DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same --> Nov. 20

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same --> Nov. 20

From Billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003617745

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.
Old 07-27-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm all over this...especially if the soundtrack has been remastered.
Old 07-27-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HD and BD as well? hmmm...this could be really interesting, especially the limited collectors edition. I'm glad I never purchased the original release.
Old 07-27-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I believe that date is the 31st anniversary release date of the film. I remember it opened the friday before thanksgiving '76.
Old 07-27-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More Zeppelin now that is so SWEET..........
Old 07-27-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Anyone know how this is going to differ from the current release?
Old 07-27-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't seen this in what seems like forever. I'll gladly get this on dvd. Thanks OP.
Old 07-27-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, the 2 disc Led Zepplin release (circle in the sky mountain and sand on the cover) has Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, Since I've Been Loving You and the Ocean. It was 3 shows so maybe they are from different show for the Ocean and Misty Mountain Hop.

Will be looking for this.

Old 07-27-07, 06:29 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
As a hard-core Led Zep fan - this is a DEFINITE for me!
Old 07-27-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very psyched over the HD release. Will definitely be picking this up but it will be even sweeter if it has Dolby True HD
Old 07-27-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
I'll get it just for Misty Mountain Hop. Speaking of which I still need to get the How the West Was Won DVD...and this reminds me my friend has the CD of that for over a year. Time to get it back...
Old 07-27-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Anyone know how this is going to differ from the current release?
Did you read the first post?
Old 07-28-07, 02:02 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm a bit confused tho after reading the article attached to the link from the OP. Is this going to be a SEPERATE DVD or included with the soundtrack CD?

Did I miss something?
Old 07-28-07, 09:39 PM
Banned

I love Zep, but only their studio stuff....their live stuff is usually akin to the Stones live, in that it's often only barely recognizable as the track it's supposed to be, often because of Page's (often many) guitar overdubs in the studio, and Plant's inability to sing live what he sang in the studio. Love their studio stuff, and as this album is the only live stuff I'd ever heard from them, I hated it.

Which leads me to a question....Is the other live Zep DVD (from multiple sources, 2 discs, you know the one) better than TSRTS? In what way(s)? Are the performances less "erratic", shall we say?
Old 07-28-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I love Zep, but only their studio stuff....their live stuff is usually akin to the Stones live, in that it's often only barely recognizable as the track it's supposed to be, often because of Page's (often many) guitar overdubs in the studio, and Plant's inability to sing live what he sang in the studio. Love their studio stuff, and as this album is the only live stuff I'd ever heard from them, I hated it.

"zombiezilla, your comments here simply suck..."
Old 07-28-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll be getting this also.
Old 07-29-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which leads me to a question....Is the other live Zep DVD (from multiple sources, 2 discs, you know the one) better than TSRTS? In what way(s)? Are the performances less "erratic", shall we say?
It's been said Zeppelin never played a song the same way twice. Somewhat of an exageration. They improvised a lot on stage. They had ques so that the others knew when one was done going off on his own. On film/video you can see Page and Page exchange glaces/nods meaning "Ok, I'm done. Back to routine." Other thing that makes them sound diffent live is that John Paul Jones handles both bass and keyboards. On record they overdub. Do you like "In My Time Of Dying" off Physical Graffitti?. It's live in the studio and not much different sounding than their live performance sound. TSRTS has never been considered Zep at their best but the other live material is just as dis-similair to the studio version, but played better. I've got a bootleg with a version of "Thank You" that has a 10 minute keyboard intro. Entire song takes up entire side of LP. For me the major flaw of TSRTS is the fantasy sequences. The highlight of the film/cd is Page's guitar solo in the middle of "No Quarter" and we don't get to see it. Rent the other Zep DVD set and see if you like it. From a Music Talk standpoint try the BBC Sessions cd. You may find it less "erratic". It has a live in studio sound and is more "routine" but less interesting.
I remember a quote from Plant in the early eighties when he was getting ready to launch his first solo tour, "No more songs over ten minutes".
Old 07-29-07, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm a bit confused tho after reading the article attached to the link from the OP. Is this going to be a SEPERATE DVD or included with the soundtrack CD?

Did I miss something?
The 2 CD remastered/expanded soundtrack is being released simultaneously but separate from the new DVD release.

Love their studio stuff, and as this album is the only live stuff I'd ever heard from them, I hated it.

I think Zeppelin is a brilliant live band, so maybe I'm the wrong person to answer your question. If you want your live performances to sound as close as possible to the studio versions, and you hated the movie soundtrack, you might not find any live Zeppelin that you'll like. But you might rent the 2-DVD release and check out the Royal Albert Hall footage from 1970 - it's a brilliant early performance with more intensity and precision than TSRTS.

TSRTS isn't the absolute best live Zeppelin you can get, especially since '73 was an off-year for Plant (although he has his moments). But Page's playing on "No Quarter" and "Dazed and Confused" is pretty much unsurpassed, and the rhythm section is locked in throughout. It's not what I'd call an "erratic" performance, by any means, and Zeppelin certainly had its fair share of off-nights. Page compiled the movie soundtrack from three separate nights, so he picked the best performances available.

I think the rerelease of the soundtrack with better sound and the bonus tracks will cause many people to reassess the band's performance.
Old 07-29-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by indy81
Page compiled the movie soundtrack from three separate nights, so he picked the best performances available.
Trivia: Page, Plant and Bonham agreed to wear the same clothes each night for continuity of the film. Jones wouldn't do it so you see him in different outfits on different songs.
Old 07-29-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Did you read the first post?
Yes. Do you have any useful information beyond the first post pertaining to my question?
Old 07-29-07, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Trivia: Page, Plant and Bonham agreed to wear the same clothes each night for continuity of the film. Jones wouldn't do it so you see him in different outfits on different songs.
Nice! I was going to post that as a follow up...beat me to it. You know, sometimes I wonder how JPJ actually lasted as long as he did in the band. Then again, the mellotron wouldn' be the mellotron without JPJ.