Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Old 10-08-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
No WS, no sale.
i'm assuming you're joking here...
Old 10-08-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead
That does look great.
Looks like they pulled back the over-saturated colors...I still have VHS copies of the original pilot, and the colors seem to favor the more saturated look than the "earthier" look...although I do like the new look better, with the exception of the Roadhouse shot - looks like they took TOO much red out of those curtains.
Old 10-08-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
No WS, no sale.
On the off-chance that you're not being sarcastic, Twin Peaks was not photographed or composed for widescreen.
Old 10-08-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
On the off-chance that you're not being sarcastic, Twin Peaks was not photographed or composed for widescreen.
But then it won't fit my widescreen TV!
Old 10-08-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I NEED this set. The pilot screencaps look absolutely beautiful after the best quality you could get was unspeakably awful (even in its legit, Museum of Television & Radio version!), and it's basically confirmed that this is a "Gold Box" that will live up to its moniker.

I can't wait to show my friends this. I've been raving about the show for a few years now, and I already have one sold solely on the idea of the Log Lady.
Old 10-08-07, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
It's basically confirmed that this is a "Gold Box" that will live up to its moniker.
The set does look great, and I'd expect nothing less from Charles who did the most recent Gladiator release. I think the Log Lady Intros will be the only thing that looks a bit sub par, which is unfortunate, but if that's the only bad thing, how can I complain!?

I might even be in two of the featurettes! Not to brag or anything.
Old 10-08-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JLyon1515
I think the Log Lady Intros will be the only thing that looks a bit sub par, which is unfortunate, but if that's the only bad thing, how can I complain!?
There's not much that can be done about that. Those intros were shot on cruddy analog video.
Old 10-25-07, 05:18 PM

Doh, hmm, still on the fence, and it doesn't help that half of you go one way and the other half the other, heh. Maybe I'll just end up buying this and keeping the old S1 for the commentaries. That makes sense to me.
Old 10-25-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bitgod
Doh, hmm, still on the fence, and it doesn't help that half of you go one way and the other half the other, heh. Maybe I'll just end up buying this and keeping the old S1 for the commentaries. That makes sense to me.
I had originally thought that... but then back in August I was like "but if I sell the first season I'll make enough money to buy this box set as well as the "My So Called Life" DVD and have enough leftover for lunch"... and since I had previously listened to the commentaries, I just sold it... I'm glad I did.
Old 10-25-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's coming out next week. Are there any reviews yet?
Old 10-26-07, 07:46 AM

I didn't see this in the Best Buy ad.
Old 10-26-07, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
It's coming out next week. Are there any reviews yet?

Here is a short review with several pictures of the packaging. Unfortunately, the reviewer focuses primarily on the special features and at the end of the review notes, "I can't really say anything more about the quality of the video and audio, but I'm sure it looks like the Season 2 set."
Old 10-26-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
Here is a short review with several pictures of the packaging. Unfortunately, the reviewer focuses primarily on the special features and at the end of the review notes, "I can't really say anything more about the quality of the video and audio, but I'm sure it looks like the Season 2 set."
My big question is how the video and audio stack up against Artisan's Season 1 box set. That and are the "previously on Twin Peaks" segments included?
Old 10-26-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine shipped from DD on the 23rd, so I should get it soon.
Old 10-27-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good News: Episodes look and sound great, 30-minute interview segment with Lynch (and Kyle and Madchen) is fun, documentaries are well-made.

Bad News: No episode commentaries, no "previously on" or "next on" bumpers at beginning and end of shows.

I guess the really good news is that this doesn't feel like a double dip...no bonus features from previous editions were carried over, so fans who bought those season sets will have a reason to keep them.
Old 10-27-07, 03:44 PM

What bonus features are on discs 2-9? Disc 1 is the pilot. Disc 10 is bonus features. Disc 9 supposedly has some deleted scenes.

What bonus features and content will I be missing that isn't on the previous season sets if I just manage to get my hand on Discs 1 and 10?
Old 10-27-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but for a total newbie, what is the correct (or best?) way to go through this set?
Old 10-27-07, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but for a total newbie, what is the correct (or best?) way to go through this set?
Pilot --> Season 1 --> Season 2

Why would you watch it in any other order?
Old 10-27-07, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

Well. Let's be fair and assume he was asking because the film is a prequel and he may have read up on that.

So... as long as you watch the movie, Fire Walk With Me, last (even though it's a prequel) you'll be fine.

Enjoy
Old 10-27-07, 07:18 PM

Or maybe he had heard there were two cuts of the pilot on the disc. Do NOT watch the European cut until after viewing seasons 1 and 2.
Old 10-27-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info, guys; the different pilot versions and FWWM were indeed mostly what I was concerned with.
Old 10-27-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is probably a lame question, but as someone who has only seen Lynch's Mulholand Dr. (and loved it) would this series be in a similar style?

Also, I am a huge (HUGE) Lost fan. I've heard that Twin Peaks appeals to the same crowd. Is there any truth to that?

This would be a huge blind buy purchase but I'm seriously considering it. Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-07, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
This is probably a lame question, but as someone who has only seen Lynch's Mulholand Dr. (and loved it) would this series be in a similar style?

Also, I am a huge (HUGE) Lost fan. I've heard that Twin Peaks appeals to the same crowd. Is there any truth to that?

This would be a huge blind buy purchase but I'm seriously considering it. Any thoughts?
David Lynch repeats a lot of themes in his movies, and in Twin Peaks. You'll find a lot to love about Twin Peaks, frankly, if you also like Mulholland Drive. The offbeat, weird humor, the beautiful women, the bizarre, terrifying dream sequences, the innocence in the face of strange evil....It's all there and then some.

At the center of Twin Peaks is an amazing murder mystery with some supernatural elements. You'll be cheering our hero, FBI Agent Dale Cooper (played wonderfully by Kyle MacLauchlin) after one episode, and be chomping at the bit for more.

Is it like LOST? Yes, I suppose LOST would be Twin Peak's grandchild. It's a little more like X-FILES, with a soap opera satire twist. Think X-Files/Desperate Housewives/Lost, because all of these shows wouldn't exist without TWIN PEAKS.

It obsessed the world 17 years ago. I couldn't recommend a blind buy with any more enthusiasm to you. GET IT.
Old 10-27-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I pretty much hate Desperate Housewives but everything else you said makes me want to drool for the show. After all, I'm an X-Files fan as well. I'm going to buy this set as soon as I can afford it. Thanks!
Old 10-27-07, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
Well, I pretty much hate Desperate Housewives but everything else you said makes me want to drool for the show. After all, I'm an X-Files fan as well. I'm going to buy this set as soon as I can afford it. Thanks!
Heh. It's similar to Desperate Housewives in the sense that everything looks lovely on the surface, but there's some really nasty and compelling stuff going on underneath! I'm fairly sure that Marc Cherry is a big David Lynch fan, and saw Blue Velvet once or twice.

As a big X-FILES fan, you'll be happy to know that David Duchovny is in the 2nd season of Twin Peaks, playing....an FBI Agent! (With a twist!) Pretty sure Chris Carter was a fan as well!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.