Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner - so many versions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The store I work at still has a few of the HD-DVD briefcases left.
Old 01-05-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can someone post pics of the cards?
Old 01-05-08, 08:41 PM

Why oh why oh why didn't they put the digipack in the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD briefcases?
I'm feeling like I'm missing out on something here. The DVD digipack looks great and the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray cases completely ruin the gorgeous design of the set
I've now also ordered the R2 tin version ($40) to replace the ugly Blu-Ray case.
What a stupid move, I think there's gonna be lots more people disappointed when they discover they're missing out on part of the contents.
Old 01-05-08, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nisei
Why oh why oh why didn't they put the digipack in the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD briefcases?
I'm feeling like I'm missing out on something here. The DVD digipack looks great and the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray cases completely ruin the gorgeous design of the set
I've now also ordered the R2 tin version ($40) to replace the ugly Blu-Ray case.
What a stupid move, I think there's gonna be lots more people disappointed when they discover they're missing out on part of the contents.
I hate to be a dick, but are you serious? You would pay $40 just to have a whole other case to replace the perfectly decent one you have already?

Old 01-05-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The deleted & alternate scenes have floored me!

And I'm impressed that it has the option of watching them all edited together chronologically as a (sort of) mini-version of the movie (the 6th version, like the 6th replicant?), including music and in anamorphic widescreen. So it's like a mini 45-minute long alternate version of the movie, which is great for anyone who has seen the movie a lot because it's something new that we haven't seen before. And the quality of the content of the deleted scenes is generally very good, and (for the most part) consistent with what's in the movie.

I have a friend who's probably a bigger fan of this movie than me, so I can't wait to show these deleted scenes to him - he's going to flip!

Last edited by dhmac; 01-05-08 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
The deleted & alternate scenes have floored me!

And I'm impressed that it has the option of watching them all edited together chronologically as a (sort of) mini-version of the movie (the 6th version, like the 6th replicant?), including music and in anamorphic widescreen. So it's like a mini 45-minute long alternate version of the movie, which is great for anyone who has seen the movie a lot because it's something new that we haven't seen before. And the quality of the content of the deleted scenes is generally very good, and (for the most part) consistent with what's in the movie.

I have a friend who's probably a bigger fan of this movie than me, so I can't wait to show these deleted scenes to him - he's going to flip!
This was the first thing I watched from the set, just a great little piece of editing.

One thing that stood out though was how the Holden footage seemed so over the top, I didn't see it fitting in tonally with the rest of the movie.
Old 01-05-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDuke
I hate to be a dick, but are you serious? You would pay $40 just to have a whole other case to replace the perfectly decent one you have already?

My only issue with the BD case was the fact the discs all seem to pop out during shipping. Other than that is looks great.
Old 01-06-08, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Absolutely!
I want this thing to be my "ultimate" edition and the digipack has to be part of that. Anyway, having the added embossed tin packaging with it is also nice although it probably won't fit in the briefcase. Perhaps I'm just going to sell the other extras (cards and lenticular image).
Old 01-06-08, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rizor
Well, Paul Sammon's book has a detailed list of all the changes in the Workprint. Luckily he also provides commentary on the workprint where he makes note of the changes. If you're asking just to get a feel for it, I don't think the movie is hugely altered. Some key points:
- The Ladd logo opens with a white background
- Instead of a crawl, there's a dictionary definition of a replicant
- The opening credits are shorter and different
- The opening sequence lacks the cuts to the eye
- There's no narration until the end of the rooftop sequence at the end (which is different from the theatrical cut, but I believe is heard in the deleted scenes portion)
- Bryant correctly mentions that two replicants got fried instead of one
- There are some additional lines and additional/alternate shots here and there and some added background chatter
- The second half of the movie features temp music
- There's no happy ending and no end credits
I don't know if I am the only one, but I found Sammon's commentary to be superior to Scott's. And this is coming from someone who so much looked forward to what Ridley would have to say, particularly with that awesome commentary he gave on the stand-alone "Alien" release (not the one in the quad box).
Old 01-06-08, 12:39 PM

Does the bluray case in the briefcase version come with shrinkwrap and the seal on the top like a regular bluray release in a store? I'm asking because I bought the regular bluray version and the dvd briefcase version. I am wondering if I could buy the bluray breifcase and return the dvd briefcase plus the sealed bluray one in the briefase to make a set with my opened bluray one. I know it sounds complicated.
Old 01-06-08, 04:42 PM

That does sound complicated indeed but I think I know what you're trying to do.
The Blu-Ray UE isn't shrinkwrapped and doesn't have a seal. But when you want to do that "swap trick" you would still need disc #5 right? And that's not available in the regular Blu-Ray version... So there's no way of buying and simply swappin things. Just buy the R2 UE like I did, the embossed tin alone is worth the price
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maaku/2159175337/
Old 01-06-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
But when you want to do that "swap trick" you would still need disc #5 right? And that's not available in the regular Blu-Ray version...
The 5th disc is included in both the regular and briefcase BD sets in the US, as with the HD DVD sets. it's only the SD DVD where the 5th disc is exclusive to the briefcase set.

ozzfan84, you don't have the right UPC code to return it as a BD briefcase set, since you bought it as a DVD briefcase, nor do you have the proper cover. You also don't have a receipt for it. I also don't know if the store will accept a briefcase that's been opened as a return, whether the discs inside it are sealed or not.

Finally, I don't think it's right to try and return it as a BD set, since you're basically scamming any store you return it to into buying a BD briefcase that by all rights shouldn't exist, and potentially making a profit off of this scam since the DVD briefcase set that you actually bought typically costs less than the BD breifcase.
Old 01-06-08, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The 5th disc is included in both the regular and briefcase BD sets in the US, as with the HD DVD sets. it's only the SD DVD where the 5th disc is exclusive to the briefcase set.

ozzfan84, you don't have the right UPC code to return it as a BD briefcase set, since you bought it as a DVD briefcase, nor do you have the proper cover. You also don't have a receipt for it. I also don't know if the store will accept a briefcase that's been opened as a return, whether the discs inside it are sealed or not.

Finally, I don't think it's right to try and return it as a BD set, since you're basically scamming any store you return it to into buying a BD briefcase that by all rights shouldn't exist, and potentially making a profit off of this scam since the DVD briefcase set that you actually bought typically costs less than the BD breifcase.
I don't think I was clear enough in my initial post. On December 18th, I bought the regular Bluray package plus the briefcase DVD package. (By the way, the regular Bluray package is 5 discs). I have kept the briefcase DVD package sealed since then, but have opened and enjoyed the bluray version. Lately, I've been thinking that it is kind of silly to own both the bluray and the briefcase if I'll probably never open or watch the standard DVDs in the briefcase. So, I was thinking that if the bluray case was sealed inside the bluray briefcase, I would go buy the bluray briefcase, take out the SEALED bluray version and return it with the receipt from the first time I bought the bluray version. I would also return the dvd briefcase which is still sealed-- essentially now owning a bluray briefcase instead of a bluray version plus a dvd briefcase.

But if it isn't sealed in there, I wouldn't be able to return it as the original bluray one I bought anyways, so there's no point in taking this any further I guess.
Old 01-06-08, 09:51 PM

That does sound complicated indeed but I think I know what you're trying to do.
The Blu-Ray UE isn't shrinkwrapped and doesn't have a seal. But when you want to do that "swap trick" you would still need disc #5 right? And that's not available in the regular Blu-Ray version... So there's no way of buying and simply swappin things. Just buy the R2 UE like I did, the embossed tin alone is worth the price
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maaku/2159175337/
Wow! That looks great. Where's the easiest place to order that from?
Old 01-06-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Lately, I've been thinking that it is kind of silly to own both the bluray and the briefcase if I'll probably never open or watch the standard DVDs in the briefcase.
If you don't want the DVDs in the briefcase, I bet you could sell or trade them for a good amount. There are plenty of SD DVD-only fans out there who don't want the briefcase at all.

You could likely sell the 5-disc DVD digipack for the same price you paid for the 5-disc BD, meaning that you'd have the briefcase and the 5-disc BD for less than paying for the BD briefcase set.
Old 01-06-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that the R2 tin is only for the SD DVDs. If you weren't going to watch the R1 SD DVDs in the briefcase set, I don't see why you'd want another set of SD DVDs.
Old 01-06-08, 11:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I bought the briefcase version on HD, but it is still unopened. I imagine there is no reason not to return it for BR, right?

I know that HD discs will always work, but eventually I'll probably only have BRs connected to my various TVs, so I might as well have a set good on each TV and anywhere else I may take it.

HD and BR were the same content wise I imagine.
Old 01-07-08, 05:27 AM

HMV is the cheapest place. Be aware though that you may have to pay import duties when it's passing US customs. And yes, it's the SD 5 disc version including all the items from the briefcase except the unicorn and toycar. But the tin is a great addition. [edit]They're sold out[/edit]

Originally Posted by Trevor
I bought the briefcase version on HD, but it is still unopened. I imagine there is no reason not to return it for BR, right?
Well, if you think the HD war is almost over and decide to go for Blu-Ray I would definitely swap it for a blu-ray version if you have the chance. Or you could keep it as "one of the last Warner HD-DVD releases ever made"

Last edited by Nisei; 01-07-08 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-07-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Or you could keep it as "one of the last Warner HD-DVD releases ever made"
WB is releasing HD-DVD titles through May, so it won't be the last.
Old 01-07-08, 12:43 PM

"one of the last" is not the last indeed.
Old 01-09-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted to get a version of BR, but my laptop has an HD-DVD drive and that format seems to be dead. On the other hand if I get the SD version I will feel like I have an inferior product.

So the smartest options seems to be to get the BR version and wait till I have a way to play it
Old 01-09-08, 11:40 AM

For Darkside or anyone else with the Workprint disc,

Have you noticed a greenish/blue haze on top and bottom of some of the scenes? You can see this on some scenes when the shots are a bit brighter like when Deckard is at the police station, he first meets Rachel etc?

I know that they did the best they could with the workprint to restore it but this looks really off.

thanks
Old 01-09-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
I wanted to get a version of BR, but my laptop has an HD-DVD drive and that format seems to be dead. On the other hand if I get the SD version I will feel like I have an inferior product.

So the smartest options seems to be to get the BR version and wait till I have a way to play it
The upconverted image on the final cut is stunning... so I guess I really don't know about it being inferior.
Old 01-09-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Class316

I would say that we're not talking huge sums of money here, go ahead and get the HD version if that's the drive/player you have. The set is under 30 bucks, right?

Do you have an HD TV to plug your laptop into?

My guess is while Blu-Ray received a hell of a boost from Warners, the game isn't 100% over. The HD players are still much cheaper and less problematic (my brother works at Best Buy and is astonished at all the Blu-Ray player returns- seems the machines hardly work). When someone just spent a fortune on an HDTV, and sees a pricey glitch-filled machine or a reasonably priced sturdy HD player, they might overlook the studio preferences at this time. The studios can and will change their minds if HD picks up. I'm no partisan and own neither, but I think it's still too early to call. Sorry for the off-topic tangent. I just think you should buy what will bring you the most enjoyment for the foreseeable future- I'm sure by the time you upgrade to Blu-Ray (if that format decisively wins), there will be yet another new Ultimate Edition double-dip for you to pick up.
Old 01-09-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chaka
For Darkside or anyone else with the Workprint disc,

Have you noticed a greenish/blue haze on top and bottom of some of the scenes? You can see this on some scenes when the shots are a bit brighter like when Deckard is at the police station, he first meets Rachel etc?

I know that they did the best they could with the workprint to restore it but this looks really off.

thanks
Yeah, I noticed this too. It almost looks like a lens flare but its there in a lot of shots.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.