have sworn it was a lot less than that.
Old 12-08-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Anyone remember how much Amazon had the HD briefcase set for initially? It is showing up as $66 in my pending orders but I could have sworn it was a lot less than that.
I want to say it was something ridiculous like $54, but I just went ahead and got mine recently from DD so it's costing me about $74 + expedited s/h. Oh well, for a set this nice it's easily worth it to me.
Old 12-08-07, 05:30 PM

Awesome pics! I may just have to get the case after all.
Old 12-08-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
4 disc version for me.
Old 12-08-07, 05:53 PM

The 4 disk version is only available in sd right? I'm just seeing the 5 disk and briefcase for bluray.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.