Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Price Drop on Twilight Zone Definitive sets?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Twilight Zone sets have had a recent price drop (I think...ive been watching these sets carefully) of $69.99 and no online retailer seems to have updated their site with the correct pricing.
The only one Ive seen is Deepdiscount. Here is an email ive sent to Amazon, Barnes and Nobles and overstock to see if I get a response

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking through your DVD listings of the Definitive Twilight Zone
Collection sets and noticed that the list price of the DVD sets have
been incorrectly labeled with a list price of $99.99.

I have searched on the manufacturers site and these sets have been
listed as having an SRP/list price of only $69.99

Here are links to the sets directly from the manufacturers webpage.

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=28786
---Definitive Collection 1

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=28787
---Definitive Collection 2

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=28782
---Definitive Collection 3

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=28783
---Definitive Collection 4

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=28781
---Definitive Collection 5

I was wondering when and if you would change the prices listed on your
site to the correct listings as on the manufacturers site. If you were
to change the prices on these sets to match the manufacturers suggested
retail price, I would most likely buy it.

Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im thinking about emailing other companies as well about this price drop...as ive been waiting on a good price on these sets for a while (don't want the complete set of definitive as I heard the cases weren't great)

EDIT: So sorry for the double thread post, computer acted up before. Please delete the other thread.

Last edited by TheJoker; 07-20-07 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-20-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Considering that the complete set can be had for $170, that you would pay $350 (more than double the price) for the sets individually, and that the content is the same... you'd be better off with the complete set than to pay $180 more than you needed to just for packaging.

It's true that the cases are not spectacular in the complete set, but they're not THAT bad.
Old 07-20-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ If you're going to go by the discounted prices for the complete set and say it can be had for $170, you should by all rights use the discounted prices when totaling up the cost of the individual sets as well. So it would be more like $230 (not $350) at DD to buy all the sets indivdually. Also, you have to remember some people already bought 2 or 3 of these puppies before the complete set came out. So they would still pay less to complete their set with individual sets than they would to buy the complete set and have a few extra TZ discs lying around. I personally would hold onto the season 1 set that included the TZ Episode Guide in-box if I hadn't already sold all my TZ discs long ago!

Someday the complete set will be mine though...
Old 07-20-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
great news! I pre-ordered S1 and 2 way back, and I've wanted to pick up a couple more during the last few DDD sales, but I always held back.
With the price of the complete set during the sale, I was tempted to order that and sell off the individual sets...but I just don't dig that packaging.
I'm very glad I waited now.

the only other thing giving me pause, was that these will be one of Images first HD releases- but in this case at least, the sd sets look just fine, and with the price drop, the better value is sure to be in these sd sets.
Old 07-21-07, 11:26 AM

Well, got back Emails from almost all the companies I sent them too.

BestBuy cant change it. Barnes and Noble cant change it. Amazon cant change it. But overstock emailed me that said they sent my email to the people that could change it. So I have some hope set in for overstock.
Old 07-21-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sets at DD are listed with a release date of 7/31. You might want to check the other stores after that date and see if the price drop has taken effect then.
Old 07-21-07, 02:20 PM

For BN, the price-drop, I believe, is automatic, when it actually takes place. I was once in there buying some DVD's and when checking out the guy at the register mentioned that a price-drop had occurred (looking at the screen, which may have told him) and I was getting the cheaper price.

So I think they have it all computerized and will not happen or manually overridden until the correct price-drop date.

For those other stores, you will probably have to wait until 7/31. Now many you could buy on Amazon and get a refund as they will refund if the price is less within 30-days IIRC. You just have to tell them.
Old 07-21-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
^ If you're going to go by the discounted prices for the complete set and say it can be had for $170, you should by all rights use the discounted prices when totaling up the cost of the individual sets as well. So it would be more like $230 (not $350) at DD to buy all the sets indivdually. Also, you have to remember some people already bought 2 or 3 of these puppies before the complete set came out. So they would still pay less to complete their set with individual sets than they would to buy the complete set and have a few extra TZ discs lying around.
I was only going by the prices the OP listed, which were $69.99 each and seemed to be the price he was trying to get the sets for. I didn't look them up to see if they were cheaper as I assumed the OP had already done so since he was going through the trouble of emailing online retailers to ask about reducing prices to $69.99.

I further assumed he wanted to buy all 5, since his post implies as much, and was not commenting based on other people who already own other sets, but only in regards to the OP buying all 5.

Oh well.

Last edited by Living Dead; 07-21-07 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Hmm..they are 46.89 at DDD. Still, that's a total of 234.45, vs. the Complete's price (also at DDD) of 169.88. I can see paying a little more for 'security', but ~65 bucks is not "a little more" to me. If you only have one or two seasons, you might still be better off pricewise buying the complete and selling your seasons--looks like DVDPLanet is paying about 30 bucks each for them.
How are the individual seasons packaged? Are the season cases different, or is the only difference the external box?
Old 07-21-07, 04:36 PM

Didn't one of the individual sets also have a booklet not in the complete collection?
Old 07-21-07, 04:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
Didn't one of the individual sets also have a booklet not in the complete collection?
Some copies of season 1 included a full book. Details earlier in the definitive TZ thread.