Reload this Page >

DIE HARD Live Free Or Die Hard: Rated R for DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-27-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Live Free Or Die Hard is rated R after all!!!

But only on DVD.

Many movies get an 'unrated' version on DVD nowadays, and the extra material usually ends up being character development. But in the case of Live Free or Die Hard, the DVD will at least partially deliver the film we wanted to see in the first place.

FDM has learned that FOX has already commissioned visual effects house Digital Dimension (who also worked on the film for theatrical release) to add digitally add blood into the bloodless action scenes we (or at least, I) will see in theaters when the movie is released on June 27th. Whether the profanity (test screenings have pointed out some obvious dubbing in a few scenes) will be restored remains unknown, but rest assured, those of you who like their Die Hard movies to be bloody (you know, like the first three, the ones we loved so much to want a fourth one in the first place?) might want to wait for DVD.

Ordinarily I abhor the "Wait for DVD" mentality as I truly love the theatergoing experience, but I will make a special exception in this case and actually ENCOURAGE it, as a means of revenge for fucking with my beloved franchise. They'll get my money (as will any BW film: I paid to see Whole Ten Yards, I'll certainly pay to see this) but unless you're a similarly obsessive compulsive schmuck like me, feel free to wait.

FREEZEDRIEDMOVIES.com
Old 06-27-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Sounds great to me. Glad they're not going the "Unrated" route too.
Old 06-28-07, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this going to become a trend?

instead of R-rated releases going UNRATED for DVD, now PG-13 releases are going R? they should've just started out with a R anyways. most studios make their money off the DVD releases correct? so what does it matter if the theatrical release is PG-13 if it was ultimately going to be R on DVD... /rant

thanks for the info!
Old 06-28-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Well, I don't know if this will be a trend or not. In this case, the die hard Die Hard fans will grab this. But IIRC, if a DVD is "unrated", you don't have to be 17 or older to buy it like an R-rated one, thus an Unrated one will make more money for the studio...
Old 06-28-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope it's not a trend, since basically all it will mean for me is I won't go see the movies in the theater.
Old 06-28-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was personally hoping for this, but I went and saw it tonight anyways (I got to see it for free too, so no biggie). The censoring of yippie-ki-yay muthafucka kinda ruined it for me...so hopefully they'll put that back in...cause it was definitely "there" but it was clearly drowned out by the action in the scene...
Old 06-28-07, 01:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
It probably will become a trend, it's all about making money and the studios have seen they can make money on "unrated" DVDs and release the movies PG-13 in the theater to make more money (i.e. Alien vs. Predator)

At least John Rambo (Rambo IV) will be R, as far as I know. The footage I've seen makes it a fucking R!
Old 06-28-07, 01:16 AM

the whole PG-13 v. R thing is also a bit weird to me too because of the recent success of movies like 40 yr. old virgin, sin city, 300, wedding crashers, the latter two each grossing $200 mil+ domestically. anyone know if there's any guesstimations about how much more the average PG-13 film makes over an R? i'm guessing around $50 million?
Old 06-28-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Monkees
It probably will become a trend, it's all about making money and the studios have seen they can make money on "unrated" DVDs and release the movies PG-13 in the theater to make more money (i.e. Alien vs. Predator)

At least John Rambo (Rambo IV) will be R, as far as I know. The footage I've seen makes it a fucking R!
That footage is damn near NC-17!
Old 06-28-07, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Die Hard 4 was definitely a cool movie, but would have been better if it hadn't been cut down. Considering what huge hits the other 3 were as R rated films, I guess I don't really understand the logic in what they did. If anything, it seems like they're keeping the hardcore fans away.
Old 06-28-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
is this going to become a trend?

instead of R-rated releases going UNRATED for DVD, now PG-13 releases are going R? they should've just started out with a R anyways. most studios make their money off the DVD releases correct? so what does it matter if the theatrical release is PG-13 if it was ultimately going to be R on DVD... /rant

thanks for the info!
We're already there. Especially with Fox. They released Daredevil and Alien vs. Predator in theaters as PG-13 and eventually offered up the R-rated cuts on DVD. Buena Vista also did the same with Pearl Harbor.

I just hope that A) Fox releases the R-rated version on Blu-ray, and B) they release it day-and-date with the regular DVD and don't make us wait 6 months to a year.
Old 06-28-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info. I wasnt planning on seeing this in theatres anyways, now im more than happy to wait for the DVD. I dont mind if this becomes a trend, I usually skip the theatre and wait for the DVD release anyways.
Old 06-28-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iam totally surprised by the amount of ppl who are like "omg there will be R rated version etc.."

this is NOT a new news.Bruce Willis himself said it in the AICN talkbacks that there will be a director's cut on DVD...plus, pretty much any movie by Fox these days have a new super duper extended unrated blah blah cut on DVD.
Old 06-28-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Digitally adding blood? I don't like the sound of that. I've seen digital blood and guts in flims and it's never ever looked convincing. If they had digitally REMOVED the blood to make it pg-13 and are simply restoring that, then rock on.
Old 06-28-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Who the heck wants digital blood? I think I'll stick with the PG-13 version, assuming it's an option.

I remember when we got the R-rated PEARL HARBOR on DVD and what a bloodfest that turned out to be...it was actually better without all the violence.
Old 06-28-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Digitally-added CGI blood?

I fail to see how that makes a movie "better"
Old 06-28-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Me neither, the script with the language alone should have warranted an R rating in a Die Hard film, adding more blood doesn't really make me thrilled. I wanted a good solid R rating for violence AND language.
Old 06-28-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Me neither, the script with the language alone should have warranted an R rating in a Die Hard film, adding more blood doesn't really make me thrilled. I wanted a good solid R rating for violence AND language.
Tits, don't forget the tits
Old 06-28-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Digitally-added tits
Old 06-28-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Digitally-added CGI blood?

I fail to see how that makes a movie "better"
The R rating itself makes the movie better, not the content!
Old 06-28-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I need a refresher on the "yippie-ki-yay" line from the third movie. I'm not sure if I remember when it was used. I seem to remember him saying "Say hello to your brother for me." So is Die Hard #4 the first time it was actually not said (or at least partially edited out)?
Old 06-28-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I pretty much wait till I see it at the pawn shop. Going to movies sucks and adding the fact that they have to dumb down the movie for the pg-13 crowd sickens me.

And this coming from one of the biggest Die Hard fans.
Old 06-28-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
I need a refresher on the "yippie-ki-yay" line from the third movie. I'm not sure if I remember when it was used. I seem to remember him saying "Say hello to your brother for me." So is Die Hard #4 the first time it was actually not said (or at least partially edited out)?
In the third movie I think it was said when he blows up the helicopter, isn't it? Apparently in the new movie it is said, but the "ucker" is drowned out by background noise.
Old 06-28-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like the DVD just to have MF added to it. NO need for blood. Cant have DH without the classic line.
Old 06-28-07, 12:38 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
There needs to be blood in a Die Hard movie. It's that simple.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.