Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition 11-13-07

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 03:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DiscGuy
A *small* wish:

I hope Universal includes the orignal teaser trailer for the 1977 release: A slow dolly up to the lighted tool shed that ends with ET's hand reaching around the door frame. I still remember the first time I saw that teaser!
what?!?

the teaser that is missing from all the current video versions of CE3K is the one that shows all these people on a tarmack at night with a light coming in from in front of them as the camera snakes itself around them... it was very eerie.
Old 08-02-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiscGuy
A *small* wish:

I hope Universal includes the orignal teaser trailer for the 1977 release: A slow dolly up to the lighted tool shed that ends with ET's hand reaching around the door frame. I still remember the first time I saw that teaser!
How would there be an E.T. teaser in 1977 if the movie wasn't even made for another 5 years? Are you talking about the home video release of CE3K?
Old 08-02-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few days ago, The Digital Bits noted that the DVD is going to be a 2-disc set (rather than a 3-disc) like the Blu-ray, and all three versions of the film will be presented with seamless branching on both formats. DVDActive agrees.

I wonder if the studios are trying to push us to convert to high definition by making extras exclusive to those formats. There is no reason why all the extras on the Blu-ray could not have been on the DVD. They were excluded, apparently, to bring more people to the Blu-ray. Which doesn't make much sense, especially when the real draw of high definition is supposed to be the improved picture clarity.

--THX
Old 08-02-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ As someone who isn't ready to commit to HD for video media quite yet (I have a 50" plasma, but dont want to have to decide on HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray for quite a while), I find the substantial content that is exclusive to the Blu-Ray to be quite disheartening. Was gonna buy the SD version, but now I just might wait several years before purchasing this title...
Old 08-02-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I couldn't care less what they add to the Blu-ray version, I'm not going HD until they end the format war. If they want my money then they have to make the SD version worthwhile. If not, then I'll stick with the current CE.
Old 08-03-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably pick it up, assuming its being remastered too. It's been awhile since I watched my dvd, but I remember my copy being grainy as hell.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 08-03-07 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-03-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it seems that the HD/BR content is being split amongst stores as bonus disc for SD-DVD. I wouldn't be suprised to see a Best Buy Exclusive 3 disc set, or something like it.
Old 08-03-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
it seems that the HD/BR content is being split amongst stores as bonus disc for SD-DVD. I wouldn't be suprised to see a Best Buy Exclusive 3 disc set, or something like it.
That's a good thought. If there's a 3-disc exclusive at Target or Best Buy or somewhere, I'll be all over it. Knowing my luck, it will be Circuit City which I do not have anywhere near me.
Old 08-03-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
I'll probably pick it up, assuming its being remastered too. It's been awhile since I watched my dvd, but I remember my copy being grainy as hell.
Can anyone else please chime in about the transfer from the Collector's Edition of Close Encounters, because I'm leaning towards keeping the one that I have if the bonus features play out the way people are speculating?

The review here has the video transfer rated at 4 1/2 stars. That's pretty darn good and better than a lot of brand new films being reviewed daily.

Short of a great HD transfer, can the standard edition really be much better than the one that is already out? I mean even if it goes from 4 1/2 stars to a perfect 5, only the best of eyes will notice that.
Old 08-03-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ It could be better, but I think the main point of this that they are combining all three versions into a single set for the first time on DVD and also adding in some new bonus features. I have personally never seen the '77 original version and would enjoy getting to see it, but probably not enough to make the purchase if we're not getting ALL the bonus features they are making available. I may as well just wait to buy it in HD after the format wars are over. Should be cheaper by then too.
Old 08-03-07, 04:38 PM

Multiple bonus discs, each at a different store? Ugh...

I'm still not in an HD format yet, so I may be purchasing more than one set at different stores to get all the bonus discs...

Ugh again...
Old 08-03-07, 04:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by phraseturner

I'm still not in an HD format yet, so I may be purchasing more than one set at different stores to get all the bonus discs...

Ugh again...
This will be nothing, probably 2 bonuses tops. Imagine having to buy 7 copies of Ghost Rider to get all the bonuses.

Now that was an ugh!
Old 08-05-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I wonder if the studios are trying to push us to convert to high definition by making extras exclusive to those formats. There is no reason why all the extras on the Blu-ray could not have been on the DVD. They were excluded, apparently, to bring more people to the Blu-ray. Which doesn't make much sense, especially when the real draw of high definition is supposed to be the improved picture clarity.
Further evidence:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29525

--THX
Old 08-05-07, 08:54 PM

--THX
If the intention is to force buyers into HD media by withholding SD extras, I don't think it will work. Only on forums like this are extras even discussed. None of my friends even watch extras. Recently, when I tried to show some cool extras to a group of them, all I heard was "boring, let's watch a movie!"

Phil
Old 08-07-07, 11:30 PM

I wonder if the studios are trying to push us to convert to high definition by making extras exclusive to those formats. There is no reason why all the extras on the Blu-ray could not have been on the DVD.
Oh, there's no doubt about it.

All it does is piss me off, and makes me put a film onto my "will not buy" list.
Old 08-10-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDActive now has the artwork for both formats. The design of the DVD package seems like it could be cool, but the artwork is lacking. Reminds me of something I might have seen on the front of a VHS box in the '80s. The Blu-ray is nothing all that special, either. Actually prefer the promo sheet at the bottom.

--THX
Old 08-10-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I'm far from an expert on this film but are you referring to the scene where he's staring at his pillow and says "I've seen this before"? I'm positive that was in the deleted scenes section of the last release.
uhmmm, check again because it's not there.
Old 08-11-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phraseturner

Ugh again...
I'm in the HD-DVD camp and have no plans for Blu-Ray. SO I hope that the bonus features do get an exclusive somewhere on SD as I want it all as well.
Old 08-11-07, 10:07 AM

I'm in the HD-DVD camp and have no plans for Blu-Ray. SO I hope that the bonus features do get an exclusive somewhere on SD as I want it all as well.
The Digital Bit's drumbeat for Blu-Ray must drive you crazy, then...

When you hear more about DVD store exclusive bonus discs, please pass it along. I know you're "in the know".
Old 08-11-07, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Can anyone else please chime in about the transfer from the Collector's Edition of Close Encounters, because I'm leaning towards keeping the one that I have if the bonus features play out the way people are speculating?

The review here has the video transfer rated at 4 1/2 stars. That's pretty darn good and better than a lot of brand new films being reviewed daily.

Short of a great HD transfer, can the standard edition really be much better than the one that is already out? I mean even if it goes from 4 1/2 stars to a perfect 5, only the best of eyes will notice that.
This movie CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and THE GODFATHER are the only 2 movies that have mixed reviews on dvd. When each set came out the review places like HTF gave the transfers good review, but many consumers who bought the dvds complained about the transfers. I too found the CEOT3K transfer grainy & brownish looking. I even watched it on a different player & t.v. and it looked not too good. And if SONY video thought the transfer was good they would have released it on Super-bit years ago. So on that that tells me it's a bad transfer.
Old 08-11-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This set better be good--after hearing the announcement, I just sold an unopened copy of the 2 disc collectors edition (OOP?).
Old 11-06-07, 10:31 PM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Am I the only one excited about this release? I thought there would be a huge thread by now.

I'm looking forward to finally getting rid of my old Pan and Scan CETK: Special Edition VHS.

By the way, does anyone know what extra stuff will be on the BluRay that's not on the regular DVD set?
Old 11-06-07, 10:40 PM
Banned

I would be excited but it doesnt appear to have a heck of a lot of new material. So since i have the 2-disk collector's edition I wont be upgrading..
Would like to see some reviews for this though.
Old 11-06-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the existing thread on it:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ght=encounters
Old 11-07-07, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
This movie CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and THE GODFATHER are the only 2 movies that have mixed reviews on dvd. When each set came out the review places like HTF gave the transfers good review, but many consumers who bought the dvds complained about the transfers. I too found the CEOT3K transfer grainy & brownish looking. I even watched it on a different player & t.v. and it looked not too good. And if SONY video thought the transfer was good they would have released it on Super-bit years ago. So on that that tells me it's a bad transfer.
I must admit, I'm not the one for detailed analysis on transfers, but the HDNet Movies airing of CE3K was impressive in my book.

As for the extra's issues, it seems like a number of supplements have been exclusive to different video versions, the number of still pics in gallery form seemed far more extensive on the Criterion laserdisc version. Columbia/Sony held out and made the current SE contain deleted scenes not made privey for Criterions' release, exclusive for that version. I'm really curious to see what's going to appear in the new SE.

Widespread Review was supposed to have a gotten and reviewed the Bluray disc edition, but that doesn't seem to be up on their website.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.