Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official GRINDHOUSE Page (Death Proof - 9/18; Planet Terror - 10/16)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official GRINDHOUSE Page (Death Proof - 9/18; Planet Terror - 10/16)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing about Grindhouse is these films were made for the experience, so why isn't the experience carried over onto DVD? That was the point of the whole package in the first place, and with DVD double features going crazy, it makes no sense.
Old 07-04-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
Your theory on that other 1% is 100% wrong. If GRINDHOUSE had been a big theatrical success, we'd definitely be seeing the complete "GRINDHOUSE" dvd right now, no question whatsoever. Practically every major theatrical film gets a DVD release to cash in on its title and all that original theatrical marketing exposure. GRINDHOUSE was a theatrical bomb so the distributor decides to cut it up for US DVD and hope that works better to recoup all the lost revenue via separate releases - THAT's the "shameless cash-in"! Why you keep harping on only having separate film releases on DVD because only you want it that way is getting very old and very dull. Obviously the majority of fans want the theatrical experience on DVD. Some do want the separate releases as well. You know, we can have both. So why do you keep preaching about GRINDHOUSE not being what was intended or preferred? Tarantino and Rodriguez conceived and made this double-film ONLY as "GRINDHOUSE" - neither PT or DP would ever have even been created except for the complete GRINDHOUSE concept. How many times does this need to be discussed? Geez! Can we merge all these threads so this doesn't have to be debated all over again ad nauseum until the end of the next decade? This is getting really old.
Just like in the other thread, PRIOR to the release, on the Opie and Anthony show, Rodriguez stated that the films were intended for separate releases on DVD. The double-feature was an experience intended for THEATERS. Like a REAL grindhouse film, the same thing does not translate to DVD -- otherwise they wouldn't romanticize every stuttering frame, every scratchy sound effect and bad cut, faux trailers, theater advertisements, plus missing reels -- things that generally do not happen to a movie when you watch it at home. Plus, even if Rodriguez didn't make this statement, do you really think that the Weinsteins wouldn't have done it anyway? And, furthermore, why would the directors fully endorse these DVD releases now if they wanted you to see the film as one piece? None of these elements add up. What it seems to me is this: What I had heard the original plan was was to release first the film, essentially the theatrical experience, in two separate pieces, and then later do the full blown, still separate director's cuts -- sensibly, it seems, in order to make sure everyone buys this release and doesn't wait, the Weinsteins have opted for the full-blown, deluxe version first, to entice the collectors and get real money plunking down for the sets. If this is SOLELY a cash-in, Tarantino and Rodriguez, like they usually do with their DVDs, hold off on the extras until the "director approved" versions with all of their bonus features. Why not release a cheaper single-disc (as opposed to TWO two-disc sets) with the entire 3 1/2 hour version and no bonus features and then give us these versions later? Doesn't that seem like it would make more money while saving the Weinsteins dough on a flick they lost money on? If this is a cash-in, the Weinsteins are worse businessmen than I realized...

Last edited by tylergfoster; 07-04-07 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Id rather have it seperate as they are doing. probably watch DP more than PT anyways.
Old 07-05-07, 01:14 AM

I was hoping for the theatrical experience on DVD as well. But oh well..

*hopes for a store-exclusive box to hold both, like with Kill Bill at Best Buy*
Old 07-05-07, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing people are missing when they use old double features as an example. The older films were never intended to be double feature flicks. The distrubutors were the ones that decided what films would play with what.

That doesn't work in this movies case. Since it was conceived as Grindhouse,not 'Planet Terror' and "Death Proof". It was a hey "Let's make a fun double feature flick! You tell your own story,I'll tell mine and they'll be shown together like the good old days complete with fake trailers and ads!".

Originally they were talking about making each film in the 70 minute range. But of course that ballooned out of control with over indulgance. So the films wound up longer than intended. I'm sure if the films were each 70 minutes. Then "Grindhouse" and not two separate releases would come to dvd.

And if the movies were never intended to be seen together expect for in theaters. Then there would be no Grindhouse opening title sequence which says "A Tarantino/Rogriguez double feature". And no combined Grindhouse end credits which run credits for both movies,trailers and ads.

If it were a real true legit two movies just playing together on a double bill. Then there would be no Grindhouse opening and end credits. You would open with Planet Terror credits,then Death Proof credits.

Since a real double feature just takes the reels of the actual films and plays them after each other. They don't go and make a "Grindhouse" or some 'double feature' credit sequence to introduce the features.

So yes, Grindhouse itself is actually one full massive epic film. Where the fake trailers, opening and ending titles,and ads are all part of the film itself.

It's not 'bad' that they were thinking of releasing longer cuts of the movies separately. But it's a shame if they never release the real theatrical original version on dvd. You can say the fake scratches and missing reels won't 'work' on dvd. But,it's still apart of the film and part of the fun of watching it. So i'm sure most people would still enjoy the film(s) that way.

Speaking of fake scratches and missing footage not 'working' on dvd. Cannibal Holocaust is a great example of this. The 'found footage' angle works beautifully in theaters. Where when the footage cuts to black loaded with excessive scratches as footage is missing. You actually think for a moment that the film print has burned to pieces and broken down. Meanwhile on dvd when those moments come up. You know it's on a dvd and dvds can't 'burn reels'. So it's not as effective, but still apart of the film and a nice touch. I wouldn't want them to take those bits out of the dvd because it doen't 'work' as much as it does when viewing it on a film print in theaters.

And I must say I loved the look of Planet Terror in theaters and do not want a 'cleaned up' version of the film. It just won't be the same then and probably look faker than ever before. Especially with it being shot on video. At least I got a fake sense of it being 'film' in theaters and a nice raw gritty image is nice to see once in awhile. Since most movies look too pristine for their own good in some cases,and that style gets boring when everything looks a like today.
Old 07-05-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
Obviously the majority of fans want the theatrical experience on DVD.
That's a fallacy; obviously, the majority of people who are fans of both parts of 'Grindhouse' want that, but the majority of people who saw 'Grindhouse' only liked one part (though which part that was varies from person to person).

Some do want the separate releases as well. You know, we can have both.
I'm genuinely confused as to what the "Grindhouse" cut side is complaining about. If you buy both discs, you can recreate the theatrical experience more-or-less perfectly. If it suits you, you can surely download "Grindhouse" sleeve for a four-disc case and put them all together. So what's the problem?

Tarantino and Rodriguez conceived and made this double-film ONLY as "GRINDHOUSE" - neither PT or DP would ever have even been created except for the complete GRINDHOUSE concept.
Actually, Rodriguez wrote 'Planet Terror' years before they decided to do 'Grindhouse', he just never got around to making it until this.
Old 07-05-07, 10:11 AM

Here we go 'round in circles. Haha. I've answered all of these retorts prior. People can go read the other threads if they want. Have fun!
Old 07-05-07, 10:12 AM

I am so sick of this debate. As long as we get all the fake trailers, bumpers, and both features as they were shown in the theater, buy them both and recreate the experience. I'd rather get both cuts of Death Proof and great special features than worry about the fact that Grindhouse wasn't released as a whole. Though it sort of bothers me that the releases are a month apart...
Old 07-05-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmick
I am so sick of this debate. As long as we get all the fake trailers, bumpers, and both features as they were shown in the theater, buy them both and recreate the experience. I'd rather get both cuts of Death Proof and great special features than worry about the fact that Grindhouse wasn't released as a whole. Though it sort of bothers me that the releases are a month apart...
I totally agree on all counts:

I'm willing to play the theatrical versions of both releases back-to-back.
I'd like a cleaned-up, longer version of "Death Proof".
I wish there wasn't a month lag between them (or at the very least, I wish the far superior "Planet Terror" was being released first).

I guess the Weinstein$ realize that if they released the better film first, many people would just buy that one. And there is pretty much universal consensus that "Death Proof" sucks compared to the mighty "Planet Terror".
Old 07-05-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
No one seems to remember that the two movies were set in the same universe and shared some characters - the babysitters and the cops (Michael Parks). Just that alone means they have more of a connection than any other Grindhouse flick, except for sequels.
Old 07-05-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
These should be together as one package but I'm not going to spoil my enjoyment and not buy them because of that. I'll pick both of these up, if they release the whole damn thing eventually, I'll buy that too.
Old 07-05-07, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Peep
...there is pretty much universal consensus that "Death Proof" sucks compared to the mighty "Planet Terror".
NOT!
Old 07-05-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
And there is pretty much universal consensus that "Death Proof" sucks compared to the mighty "Planet Terror".
I think the only universal consensus is that there is no universal consensus.
Old 07-05-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aintnosin
I think the only universal consensus is that there is no universal consensus.
definitely agree with this.

I think Planet Terror holds up better in the context of the whole Grindhouse experience, but I think Death Proof will hold up better as its own film.
Old 07-05-07, 02:01 PM

Regardless of studio motivation, I am holding off.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Grindhouse experience in the theater, but am tired of double dipping DVDs. This is a blatant example of pre-meditated dipping. Sure, they will release the features independently, a month apart no less. But come next spring, they will almost undoubtedly release a SE with 3 or 4 disk set. Each movie on a disk, 1 with the promos and 1 disk of 'new' extras.

If I'm wrong, then I'll be able to get the fall releases off of Amazon, even if they are used.
Old 07-05-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone that plans on buying GRINDHOUSE should NOT buy the seperate dvds!!! I refuse to bend over and let the Weinstein's shove their greedy stick up my a**. I will only buy the GRINDHOUSE I saw in theaters, ONE movie, not TWO! They can put as many special features as they want on a second disc, but the movie should remain intact as it was in theaters.
Old 07-05-07, 02:17 PM

I'll only be pissed if there is a unannounced double dip, but Rodriguez has been pretty dependable about not releasing superior SEs down the road, and stuffing his discs.

But again, where is the Sky Kids SE?
Old 07-05-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasnt the movie promoted as 2 for the price of 1? Not one film for the price of one? So i dont see any problems with 2 sets. I just hope its fully loaded and no double dip down the road.
Old 07-05-07, 03:36 PM
Banned

All i know is you have no reason to complain if you didnt see Grindhouse in theatres.
If these are 2-disk sets loaded with commentaries documentaries, etc. i will lovingly pick them up asap.
A release of the complete experience would be nice but maybe in a few years or something they wil release that...If not I know I'll be watching Death Proof More than PT anyways...
The thing that really has me curious is what the hell will happen to the trailers...?
Old 07-05-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm all over Death Proof. Would love to see the extended cut with the lapdance.
Old 07-05-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If they release it together, I will buy it. Otherwise, they can keep them. As much as I loved Planet Terror, I don't think I would spring for it seperate. It just seems so silly to me. I paid to see Grindhouse, that's the movie I want on dvd. Period.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-05-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 06:41 PM

I'll bet on all the trailers being on each DVD. As for splitting the features into separate releases, it's fine with me. I hated, hated! HATED!! DEATH PROOF. So much so that I walked out on DP the second time I saw GRINDHOUSE in the theater. Couldn't stand to sit through it again and I certainly don't want it in my DVD collection.
Old 07-05-07, 11:54 PM

Gee ... it looks like the DVDs (which ever format that they may come in... together... separate ... double disc etc etc etc) may come out before we down in Australia get to look at them !!!
Old 07-06-07, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
All i know is you have no reason to complain if you didnt see Grindhouse in theatres.
If it wouldn't have been booted from the theater after 3 weeks I would have seen it. I'm a huge Tarantino/Rodriguez fan and watched the SCREAM awards for the trailer that night. We're getting punished because it tanked.
Old 07-06-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rmick
I'll only be pissed if there is a unannounced double dip, but Rodriguez has been pretty dependable about not releasing superior SEs down the road, and stuffing his discs.
Sin City?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.