Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I think he meant those decades, not the specific years.
They would probably make more sense. Looks like I should have heeded my grandmother's advice about horror movies rotting the brain.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
One thing I've decided to do is watch various documentaries,specials,featurettes,trailers,etc...Anything to do with horror.
But, of course, I won't include any of these in the "official" listing of my marathon. Just consider them as "Extra goodies" to round out the kickass viewing experience of this challenge.
Haven't gotten around to watching the actual film yet, but I've been enjoying the hell out of the 2nd disc of "Blood from the Mummy's Tomb" with all those great Hammer trailers. Sometimes they're even better than the actual films themselves!
Old 10-04-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope you have fun with your first pick. All 3 of my Netflix selections didn't arrive today
My Netflix service has been going down the toilet these last couple weeks. I'm used to 1-2 day turnarounds, but lately it's been taking up to a week just for my discs to arrive back at the distribution center. I'm hoping this is just temporary, as they have always been really good to me.

Really bad timing on their part though. Don't they know it's the October Horror Movie Challenge?
Old 10-04-07, 08:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Decade Bingo!

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1890's.
-X- 1890s: The Execution of Mary Stuart (1895)
-X- 1900s: Le Chaudron Infernal
-X- 1910s: Frankenstein (1910)
-X- 1920s: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
-X- 1930s: Son of Frankenstein
-X- 1940s: House of Frankenstein
-X- 1950s: House on Haunted Hill (1959)
-X- 1960s: The Brain That Wouldn't Die
-X- 1970s: The Last House on the Left
-X- 1980s: Alien
-X- 1990s: Hideous!
-X- 2000s: Shaun of the Dead

Last edited by Trevor; 10-05-07 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 12:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hadn't watched any of the classic horror films before the Challenge, and so far I'm impressed. The theater-style acting takes a little getting used to, but it establishes the characters immediately. Black-and-white serves the horror genre well. I especially like the short run-times (70 - 80 minutes) - there's no wasted scenes.

I'm looking forward to Dracula...
Old 10-05-07, 12:14 AM

I personally thought the firsts eason of Masters of Horror was weak. About 4 or 5 shows worth seeing so not even half were good.

For this challenge I decided to watch the second season and it started off well. I liked the first two. The third movie was very tales from the crypt. And then it just went down hill. Just finished Pro Life and it was one of the worst, right up there with Dance of the Dead from season 1.

I'm actually really excited for Washingtonians but alas it comes near the end.

Oh and thanks guys for those older films. They were actually a good watch and I'd recommend them since they are short.

Does anyone have a better description of how the Wildcard system works. Do I get 3 wildcards or 1? Do they need to be 3 different types? I do want to watch the Peanuts Halloween special
Old 10-05-07, 01:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fiver
9. Spider Baby (1964)
I'm not completely sure, but I THINK this was supposed to be a comedy. Either I believe that, or it was a really really bad movie The opening and closing narration is some of the funniest shit I've heard in awhile (worthy of Criswell). It did have a few effectively creepy moments, but overall it was wet down by the comic aspects.
Michael
Spider Baby is indeed a comedy. It's a very black comedy and its humor derives from the characters and situations rather than jokes. I don't think it's quite fair to compare it to Ed Wood Jr.'s output, though. It's closer to the Addams Family (without jokes) in tone than anything else. It's just so unique that it's really hard to compare it to anything else. Watch it again sometime in the future, knowing that it's supposed to be funny and you might enjoy it more.

I'm seeing some of the newer lists aren't numbered. Don't forget to number your lists.
Old 10-05-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Spider Baby is indeed a comedy. It's a very black comedy and its humor derives from the characters and situations rather than jokes. I don't think it's quite fair to compare it to Ed Wood Jr.'s output, though. It's closer to the Addams Family (without jokes) in tone than anything else. It's just so unique that it's really hard to compare it to anything else. Watch it again sometime in the future, knowing that it's supposed to be funny and you might enjoy it more.
Wow. Thanks for taking the time to respond. The only part I felt was akin to Ed Wood was the main narrator's acting (esp. in the opening and closing monologues). I figured that the rest of the movie was probably supposed to be funny, but the clues weren't too obvious to me at the time. Even at 80 minutes, the movie seemed just a wee bit long to me. I did like the two girls in the movie (esp. when playing spider).
Old 10-05-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Wow. Did anyone else watch Return of Dracula on TCM? And I thought the title theme for The Shining was original!
Old 10-05-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Somebody care to share their thoughts on Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane? I saw it, but haven't heard anything about it really, nor do I see a thread on it. I Might pick it up to add to my quota for the month..
Old 10-05-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
How 'bout this for an updated "special stats":

--- Watch a film that takes place on a holiday.
Old 10-05-07, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher

I was actually thinking of that one earlier.

Another to cross my mind is

Watch a film with the following ratings

G
PG
PG-13
R
Unrated

Of course I'm not sure of any G horror films and didn't include nc17 as I wasn't sure if there was any.

On a different note has anyone else seen Wrong Turn 2 yet? What a stinker.

Oh and does The Haunting Hour count as a horror film? It's a family film but imdb has horror listed. It's like a full movie version of a goosebumps book but not based on one.
Old 10-05-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Somebody care to share their thoughts on Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane? I saw it, but haven't heard anything about it really, nor do I see a thread on it. I Might pick it up to add to my quota for the month..
i watched it a couple nights ago, it's like a watered down snakes on a plane but if you're into zombie movies then i'd recommend it. it's not TERRIBLE and probably worth a rental but i sure won't be purchasing it.
Old 10-05-07, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher

Awesome, added.

Edit to add: Added the ratings idea also.

Changed template back a page a two, and on my list.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-05-07 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Question...
I have the Aftermath/Genesis dvd from director Nacho Cerda. Basically, the disc is the Aftermath short(30 minutes), the Genesis short(30 minutes) and The Awakening short(10 minutes). I was wondering if I could list these as my 3 wildcards or if I am able to only list one of the 3. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i watched it a couple nights ago, it's like a watered down snakes on a plane but if you're into zombie movies then i'd recommend it. it's not TERRIBLE and probably worth a rental but i sure won't be purchasing it.
Thx for the heads up, I'll try to save my cash from the sounds..
Old 10-05-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Question...
I have the Aftermath/Genesis dvd from director Nacho Cerda. Basically, the disc is the Aftermath short(30 minutes), the Genesis short(30 minutes) and The Awakening short(10 minutes). I was wondering if I could list these as my 3 wildcards or if I am able to only list one of the 3. Thanks in advance!
I got the same thing coming next week. I was just gonna include it all as one.
Old 10-05-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the same thing coming next week. I was just gonna include it all as one.
That's actually more than likely what I'm going to do now that you mention it. It's only 70 minutes so it won't seriously cut into my feature time. And it'll free up the wildcards for future use. Thanks!
Old 10-05-07, 07:23 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Question...
Originally Posted by the rules
There are 3 wild card options. This would include any choice of film or short that does not fit into the feature rule (the other rules cannot be superceded). The wild card can be used for any horror related item, including It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, various halloween Bugs Bunny cartoons, Roseanne or Simpsons Halloween episodes, X-Files or Angel the Series episodes, etc. The only caveat is that only one of each type can be counted. For example, you can't count three Bugs Bunny cartoons as your wild cards.
They would count as one wild card. They are short enough that it won't hurt to watch them even if they don't count. Since wild cards are essentially films that don't meet the time rule, and as we have no other restrictions on them, we encourage variety in choosing them.
Old 10-05-07, 08:08 PM

For anyone playing the MPAA ratings bingo card, here is a helpful list from Wikipedia of NC-17 films.

For the G rating, I quickly found one in my collection, the 1941 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, (resubmitted in 1972) but I'm sure there are others.

Edit: Corrected to 1941 version, with resubmission note

Last edited by Trevor; 10-05-07 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 10:27 PM

This is getting addicting. I'm going to beat my goal of 20 by next week.
Old 10-05-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
I tried to enjoy some last night, but then suddenly realized it was the kind that emits a noxious fume from a toxic chemical known as diacetyl, that when nuked and inhaled can lead to a disorder known as "Popcorn Lung" (bronchiolitis obliterans)! Doesn't that sound like the perfect plot for a horror film? Anyway, looks like it's time to dig out the old trusty Presto hot air popper and enjoy popcorn the slow and time-consuming (albeit better, IMO) way.
You don't need to buy the deadly microwave popcorn; Alton Brown did a "Good Eats" episode on making your own microwave popcorn--no diacetyl required. Just put 1/4 cup of popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag with 1 tsp. of olive oil (I use spray), fold over the end (Alton says to staple it because the staples don't cause the sparks that larger metal objects do, but I haven't had the courage to try that) and nuke the bag for 5 minutes, watching it carefully and stopping when the popping slows down to 1 or 2 seconds between pops.
Old 10-05-07, 10:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I need a ruling on a movie for the horror challenge. Beuwolf and Grendel. It's about a half man, half troll terrorizing this villiage in the middle ages, comes complete with a creature in the sea.
Old 10-05-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of these new members is crazy!
Old 10-05-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by JOE29
I need a ruling on a movie for the horror challenge. Beuwolf and Grendel. It's about a half man, half troll terrorizing this villiage in the middle ages, comes complete with a creature in the sea.
Terror and horror go pretty well together in my book. I don't think anyone's gonna complain if you count it. That's the spirit of the challenge -- if it's horror to you, that's what matters.
Old 10-05-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Some of these new members is crazy!

I'm amused by the fact that people whom almost never post here are so deeply entrenched in this year's Challenge. I guess they don't have time to post anywhere else in the forums because they're too busy watching movies every waking hour of the day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.