Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah as far as not trusting an honor system..if your really that bored and need to lie on movies watched to get a 25$ and a couple dvds then more power to ya.

either way i finallt have a reason to watch my boxes of old horror tapes in my closet i got when my job went out.

as far as prizes go i have a couple bins of unopened/unwatched dvds i havent gotten around to. i can look thru there for anything horror related but i doubt it since i tend to mainly watch those first.
Old 09-13-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Yeah, it's pretty much the honor system. And don't forget the lists are public and people will more than likely notice suspicious activity such as someone watching 30 hours of films within a 24-hour time span. But, why anyone would deliberately cheat on something like this is beyond me. Are there really people that dishonest out there? Don't answer that.
I agree. It's pretty pathetic to cheat at something like this. It's not like we're competing for fortune and fame...we're having a good time watching some scary movies.
Old 09-13-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by wordtoyamotha
This is a good point. Last year some people (including me) had a few of non-horror titles in their lists but they didn't count them towards their goal. Nothing wrong with that. I still had fun and I still enjoyed reading everyone's lists.
Yeah, my "Queue" that I posted is strictly "eligible" movies. I plan to watch plenty of cheesy television Halloween episodes (The Simpsons, South Park, Roseanne, Sabrina, The Teenage Witch, That '70s Show, Home Improvement, etc...) as well as some Disney Original Movies (The Halloweentown series, Phantom of the Megaplex, Twitches, Tower of Terror, etc). A few of them actually have a "horror" classification on IMDB, but they aren't really horror so I won't count them except for maybe my 3 "wild cards". It's not like I'm gonna get even close to 100.
Old 09-15-07, 02:28 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 40 horror movies, and I'll probably get the 50 Movie pack Horror Classics at Best Buy. Can anybody recommend any other horror collections for the Challenge?

Last edited by Muddy Shores; 09-16-07 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-15-07, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by dcrw6
EDIT: I forgot, I also have a sealed copy of Haeckel's Tale from Masters of Horror I could donate as well. Just let me know.
Of course donating a copy of Haeckel's Tale is really like stealing an hour of someone else's life.

All kidding aside I think it's cool that you're donating. I know I can come up with some things.

Last edited by NinePoint; 09-15-07 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-15-07, 11:29 AM

i'll be in for it, although i'm lucky if i make ie 20-30. does episodes of freddy's nightmares count, if they do, i'll watch a couple of those, and plan to for the first time watch masters of horror on the movie channel, all the films they plan on showing for the series. and so far i have a list of horror films i plan to watch in october.
Old 09-16-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, I went through my stash. I'm happy to donate the following to the contest (give them out as you wish):

Used/Excellent condition:
1. Signs
2. Puppet Master Vs Demonic Toys
3. Arachnid
4. Cheerleader Camp

Nothing great, but if you haven't seen them and you get them for free, they may be worth the time. At least Cheerleader Camp has quite a few boob shots

Just let me know who these go to, and if it's to one person, or multiple etc. when you hand out the prizes.

I'm happy to find all 4 clunkers a new home. I have to order a few new horror titles in preparation for this year..
Old 09-17-07, 09:14 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
I know a lot of people already have this, but I have a sealed 2-disc Near Dark that I'd be happy to donate to the challenge.
Old 09-17-07, 10:10 AM
Cool New Member

Ooo, this could be fun. 90% of my DVD collection is horror. I could easily reach 25 for the month and depending on hours possibly more.

Does the Garfield Halloween special count?
Old 09-17-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Entropy
If it does, then I'm counting all of the my Disney Halloween movies.
Old 09-17-07, 10:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Entropy
Ooo, this could be fun. 90% of my DVD collection is horror. I could easily reach 25 for the month and depending on hours possibly more.

Sort of, rules at top of thread.

Must be films, not TV, 40 minutes or more. But you get 3 wildcards, so Garfield could be one of your wildcards.

Actually, subjecting yourself to Garfield should count as at least 12 movies imo.
Old 09-17-07, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
If it does, then I'm counting all of the my Disney Halloween movies.
Oh, they absolutely positively count!
Old 09-17-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know some people are sticklers about the movies truly being "horror" so I wasn't sure. Well, maybe I'll actually get closer to my goal this year then (which is still only 31).

Now, if the Cubs get into the playoffs and God forbid, the World Series, my goal will be like 7.
Old 09-17-07, 10:26 AM

Now, if the Cubs get into the playoffs and God forbid, the World Series, my goal will be like 7.
We'll put you down for 31 then.

Anyone own any of those Horror 50 movie packs? Any recommendations/advice?
Old 09-17-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm a Cubs fan... but I'm also realistic. And although I'm not saying they won't be playing in October, I'm still keeping my goal of 31. I've been there before.

As for those 50 packs, I was wondering the same thing. I've just recently gotten into some of the older (not so popular) movies so one of these would be cool to own. I also welcome recommendations/advice.
Old 09-17-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I watch horror all throughout the year anyway, but Halloween is extra special. I love doing this horror movie challenge and I have been involved the past few years. I only average about 15 but it's fun to see what other people are watching and also you can use other people's list's for future buy's that you might not have known were released. I also value everyone's opinon on what's good and even what's bad. This year i'll be in school so my movie total will be low again, but i'm going to get involved just the same. I'll give it my best effort and of course no cheating from me. What my total will be is what it is.
Old 09-17-07, 11:34 AM

Just wanted to make sure, don't think I saw it in the rules post at the top, but MST3K versions count, right?

Just as one of course, even if you watch it non-Misty as well, like commentaries.
Old 09-17-07, 11:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Just wanted to make sure, don't think I saw it in the rules post at the top, but MST3K versions count, right?

Just as one of course, even if you watch it non-Misty as well, like commentaries.
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-17-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Sort of, rules at top of thread.

Must be films, not TV, 40 minutes or more. But you get 3 wildcards, so Garfield could be one of your wildcards.

Actually, subjecting yourself to Garfield should count as at least 12 movies imo.
Would the Hammer House of Horror episodes count? I think they are 51-52 mins each but are they considered film or tv? I have not watched much of the set, it would be nice to include them in the challenge.

I viewed 97 last year, I will try to hit 100 this year but time constraints may prevent this..
Old 09-17-07, 01:27 PM

No, those are considered TV iirc.
Old 09-17-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been putting off seeing a lot of movies over the past few months in anticipation of this. Game on.
Old 09-17-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chad

THIS THREAD IS FOR DISCUSSION ONLY!

---> ACTUAL LISTS WILL GO HERE! <---

This link is not yet active!
To avoid clutter in the lists thread, that thread will be posted just prior to the challenge starting.

Any word on when this link will be active. I just want to try to get a seat up front.

Thanks!

Last edited by Darth Maher; 09-17-07 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Sorry for the brief hiatus. Long weekend.

Alright, here's our list of those willing to donate something (thanks again, BTW):

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
Anyway as for Chad's post above I 've got an extra sealed copy of Children of The Corn Divimax edition I can donate. I bought two by mistake.
Originally Posted by dcrw6
I have my old non-SEs of Candyman and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 I can send out. They're open, but they play fine. And I like the idea of having random winners for people that hit 100.

EDIT: I forgot, I also have a sealed copy of Haeckel's Tale from Masters of Horror I could donate as well. Just let me know.
Originally Posted by terrycloth
as far as prizes go i have a couple bins of unopened/unwatched dvds i havent gotten around to. i can look thru there for anything horror related but i doubt it since i tend to mainly watch those first.
Originally Posted by NinePoint
All kidding aside I think it's cool that you're donating. I know I can come up with some things.
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Ok, I went through my stash. I'm happy to donate the following to the contest (give them out as you wish):

Used/Excellent condition:
1. Signs
2. Puppet Master Vs Demonic Toys
3. Arachnid
4. Cheerleader Camp

Nothing great, but if you haven't seen them and you get them for free, they may be worth the time. At least Cheerleader Camp has quite a few boob shots

Just let me know who these go to, and if it's to one person, or multiple etc. when you hand out the prizes.

I'm happy to find all 4 clunkers a new home. I have to order a few new horror titles in preparation for this year..
Originally Posted by Shack
I know a lot of people already have this, but I have a sealed 2-disc Near Dark that I'd be happy to donate to the challenge.
Aside from the overall winner getting the $25 Amazon GC, I'm still really keen on implementing Shack's idea of having random drawings for those that meet or exceed the main goal of 100. And hey, maybe we could even have one or two random drawings for anyone who participates with the choice of prizes being determined on a highest to lowest count basis. Of course, there's always the chance some might already own the titles being given away, don't care for the titles being offered, don't especially want used DVDs, etc., but that would have to be worked out amongst the winners. Again, this is about having fun more than anything. I just hope that those with the 2nd and 3rd highest counts don't go batshitcrazy because they aren't being offered a prize (unless chosen randomly).

And I'd appreciate if everyone donating something would state specifically what you intend to give away if you haven't already and that you're 100% committed to carrying through with it so I can get the details up on the main page. Just keep in mind that you'll be responsible for incurring the shipping charges of mailing them out.

Last edited by Chad; 09-17-07 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Any word on when this link will be active. I just want to try to get a seat up front.

Thanks!
Probably a day or two before it begins. I'll try and give a head's up in this thread prior to posting it.
Old 09-17-07, 04:38 PM

I've been lurking for a while and I registerred just to join in on this. I've been keeping myself from watching any horror movies just to get myself ready and keep from getting burned out. I'm aiming for 100 but we'll see how things play out.

What's the verdict on borderline movies like Snakes on a Plane or Starship Troopers that would be mostly another genre but have some elements of horror. Do these count or is it a grey enough area that I should just avoid movies like these so there is no need for debate?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.