DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola) SE --> 10/2/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/507215-bram-stokers-dracula-coppola-se-10-2-07-a.html)

TylerDurden_73 10-26-07 01:04 PM

Watched mine yesterday...saw no problems with it as others of you have. The Transfer is much improved over the superbit.

crs 10-26-07 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bloomcounty
A few other people have reported this issue too here, but not too many. I'm guessing that some players react to the defective disc in this way, while most just show pixelation. IMO, the people who say they have no problems at all just aren't noticing the pixelation for some reason (unless there's just a huge batch of bad discs instead of all of them being bad -- but I'm doubting this at this point). Either way, the studio really should step up and replace these defective discs. Fingers crossed! :)

I almost forgot about it, but today I took the Dracula movie disc and scanned it on my computer. There's a bunch of unreadable sectors here and there on the disc, no doubt part of some sort of copy protection from Sony. While this is the source of the problems I don't know, but I thought you'd like to know. I checked some other Sony discs too, like the Spider-Man 3 movie disc, and they had unreadable sectors too. However, Dracula is the only one I've had problems with, so who knows.

Carcosa 10-27-07 10:45 AM

Now that things have calmed a bit, seems like most of the newer posts prefer the new transfer. I am going to pick up the Super Bit disc tommorow and check them both out myself and see whats up.

dvd_freak 10-30-07 08:27 AM

Sent an email to Sony Pictures customer support regarding the pixelation issue. They are going to replace my copy but doesn't look like they really know what the issue is. Will take 6-8 weeks to get a replacement (after I send my copy). Will see what happens.

bloomcounty 10-31-07 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by dvd_freak
Sent an email to Sony Pictures customer support regarding the pixelation issue. They are going to replace my copy but doesn't look like they really know what the issue is. Will take 6-8 weeks to get a replacement (after I send my copy). Will see what happens.

It certainly can't hurt, but isn't that basically the same as bringing it back to the store and getting another copy? (Which I did and the replacement has the same issues, of course...)

Why does it take 6-8 weeks?! Are they actually doing another pressing?

What is the email address? Maybe everyone who has an issue should email them to tell them they have the issue and ask about a new "fixed" pressing (instead of just getting a replacement copy sent that has the same issue).

Or, better yet, what about getting a phone number so we can all start calling to report the issue and trying to get them to do another actual pressing that fixes the issue?

Any thoughts/help?

Thanks!

RD1973 11-02-07 02:17 AM

What is that e-mail address? Also, do they acknowledge that there's a problem or are they just going to send you a different copy of the same disc?

dvd_freak 11-02-07 07:32 AM

The email address is: Sony Pictures. I could not find a phone number to contact them.

They have not acknowledged the problem. I guess they are treating this as a regular replacement for a 'defective' product, which means they will replace my copy. I don't think they know what the real issue is, if more people start complaining they might investigate.

RD1973 11-03-07 02:00 AM

The email address is: Sony Pictures. I could not find a phone number to contact them.

They have not acknowledged the problem. I guess they are treating this as a regular replacement for a 'defective' product, which means they will replace my copy. I don't think they know what the real issue is, if more people start complaining they might investigate.

I'm going to e-mail them about the problem. But I don't think I'm going to send mine back just to get the same thing 8 weeks from now.

bloomcounty 11-06-07 10:40 AM

I also emailed, but expressed that many people are having the issue, that it seems to be on all discs, and that many people have posted about it on this forum. I got back a different response:

Dear Valued Consumer:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

In order for the SPHE to troubleshoot your issue further please send us the following:

1. The DVD in its original DVD case
2. A copy of this entire e-mail string describing the issue
3. The make and model of your DVD player.

Our Quality Control Department will evaluate the product and will advise you of the findings.

Please send the disc to the following address:

SPHE Consumer Support
PO Box 157
Neenah, WI 54957
Attn: xxxxxxx (Case #, I think...)

Please note that Company Policy does not include reimbursement for shipment of product to our Quality Control department for testing. However, SPHE will ship the product back at our cost after testing is complete. Please allow 3-5 weeks for the DVD to be sent back to you.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

SPHE Consumer Affairs Team 5

I replied back that looking at my disc will be no different than looking at a disc they already have, as all discs have the issue (and that it made no sense to send my disc back and wait 3-5 weeks to hear something, when they can "test" their own copy there).

So now, at least, they are listening... (sort of). So we really need to present this issue in full-force now.

Everybody should email that address listed further above and state that they have this issue, that it's a widespread issue on all discs, and that Sony needs to fix the issue and press new replacement discs! The only way we can get this done is if we all email them and they can see it's widespread and needs to be addressed.

Can you all help out by doing this? Thanks! :)

chris_sc77 11-06-07 11:31 AM

^No thanks....I could not notice any problem and if i cant notice it then I don't care.

bloomcounty 11-06-07 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^No thanks....I could not notice any problem and if i cant notice it then I don't care.

Not sure why you bothered to post that (since you don't care), but, of course, just because you don't notice it, doesn't mean it isn't there (as proved by others saying they didn't notice it until they went back and looked -- Yoda saying that he slow-mo'd it and saw it, then couldn't help noticing it at normal speed after that).

The problem exists, and if anybody here is interested in having an actual non-pixilated replacement made by Sony, it's imperative that you email them asap at that email address and tell them you're experiencing the same issue. The more complaints they get, the more they'll realize it's an issue they need to address and fix.

Thanks! :)

RD1973 11-06-07 10:24 PM

I just sent Sony an e-mail. Let's see what happens.

Giles 11-07-07 09:07 AM

I know I've expressed my disgust on this topic before, but has there been any reasoning why the original subtitles were changed for this new version? I was watching some of the film on my new PS3 in HiDef last night and they are quite frankly awful. Really, whose boneheaded decission was that?

baracine 11-07-07 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
I know I've expressed my disgust on this topic before, but has there been any reasoning why the original subtitles were changed for this new version? I was watching some of the film on my new PS3 in HiDef last night and they are quite frankly awful. Really, whose boneheaded decission was that?

If you ask me - and no one did, I'm sure ... This is just one more instance of the transfer having been subcontracted to some idiot nose-picking nerd who promised to do it for $12 less. There is absolutely no justification for this change and it is just one more proof of the shabbiness exhibited in the whole transfer/DVD authoring process.

This DVD is evil... E-VIIILLL!!!

GreenVulture 11-07-07 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Giles

I think one of the reasons was because player-generated subs make it easier for DVD producers to translate the dialogue into any language. I think someone on AVS mentioned that that was the main reason, and that it's something you'll be seeing often in the future.

Originally Posted by baracine
If you ask me - and no one did, I'm sure ... This is just one more instance of the transfer having been subcontracted to some idiot nose-picking nerd who promised to do it for $12 less. There is absolutely no justification for this change and it is just one more proof of the shabbiness exhibited in the whole transfer/DVD authoring process.

Coppola subcontracted it out to his own DVD production facility here in the Bay Area, which has done many acclaimed discs (including several Criterions):
http://www.zap-sf.com/Files/Htmlandflash/TandP.htm

baracine 11-07-07 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I think one of the reasons was because player-generated subs make it easier for DVD producers to translate the dialogue into any language. I think someone on AVS mentioned that that was the main reason, and that it's something you'll be seeing often in the future.

Coppola subcontracted it out to his own DVD production facility here in the Bay Area, which has done many acclaimed discs (including several Criterions):
http://www.zap-sf.com/Files/Htmlandflash/TandP.htm

You're ignoring the fact that these subtitles ARE PART OF THE SHOW. They were chosen carefully and personally by Francis Ford Coppola to reflect the epistolary nature of this late XIXth Century novel and to reference Mina's typewriter, two things he waxes poetic about in the book he wrote on the subject. The fact that they were laid aside because it was "easier" to do so is just one more proof (as if any were needed) that the transfer was made without Coppola's participation by people who 1. don't know the film, 2. don't love the film and 3. don't even care about the film.

But you are right about one thing, though:

it's something you'll be seeing often in the future

GreenVulture 11-07-07 05:13 PM

You're ignoring the fact that these subtitles ARE PART OF THE SHOW. They were chosen carefully and personally by Francis Ford Coppola to reflect the epistolary nature of this late XIXth Century novel and to reference Mina's typewriter, two things he waxes poetic about in the book he wrote on the subject. The fact that they were laid aside because it was "easier" to do so is just one more proof (as if any were needed) that the transfer was made without Coppola's participation by people who 1. don't know the film, 2. don't love the film and 3. don't even care about the film.

But you are right about one thing, though:

What are you bitching to me for? Nowhere did I say that I applaud this player-generated sub decision, but I can live with it. Go take it up with Sony if it bothers you that much.

RD1973 11-07-07 05:35 PM

I also emailed, but expressed that many people are having the issue, that it seems to be on all discs, and that many people have posted about it on this forum. I got back a different response:

I replied back that looking at my disc will be no different than looking at a disc they already have, as all discs have the issue (and that it made no sense to send my disc back and wait 3-5 weeks to hear something, when they can "test" their own copy there).

So now, at least, they are listening... (sort of). So we really need to present this issue in full-force now.

Everybody should email that address listed further above and state that they have this issue, that it's a widespread issue on all discs, and that Sony needs to fix the issue and press new replacement discs! The only way we can get this done is if we all email them and they can see it's widespread and needs to be addressed.

Can you all help out by doing this? Thanks! :)

I got the same response today. But I'm not sending mine in. I get the feeling that 3 to 5 weeks after sending it in, they will just e-mail me saying its my player that's messed up.

Josh Z 11-07-07 07:33 PM

The fact that they were laid aside because it was "easier" to do so is just one more proof (as if any were needed) that the transfer was made without Coppola's participation by people who 1. don't know the film, 2. don't love the film and 3. don't even care about the film.

Honestly, I doubt Coppola cares about his older films anymore. He'd rather be off making wine.

bloomcounty 11-07-07 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by RD1973
I got the same response today. But I'm not sending mine in. I get the feeling that 3 to 5 weeks after sending it in, they will just e-mail me saying its my player that's messed up.

No -- don't send anything in. They need to see that a lot of people are bothered by this issue. I got this response on Tuesday after I told them that sending mine in served no purpose as all discs are defective in the same way and that they should look at the start of Chpt. 19 as a good example:

We are in the process of evaluating your inquiry. Thank you for your patience as we review this concern. We will reply shortly.

Haven't heard back yet... I'll give it until the end of the week and email them again... Maybe they're actually looking into it!

So it's imperative that everyone who cares about getting a non-defective disc email them and tell them about the issue! Thanks!

RD1973 11-08-07 10:59 PM

No -- don't send anything in. They need to see that a lot of people are bothered by this issue. I got this response on Tuesday after I told them that sending mine in served no purpose as all discs are defective in the same way and that they should look at the start of Chpt. 19 as a good example:

We are in the process of evaluating your inquiry. Thank you for your patience as we review this concern. We will reply shortly.

Haven't heard back yet... I'll give it until the end of the week and email them again... Maybe they're actually looking into it!

So it's imperative that everyone who cares about getting a non-defective disc email them and tell them about the issue! Thanks!

I sent them a second email detailing the problem more specifically and I got the exact same "canned" reply. Not very promising.

Damone 11-10-07 07:22 PM

Sent email and got generic, robotic response, and no i'm not going to send them my dvd

RD1973 11-13-07 01:30 AM

Does anyone have a phone # for Sony? The email address was a dead end.

C_Fletch 11-13-07 01:58 AM

I guess I won't be buying this title unless I hear some new info.

dvd_freak 11-13-07 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by RD1973
Does anyone have a phone # for Sony? The email address was a dead end.

How about calling Coppola? 888.COPPOLA.