Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End --> December 4th!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End --> December 4th!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This movie seriously needs an extended edition for extra scenes such as the whole storyline involving:

Spoiler:
Calypso and Davy Jones which was never explained fully in the movie. But apparently the reason why Davy Jones was so pissed because the way the curse worked was that if your true love was faithful to you after 10 years, you would be free from the captaining the Flying Dutchman, Calypso wasn't, and thus Davy Jones was doomed forever. Which means that the scene after the credits has a totally different meaning. As it would mean that Will Turner would be free from the Flying Dutchman and live happily ever after with Elizabeth.

No extended edition = no sale.
Yeah, that definitely needed to be in there for the ending to have much of an impact. Otherwise, it's just kinda of like "Yay....I guess."
Old 10-29-07, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to have this on DVD! I love the cover art and the movie series itself. Right now part 2 is my fav because I haven't seen this one yet as I am wanting to be surprised when I watch it for the first time on DVD.
Old 10-29-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Sweet! That's the version I'm getting, unless Best Buy has something better.
Old 11-16-07, 05:11 PM

I just saw on the Best Buy website that they're having some sort of giftset. Picture is small and there's no other information I could find about it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1780835
Old 11-16-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sevpunkit
I just saw on the Best Buy website that they're having some sort of giftset. Picture is small and there's no other information I could find about it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1780835

What I got was "Limited DVD & Captain _______ Action Figure Gift Set"

Either way, it's mine
Old 11-16-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look, here's a perfectly valid cover image.

I mean, it's all RIGHT THERE.

Old 11-16-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that figure in the Best Buy set looks like Sparrow's father ... what was his name?
Old 11-16-07, 08:10 PM

There's a bit more information on the Bestbuy Canada site

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2-Disc Limited Edition) (Best Buy Exclusive)

But I think they got some of the info wrong:

"This Future Shop exclusive includes a 2-disc DVD and Captain Teague action figure."

Later
Old 11-22-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
According to DVDBeaver, the transfer for the DVD is "very soft, very blurry and washed out".

To quote the reviewer: " (I wonder if the SD DVD video was made to look bad so that the Blu-ray version would look like a huge improvement.)".

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...worlds_end.htm
Old 11-22-07, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
To quote the reviewer: " (I wonder if the SD DVD video was made to look bad so that the Blu-ray version would look like a huge improvement.)".
that would be incredibly annoying if true. maybe i'm paranoid, but i wouldn't completely rule that thought out either...

anywho, saw the dvd today at blockbuster. they had copies out on their counters to advertise the pre-order. slipcover's pretty nice looking. even though i wasn't totally down with the cover art choice, it works pretty well.
Old 11-22-07, 09:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
do we know for certain that Best Buy USA will NOT have a steelbook?
Old 11-22-07, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
that would be incredibly annoying if true. maybe i'm paranoid, but i wouldn't completely rule that thought out either...
I'm sure it has more to do with it being a nearly 3 hour film squeezed onto a single disc. That usually doesn't have a good effect on the transfer and yet another reason why Blu-ray is the way to go. More space means better picture anyway, but the amount of space on a DL Blu-ray disc is enough to have way more than a 3 hour film on the disc and still have it look stunning. A perfect example is the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, which was also one of the first 50gb Blu-rays.

So basically I highly doubt that Disey would lower the picture quality of their dvd to push Blu-ray. Disney has always pushed for the highest picture quality possible on their DVDs, especially with their top-tier titles. I think that this is more an illustration of the limitations of DVD and thus can be used great example to show customers why the upgrade to HD is a great investment.
Old 11-22-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm disappointed to hear about the softness in the transfer. I hope it's not all that bad, because I need to complete the series. Still on the fence about getting the steelbook release from Future Shop, as I'm getting tired of them pimping out every single new release with a steelbook now. Plus, I never did like the overlapping disc layout or those damn tight hubs.
Old 11-22-07, 09:48 AM

From ultimate disney froms....
The 2-disc Limited Edition is called that for a reason: according to the DVD booklet, it's going out of print September 30, 2008.
Old 11-22-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disney has always pushed for the highest picture quality possible on their DVDs, especially with their top-tier titles.
So why not just stretch the film across 2 discs then?

Wasn't Warner accused of intentionally "sabotaging" The Departed, Blood Diamond, et al. so the high-def versions would look really really good in comparison?

Last edited by Defiant1; 11-22-07 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-22-07, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Defiant1
So why not just stretch the film across 2 discs then?
Because it's Disney! They already have idiotic family friendly features like FastPlay, what makes you think they want the average person complaining that their movie stops halfway through and they have to put in a second disc to watch the rest? They weigh their options and choose to put it on one disc at the expense of video quality in order to make the life of the average consumer, who doesn't mind if the quality is slightly below par, that much easier.
Old 11-22-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
Because it's Disney! They already have idiotic family friendly features like FastPlay, what makes you think they want the average person complaining that their movie stops halfway through and they have to put in a second disc to watch the rest? They weigh their options and choose to put it on one disc at the expense of video quality in order to make the life of the average consumer, who doesn't mind if the quality is slightly below par, that much easier.
I think I've drank too much so forgive me if I'm not so fast on the uptake. You said the bolded comment above yet wrote:

Disney has always pushed for the highest picture quality possible on their DVDs, especially with their top-tier titles.
Old 11-23-07, 11:14 AM
Banned

Um....DOes this movie have an audio Commentary on it. The reviews Ive read mention no audio commentary and i definitely wont buy this if it has no commentary.
Old 11-23-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
No commentary this time around...
Old 11-23-07, 10:13 PM

Very disappointing to hear DVD Beaver's review...the site is fairly accurate and now I'm not sure I want to spend money for a new release (maybe wait for used at Hollywood Video). There's been plenty of three hour long movies that look fine on DVD (theatrical cuts of Lord of the Rings, for example), why not this one??
Old 11-24-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31490
Old 11-25-07, 02:20 AM

Okay. Let me explain. Disney has certain priorities. First and foremost is to create consumer and family friendly discs. This means the having the movie all on one disc is a must. Having said that, they will try, without stretching the movie onto two discs, to provide the best picture possible. That means that a nearly 3 hour movie on a Disney DVD will look as a good as any 3 hours movie possibly could if it were stuffed onto one 9gb disc with muiltiple audio tracks. There's no way it wouldn't look a little soft. Be thankful it wasn't a disc made by a crappy studio because then the video would probably be terrible.
Old 11-25-07, 12:01 PM
Banned

^Return of the King standard defintiion DVD looked great. (200 min. vs. 168 minutes.) also the special features were better and we didn't have to pay the extra 5 bucks for extras on the 2nd disk. I was gonna get this just to complete the trilogy but screw it. i am not even going to ask for this as a gift because i dont want anyone to spend money on this.
Old 11-25-07, 03:12 PM

Well, that's strange...DVD Beaver says it's a very poor video quality and DVD Talk and DVD Verdict says it is quite good...okay, I'm back in...not so much that I loved the movie but that it completes the trilogy.
Old 11-25-07, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Return of the King standard defintiion DVD looked great. (200 min. vs. 168 minutes.) also the special features were better and we didn't have to pay the extra 5 bucks for extras on the 2nd disk. I was gonna get this just to complete the trilogy but screw it. i am not even going to ask for this as a gift because i dont want anyone to spend money on this.
Return of the King had terrible picture quality especially compared with its Extened Edition counterpart. And it barely had any features and what was there was not very good at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.