DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola) SE --> 10/2/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/507215-bram-stokers-dracula-coppola-se-10-2-07-a.html)

Yavin 07-26-07 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...s-dracula.html

The two-disc special edition will include a newly remastered anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track.

Extras will include a video introduction by Francis Ford Coppola, an audio commentary by Coppola, a documentary, deleted scenes, the trailer, and more.

Bah, from that article it looks like the artwork that is shown on DVDEmpire is the actual DVD artwork. I hope they revise it, but they probably won't improve it much if they do. Looks like we're stuck with it.

GreenVulture 07-26-07 03:25 PM

OK, fine: I'll be the dissenter. Yes, the cover is mind-bogglingly odd, but I kind of like it.

richard1.1 07-26-07 04:28 PM

I loved the criterion laserdisc cover, shame they can't/won't use that one.

LorenzoL 07-26-07 05:04 PM

I don't think is the worst cover art that I ever seen but is definitely one of the weirdest. I don't know what they were going with this.

I won't get rid of my Superbit version.

Zen Peckinpah 07-26-07 05:06 PM

I love the font, that's for sure...the cover looks like an H.R. Giger painting.

ReduxGuy 07-26-07 06:01 PM

I guess this means I'll be keeping the Superbit Edition, which is a shame considering that Dracula is a film that should ALWAYS be seen in DTS.

dadaluholla 07-26-07 06:08 PM

Wow, I really love that cover. It's bizarre, but the armor is so COOL looking. Glad I never got around to buying this before. Yay.
:)

ReduxGuy 07-26-07 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Wow, I really love that cover. It's bizarre, but the armor is so COOL looking. Glad I never got around to buying this before. Yay.
:)

If you have a 5.1 system, I suggest changing your mind quickly, running out, and getting the Superbit version. You will NEVER hear Dracula as sexual or terrifying like that EVER.

Dane Marvin 07-26-07 07:05 PM

Weird-ass cover! Definitely not what I was expecting.

cranberries fan 07-26-07 11:20 PM

People around my area have been dumping there superbit's of Dracula what fools.
I will get this when It comes-out, man this is one of the greatest years for DvD's in long time.

TRC 07-27-07 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
OK, fine: I'll be the dissenter. Yes, the cover is mind-bogglingly odd, but I kind of like it.

I agree. I mean it's certainly bizarre but strangely enough I still like it.

Davy Mack 07-27-07 05:03 AM

I think the cover rocks!

That "dog" as some of the clueless nimrods on DVDactive call it is his suit of armor for the beginning. Very stylish. The shot of Dracula recoiling is when Harker's shaving mirror breaks.

Davy Mack 07-27-07 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
I guess this means I'll be keeping the Superbit Edition, which is a shame considering that Dracula is a film that should ALWAYS be seen in DTS.

Get the BD, it will have PCM. Should SMOKE the DTS track.

bookcase3 07-27-07 08:17 AM

I love, love, love the cover art. It's classic and stylish, which is rare these days.

rexinnih 07-27-07 08:54 AM

Love that cover! Hope the BD is the same.

Geofferson 07-27-07 09:26 AM

Fantastic cover! :up:

Josh Z 07-27-07 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I love the font, that's for sure..

The font is the same one used in the movie's opening credits.

indiansbsa 07-27-07 11:22 AM

The worst cover art ever is, in my opinion, the Jurassic Park DVD.

I still don't know why the heck they couldn't have just used the classic JP logo on black on that one.

As for this cover, Im kind of ambivalent. The cool armor and font vs. the terrible drac. If it had been Drac smiling and clasping his hands together with the font and the armor it might have been just flat out awesome but this pic just brings down the potential sweetness of the design to just average.

baracine 07-27-07 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Get the BD, it will have PCM. Should SMOKE the DTS track.

PCM is not a multi-channel format. The expression is sometimes used to mean uncompressed stereo signals (two streams of PCM). DTS is an uncompressed multi-channel format and, by far, the superior one.

Goldblum 07-27-07 12:57 PM

Any word on whether this will be a director's cut? Or just deleted scenes?

Davy Mack 07-27-07 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
PCM is not a multi-channel format. The expression is sometimes used to mean uncompressed stereo signals (two streams of PCM). DTS is an uncompressed multi-channel format and, by far, the superior one.

ummm, huh...?!?!

There is a new 5.1 PCM track on the BD.

Product Information
Video:
Widescreen 1.85:1 Color
Audio:

ENGLISH: PCM 5.1 ......

DTS is an "UNCOMPRESSED" format..? Regular DTS..?
Which the 1.5 mps or the 768 mps track...
Do you know what you're talking about?

baracine 07-27-07 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
ummm, huh...?!?!

There is a new 5.1 PCM track on the BD.

Product Information
Video:
Widescreen 1.85:1 Color
Audio:

ENGLISH: PCM 5.1 ......

DTS is an "UNCOMPRESSED" format..? Regular DTS..?
Which the 1.5 mps or the 768 mps track...
Do you know what you're talking about?

Sorry, but you didn't mention 5.1 PCM, just PCM.

Support for multiple sound channels Not applicable; LPCM encodes a single channel of sound. Stereo and two-channel audio is supported by interleaving two LPCM streams; see AES3. Formats like AES31 and MXF (and others) provide a means for bundling and synchronizing multiple LPCM bitstreams.
(From: http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/f...dd000011.shtml )

tylergfoster 07-27-07 04:52 PM

Even if the font is from the movie it's a bit weird. I think they should have used the logo they've been using for some time for the title and restricted the font to the rest of the text.

Dr. Mantle 07-27-07 05:21 PM

I've got to sat WTF to all the people complaining about the cover(especially all those crankypants at DVDActive). It IS really weird, but that's what makes it so freakin' awesome! Has there ever been a DVD cover that was anything like this? Would you prefer a bunch of giant heads?

Dracula, instead of looking inviting or dangerous as he usually does in so many other movies, is recoiling from the horrors of his own soul.

I think the movie is decent, but not one of my favorites.

But that cover art is so :jawdrop: I have to buy it.

chris_sc77 07-27-07 05:27 PM

It remeinds me of a Criterion cover which is a good thing.