DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Official GRINDHOUSE Page (Death Proof - 9/18; Planet Terror - 10/16) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/505418-official-grindhouse-page-death-proof-9-18%3B-planet-terror-10-16-a.html)

ReduxGuy 07-04-07 03:01 AM

Official GRINDHOUSE Page (Death Proof - 9/18; Planet Terror - 10/16) (FEATURES/COVERS

I figured we should make an official page for the upcoming release(s) of Grindhouse that would be updated when news of bonus features would be announced.

So as of now:

BOTH FILMS WILL BE TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITIONS (http://www.hutchinsonleader.com/node/3300)

DEATH PROOF - 9/18

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...DeathProof.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1097/...e716fc9200.jpg

Quentin Tarantino's serial-killer homage to the old school car chase film, Death Proof will hit shelves with over 30 minutes of additional, never-before-seen footage including the maddening "missing reel" (containing the excised lapdance sequence) as well as a black and white segment in the film's second act. The DVD will hit on September 18, 2007 for a price of $29.95. Features will include:

- Stunts on Wheels: The Legendary Drivers of Death Proof
- Finding Quentin's Gals
- The Guys of Death Proof
- Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike
- Introducing Stunt Goddess Zoe Bell
- Quentin's Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke
- Quentin Tarantino Interviews Legendary Director Cirio H. Santiago
- Double Dare trailer
- International Poster Gallery
- Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailer
- Sneak Peeks – Planet Terror, 1408, Black Sheep, Feast
PLANET TERROR - 10/16

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1034/...acfe2c76c1.jpg http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1244/...4bee5a68f1.jpg

Meanwhile, the Robert Rodriguez zombie entry, Planet Terror, will attack with more footage, deleted scenes, a full commentary and the infamous missing reel. That disc will drop on October 16, 2007 for a price of $29.95 and it's features will include:

- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Robert Rodriguez
- Deleted Scenes
- Cooking School
- 10-Minute Film School
- The Stunts
- The Make-up and Effects
- The Badass Babes
- The Renegade Guys
- The Costumes
- The Production Design
- International Trailer

old-boo-radley 07-04-07 03:45 AM

Wait, so they're gonna release each film seperately even though they played in the theaters together? Errrrmm great.

I didn't see this, but didn't they show movie trailers in between the features?

Matthew Chmiel 07-04-07 04:06 AM

I have to wait a month to buy both titles? Fuck that shit. I'm out.

Giggles 07-04-07 05:22 AM

I guess we'll have to wait more than a month till they release them together like they were suposed to be -ohbfrank-
I got hopes for Japan or some other country release though

TomOpus 07-04-07 08:13 AM

I'm gonna wait on a decision until more details come out.

Zodiac_Speaking 07-04-07 09:25 AM

How are they gonna release the faux trailers?

Yavin 07-04-07 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking

Why, they'll be releasing a separate disc of just the faux trailers themselves in November, of course!

ignition 07-04-07 10:04 AM

I'll wait until the inevitable dual-release next year. You know it'll happen, what with the current streak of re-releases anyhow.

Dr. Forrester 07-04-07 10:05 AM

If . . . . you're . . . . .thinking . . . . . .of releasing . . . . .Death Proof. . . . and Planet Terror . . . . seperately . . . . DON'T!

While I wasn't the biggest fan of either film (last 45 minutes of Death Proof excluded), it was the experience of seeing "Grindhouse" at a midnight showing with the right kind of crowd that I really enjoyed. I may pick up Death Proof assuming the trailers are included.

G-Rex 07-04-07 10:13 AM

It was bad enough that they are releasing them separately on DVD. But now they are coming out a month apart?!? Seem like they would sell better if they released them on the same day and marketed them as the "Grindhouse" experience.

Jason 07-04-07 10:44 AM

Ahh, the joys of a vanity project run amok.

I'll just netflix these. Eventually.

tylergfoster 07-04-07 10:45 AM

Essentially the idea is that if you had gone to see a real grindhouse double feature, it's not like those movies were actually connected, it was just a couple of flicks the theater had picked and shoved together. So on DVD, you'll have to get the features separately (additionally it also sounds like the directors feel as if the "grindhouse" experience was designed for the theater only). As far as anyone knows there are no plans to sell the flick as one movie, so don't hold your breath.

In theaters the films each had a "Prevues of Coming Attractions" banner -- that's the "start" of both pictures, so Death Proof should get Werewolf Women, Don't and Thanksgiving while Planet Terror gets Machete.

man*machine 07-04-07 11:04 AM

Honestly, did we really need another GRINDHOUSE thread?
It's been discussed to death already, including the separate release plans, in at least these three threads:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=502760

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=500500

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497358

Do we have to go through this whole debate yet again? I guess so....

----

Anyway, if this is the "new" thread to discuss all of this all over again, then here we go!

I won't be too upset if both of these are 2-disc sets and one of the discs in each set has all the original opening titles/credits/bumpers/trailers and the proper film with all the scratches/jump-cuts, missing reels, etc. - so that you could put those two discs together and it will be the same exact chronology and experience as GRINDHOUSE was in the theater. I would also want those discs to include the original "GRINDHOUSE" title and "GRINDHOUSE" closing credits in the correct spots. Nothing modified. If that's the case, I don't mind that PLANET TERROR comes out a month later. At least you'll get GRINDHOUSE. And the other discs on each set can just be the cleaned up long versions of the films.

If these two-disc sets are anything else than that, I'm passing until the authentic GRINDHOUSE gets released, if ever.

cultshock 07-04-07 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119

In theaters the films each had a "Prevues of Coming Attractions" banner -- that's the "start" of both pictures, so Death Proof should get Werewolf Women, Don't and Thanksgiving while Planet Terror gets Machete.

Yep, that's how I've heard the trailers will be distributed on the discs. I already knew that these would be separate releases, but I'm surprised about the month difference between the release dates. Maybe Rodriguez needed more time to add special features to his disc?

Originally Posted by Giggles
I got hopes for Japan or some other country release though

Not sure how much chance there is of this, especially considering that the films were released separately in many countries. You can definitely leave Japan out for now, the films haven't even been released theatrically there yet (they will apparently get a theatrical release this fall, probably separately), so any kind of Japan DVD release will not likely happen until around Spring 2008.

maingon 07-04-07 11:23 AM

I hope they release down the road them together with the fake ads and trailers between movies, these movies wont be as much fun watching them apart. I don't think the movies would work as well either.

BuckNaked2k 07-04-07 11:41 AM

To steal shamelessly from another thread title in another forum:

"The Weinsteins Continue Their Reign of Terror....."

Cameron 07-04-07 12:43 PM

or a complete version on hd-dvd

IamLegend 07-04-07 02:36 PM

Plan-Skip these individual releases...Watch on Netflix...then also skip inevitable 2nd release of Double feature 2 disc and then
buy the 3rd release with extended unrated cuts and "tons of bonus features on 3rd disc. All on HD (Format Wat decided/won by then) :)

Bradleystp 07-04-07 02:57 PM

I really enjoyed the full movie in the theaters. The funny 'bumpers' (Coming Soon, the Panther rating cartoon, the fake trailers, bad editing, etc...)In that context, it was a lot of fun. But I will also admit that the movies were not "great". They were fun for what they were; crazy, badly done b-movies.

By releasing them seperately on DVD, it's like they think these were amazing movies that stand completely on their own. In my opinion, that isn't the case. They worked as one big event. I don't know if they will work as well seperated, and without the middle pieces.

Hopefully we will see the full theater version someday.

wm lopez 07-04-07 04:54 PM

Remember that thread that we have going about how the screen actors & writers union want to share on dvd profits?
Well, me thinks they are doing this split on the movie because they know PLANET TERROR is going to get more rentals & sales and the producers want those profit shares are to go to that crew.

Bluelitespecial 07-04-07 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking

I am guessing Machete will be with Planet Terror, and then the rest of the trailers will be with Death Proof. Is this thread really necessary, I mean do we even have official release dates for both movies.

tylergfoster 07-04-07 08:10 PM

I'm 99% sure it's just the filmmakers intentions to release them separately on DVD. If this is true then I would rather not see a "complete" release as then theoretically if it is their wishes to see the movie separated on DVD, the "complete" release would be the shameless cash-in.

Jason 07-04-07 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bradleystp
I really enjoyed the full movie in the theaters. The funny 'bumpers' (Coming Soon, the Panther rating cartoon, the fake trailers, bad editing, etc...)In that context, it was a lot of fun. But I will also admit that the movies were not "great". They were fun for what they were; crazy, badly done b-movies.

By releasing them seperately on DVD, it's like they think these were amazing movies that stand completely on their own. In my opinion, that isn't the case. They worked as one big event. I don't know if they will work as well seperated, and without the middle pieces.

Hopefully we will see the full theater version someday.

If anything, I'd like to see a slimmed down grindhouse cut, 2 hours or so long, with an emphasis on the action sequences (especially in Death Proof). That would be a better way to repackage this turkey than milking the public an extra $20 for 2 separate DVD releases just so they can get all the fake trailers (and the inevitable "unreleased" trailer with each film.)

man*machine 07-04-07 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I'm 99% sure it's just the filmmakers intentions to release them separately on DVD. If this is true then I would rather not see a "complete" release as then theoretically if it is their wishes to see the movie separated on DVD, the "complete" release would be the shameless cash-in.

Your theory on that other 1% is 100% wrong. If GRINDHOUSE had been a big theatrical success, we'd definitely be seeing the complete "GRINDHOUSE" dvd right now, no question whatsoever. Practically every major theatrical film gets a DVD release to cash in on its title and all that original theatrical marketing exposure. GRINDHOUSE was a theatrical bomb so the distributor decides to cut it up for US DVD and hope that works better to recoup all the lost revenue via separate releases - THAT's the "shameless cash-in"! Why you keep harping on only having separate film releases on DVD because only you want it that way is getting very old and very dull. Obviously the majority of fans want the theatrical experience on DVD. Some do want the separate releases as well. You know, we can have both. So why do you keep preaching about GRINDHOUSE not being what was intended or preferred? Tarantino and Rodriguez conceived and made this double-film ONLY as "GRINDHOUSE" - neither PT or DP would ever have even been created except for the complete GRINDHOUSE concept. How many times does this need to be discussed? Geez! Can we merge all these threads so this doesn't have to be debated all over again ad nauseum until the end of the next decade? This is getting really old.

mzupeman2 07-04-07 09:30 PM

I agree with man machine, but I do have to think of it this way:

The old Grindhouse films from back in the day, were two seperate films together played at once time for an experience, right? Were they also considered part of the same film back in the day? I would think not.

I would much MUCH rather have these films as part of a Grindhouse experience but whatever, I enjoyed them both enough to want them seperately anyways.