Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Swarty
Actually I have been using your list. I deleted a couple items because I didnt want to subject myself to an Uwe movie. I also got rid of 1890-1910 because I dont have any horror movies that old, plus I am not a big fan of silent films. The checklist has been very helpful. I have over 2800 DVDs (my OCD) and its hard to decide what to watch sometimes. With the checklist I can watch a movie I probably have never seen and check something off the list.

Later
Swarty
Well, if you really want to feed your OCD, you can complete every decade of horror film history fairly easily. The three films I used for the 1890s, 1900s, and 1910s total about 12 minutes. They may not count in your total (unless you use them as wildcards), but I think it's pretty cool to watch these old films. I've been surprised my the quality of some of the silent stuff.

And nice to know that someone else has used my list, not that I wouldn't have done all the work just for own enjoyment......
Old 10-11-07, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't watched "I Spit on Your grave" without one of the commentaries in awhile. I must be getting soft in my old age because it really got to me this time, I had to keep looking away.
Old 10-11-07, 04:40 PM

I couldn't find any movies for any earlier than 1915 (Les Vampires) so that's the earliest my checklist goes, but I kept most of the other items intact and added a few things of my own, like adding "Rape/Revenge" to the horror subgenre portion of the checklist. It's fun to have something else to work on while completing the challenge itself.
Old 10-11-07, 05:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I couldn't find any movies for any earlier than 1915 (Les Vampires) so that's the earliest my checklist goes, but I kept most of the other items intact and added a few things of my own, like adding "Rape/Revenge" to the horror subgenre portion of the checklist. It's fun to have something else to work on while completing the challenge itself.
No biggie, but if you wanted, the links to the three older films are in my list. They go to the IMDB pages where the films are either located as links or they can be easily found with google.

And thanks, there are a lot of "revenge" films, so I'll add that to my checklist.
Old 10-11-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone yet put in a movie and couldnt...refused to watch it was so bad?

these were from hollywood buy two get two sale and i couldnt find more then two so i grabbed COvenent and blood and chocolate. havent paid them any attention till last night and watched maybe 15 mins of each and refused to continue them. and this is coming from someone who st thru jeeper creepers 1/2 and house of the dead and bloodrayne
Old 10-11-07, 06:18 PM

I liked Blood and Chocolate and The Covenant, but they're definitely not for everyone.

I know there are movies that were made earlier than 1915, but I can't find any to watch free online or rent cheap, is what I meant. I should have clarified that.
Old 10-11-07, 06:55 PM
Banned

I liked the idea of Blood of Chocolate, but it bored me to tears.
Old 10-11-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
And who in the world needs $25 bad enough to lie about watching movies?

Should everyone stop watching long enough to let DarkGod and EdTheRipper catch up? Maybe then we wouldn't have all these sour grapes.

Judging from some of the lists I'm seeing, I'd say there are a few people here willing to lie to get the gift card.

Actually, I was giving some thought to quitting my job so I could catch up. But then I figured I could just follow the lead of others and post imaginary lists. Thanks for the offer though. I appreciate it and I'm sure DarkGod does as well.
Old 10-11-07, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Judging from some of the lists I'm seeing, I'd say there are a few people here willing to lie to get the gift card.

Actually, I was giving some thought to quitting my job so I could catch up. But then I figured I could just follow the lead of others and post imaginary lists. Thanks for the offer though. I appreciate it and I'm sure DarkGod does as well.
Thanks man! With all those sour grapes, we'll have enough wine for everyone!
Old 10-11-07, 07:45 PM

Anyone object to me including Apt Pupil and 1408 as my movies based on novels? I know tech ically they're "novellas" but it's close enough, right?
Old 10-11-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper

Sorry for not responding so soon, Im on my 15 straight film..... Not to mention I have no chance of catching up. I could quit my job and watch 15 movies a day, yet somehow, someway those lists will keep growing.
Old 10-11-07, 07:51 PM

Since I'm not really a legitimate threat in the challenge, I've been spending a lot of time lately watching TV shows. My purpose of entering this challenge is just to enjoy myself, so I have been watching some episodes of Charmed, and will hopefully watch some of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel also. I know they can't be counted, but I don't really care about that. I'm also attempting to watch all of the Halloween specials in my TV DVD collection.
Old 10-11-07, 08:06 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Tomorrow's TCM marathon!

6:00 AM - The Wild, Wild Planet (1965)
7:45 AM - From the Earth to the Moon (1958)
9:30 AM - The Thing From Another World (1951)
12:00 PM - Forbidden Planet (1956)
2:00 PM - The Invisible Boy (1957)
3:30 PM - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
6:00 PM - The Satan Bug (1965)
8:00 PM - Homicidal (1961)
9:30 PM - Strait-Jacket (1964)
11:15 PM - 13 Ghosts (1960)
12:45 AM - The Tingler (1959)

I know most of these, but has anyone seen The Satan Bug or Strait-Jacket?
Old 10-11-07, 08:16 PM

Strait-Jacket is hilarious. It's a highly campy cash-in to the psychotic woman killer movies of the 60s.
Old 10-11-07, 08:50 PM

I know I'm late to this discussion but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm the one Darkgod is referring to in his "attacks". I had 2 days off. I literally got about 3 hours of sleep each day and sat in front of the tv for the entire day.

I'm glad you and others have better things to do but when you're on a tight budget and pretty much broke at the moment vegging in front of the tv is something I'd do.

And if you'll take notice as of now I've watched 1 horror film today. I woke up at 6am, Watched the first 40 minutes of Jennifer, went to work for 8 1/2 hours. Came home, showered and then went out to the theater (45 minute drive) to see Eastern promises which was leaving tonight. I then went out and had dinner, stopped at boarders and attempted to hunt down a copy of House and/or House 2 and no where carried it (hell, best Buy only carried horror films from the past 5 years... wtf).

So anyway, I got home, made some phone calls, finished Jennifer and I just now put in Cemetery Man. Also, my movie watching sometimes extends past midnight. If I've watched 3/4 of a film before midnight I count it as that past day (unless I've stopped it to go to bed).

I also made note before as well that there will be days when I get nothing watched. But on my days off (except next Friday) I will most likely veg in front of the tv.

-----

Edited to fix a typo

Last edited by wlverinefactor; 10-11-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Anyone object to me including Apt Pupil and 1408 as my movies based on novels? I know tech ically they're "novellas" but it's close enough, right?
I'd think they would count. I just finished Fright Night (amazing how your list grows when you watch movies instead of whine) and I forgot how awesome it was. I mainly watched it to lead into the second one (which is OOP and I plan to sell), but it was great to see it again.

Last edited by FusionX; 10-11-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 09:51 PM
Mod Emeritus

Guys, let's drop the comments about each other.
Old 10-11-07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by FusionX
I'd think they would count. I just finished Fright Night (amazing how your list grows when you watch movies instead of whine) and I forgot how awesome it was. I mainly watched it to lead into the second one (which is OOP and I plan to sell), but it was great to see it again.
Ooh, I need to pick up Fright Night and Fright Night 2. I've only ever seen the first 20 minutes of part 2 because it was back when we couldn't watch horror movies when I was a kid so we watched 20 minutes and then had to change the channel quick when my mom came home. It's harder than hell to find some of them though, even on Ebay.
Old 10-11-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shack
has anyone seen The Satan Bug
It's not bad and it's also loosely based on a novel.
Old 10-11-07, 10:22 PM

I actually almost bought Fright Night tonight for the free ticket to 30 days of night but because it was circuit city I opted not to.
Old 10-11-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
(hell, best Buy only carried horror films from the past 5 years... wtf).
this is whats killing me is my local stores just dont carry older horror movies and i hate using my credit cards online since i always have problems. so im stuck with my own collection *with alot of good titles, but just seen em so many times* or settling for what the movie channels are airing.

the other night at work it was a toss between Urban Legends 2 or nothing for the night...i watched The life of ryan instead *which i really wanna use as a wildcard for watching such crap
Old 10-11-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycloth
Has anyone yet put in a movie and couldnt...refused to watch it was so bad?
She Beast and Blackenstein were tough slogs. I still couldn't tell you what She Beast was about. As much as I love horror, there really is no quality filter with horror. 90% of everything is shit, but it usually gets lost in the sands of time (I have hundreds of trailers to prove they existed), but Horror is the only genre that parades its shit front and center (even sci-fi is embarrassed by, but is affectionate to its shit). There are certain filmmakers held in relatively high regard that are execrable by any real standards of judging, but get a pass because they throw in a scene or two of violence and/or blood (CoughHGLewisCoughJoeD'Amatocoughcough) in their flicks. That said, there really are some gems buried in the shit.
Old 10-11-07, 11:21 PM
Banned

I've had a rough time with the Mummy sequels, even at just over an hour they seem to move so slowly. That and there is so little variance in plot.
Old 10-11-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Well, I'm about where I thought I'd be with my list... I wish I could watch more movies, but I just can't seem to function lately with too much lack of sleep.

You may notice a lot of "lite"/"safe" movies/shows on my list. This is mostly because latlely I've tried to start the movies/shows while my kids are still up... can't really watch "Hellraiser" with a 3-year old hanging around. And my 3-year old has been pretty difficult to put to bed lately. She comes out her room about 5-6 times a night. My wife has a broken toe so I end up hauling my daughter back into her room. I'm seriously considering buying a lock for her room. Just let he sit in there and scream for 2 hours. Of course, then sh'd wake up my 8 month old and I'd have 2 screaming kids... and my movie would rewmin in PAUSE mode for longer than it already does. So it's taking me like 2-1/2 hours to watch a 90 minute movie lately.

By the time, the "safe" movie ends, I'm dead tired. The only reason I am still up now is because I am waiting for the washer to finish so I can throw the clothes in the dryer. I try to watch some stuff at work, but I've been too busy lately. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, enough of my crying. I like the "Bingo Card" list. It has absolutely no effect on what movie I choose to watch, but it's fun to look at it when I am updating my list to see how the stats compare.
Old 10-11-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was gonna watch Demons 1 and 2 from the now OOP double disc set of the Dario Argento Collection Vol 2 released by Anchor Bay a couple of years back. i was so sad and super pissed to find that both discs has rotted so badly that the surface of the discs looked as if somebody dripped acid all over it!

and then when i popped in the Vol 1 collection consisting of Phenomena and Inferno i was again upset to find out that Phenomena wouldn't even load

it doesn't help matters to know that Phenomena is OOP and i don't even know when BU is going to re-release it.

i can't help it but i just have this very bad habit of buying DVDs and keeping them for years before i break the seal and watch them

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.