Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks: The Definitive Gold Box Edition (The Complete Series)

Old 07-27-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a little more info from the comic con from dugpa.com:

Twin Peaks Definitive Gold Box Set Deleted Scenes Announced at Today's San Diego Comic Con

I've gotten word back from Warren Hayes, Dugpa.com reader and Toy Dealer from the Cargo Hold. Here is his report:

Spoiler:

The presentation on Twin Peaks lasted about 5-7 minutes tops. Charles de Lauzirika came out and addressed fans of Dugpa.com and the Twin Peaks Gazette and said their worries would be put to rest and that there would in fact be Deleted Scenes from Season 1 and 2 included in the upcoming Twin Peaks boxed set. He also mentioned that they went the extra mile to interview many people that were not interviewed before for either Twin Peaks box set. Some of the people I noticed that were interviewed which didn't apear on the Season 2 set were Sheryl Lee, Joan Chen, Ray Wise, David Lynch, and Angelo Badalamenti. They also said that both versions of the Pilot would be included as well. They showed some clips of people talking about the Twin Peaks phenomenon and Ray Wise said "I really hoped that I wouldn't turn out to b the killer." which got a big laugh. Another extra was a roundtable interview with Lynch, Madchen, and Kyle. All in all, I wish they spent more time on the box set but the Deleted Scenes being included was the absolute best news that I could have ever expected.

Last edited by nemein; 07-28-07 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-27-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Apocrypha
I don't know if its posted but at the Digital Bits panel in San Diego
we got confirmation of the following (besides the sick 5 disc Blade Runner set!)
that TP box set contains the following for sure
DELETED SCENES
BOTH PILOTS
LOG LADY INTROS
and an amazing roundtable discussion with David Lynch Kyle Mc, Madchen A. the clip was outstanding
start unloading those old versions this box is sick
i am glad i held off buying the S2 set now.
Old 07-28-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks nemein. I feel like an idiot.
Old 07-28-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This will be mine!
Old 07-28-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Apocrypha
I don't know if its posted but at the Digital Bits panel in San Diego
we got confirmation of the following (besides the sick 5 disc Blade Runner set!)
that TP box set contains the following for sure
DELETED SCENES
BOTH PILOTS
LOG LADY INTROS
and an amazing roundtable discussion with David Lynch Kyle Mc, Madchen A. the clip was outstanding
start unloading those old versions this box is sick
Well, it's official. I will own this...at least by the end of the year...
Old 07-29-07, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
This will be a blind-buy for me.
Me too... Love Lynch, but I've never had a chance to see Twin Peaks.
Old 07-29-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, sounds like I'll sell my pilot and S2 set, but I'm still keeping the original Artisan S1 set.
Old 07-29-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slowcloud
OK, sounds like I'll sell my pilot and S2 set, but I'm still keeping the original Artisan S1 set.
That'll be an interesting feat. Season 2 is worthless without season 1. Are there really that many people who own S1 who haven't yet picked up S2?

I'm going to sit tight on the pilot, Artisan S1, and S2 sets until this is definitive set is actually released and reviews come in about quality, framing, content, audio, etc. If everything checks out... no misframing, no reversed audio channels, no shortened episodes, etc. Then I will probably sell what I have as a package, or give it away.

But I don't see getting rid of S2 alone as being an easy thing.
Old 07-29-07, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by sracer
But I don't see getting rid of S2 alone as being an easy thing.
Has been selling for about $25 on ebay lately.
Old 07-29-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
That'll be an interesting feat. Season 2 is worthless without season 1. Are there really that many people who own S1 who haven't yet picked up S2?
Probably several 10s of thousands, at least. Of course, I'd sell them separately.
Old 08-02-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

TVshowsondvd.com has posted a press release which includes the disc breakdown:

Disc One:
# Pilot

Special Features: Log Lady Intro For Pilot International Version With Alternate Ending

Disc Two:
# Episodes 1-4

Special Features:
Log Lady Intros For Each Episode

Disc Three:
# Episodes 5-7

Special Features:

Disc Four:
# Episodes 8-10

Special Features:

Disc Five:
# Episodes 11-14

Special Features:

Disc Six:
# Episodes 15-18

Special Features:

Disc Seven:
# Episodes 19-21

Special Features:
# Log Lady Intros For Each Episode

Disc Eight:
# Episodes 23-26

Special Features:

Disc Nine:
# Episodes 27-29

Special Features:
Log Lady Intros For Each Episode Deleted Scenes (4 scenes) Production Documents

Disc Ten:

Special Features:

* A Slice of Lynch
* Northwest Passage: Creating The Pilot
* Freshly Squeezed: Creating Season 1
* Where We're From: Creating The Music
* Into The Night: Creating Season 2
* Saturday Night Live Featuring Kyle MacLachlan (Monologue and Twin Peaks Sketch)
* Return To Twin Peaks
* Interactive Map (8 Pods)
* "Falling" Music Video
* Georgia Coffee Commercials (5 Spots)
* Image Galleries
o The Richard Beymer Gallery Unit Photography
o Twin Peaks Trading Cards
* TV spots
o Premiere Spots (8 Spots)
o There's No Place Like Home Spot
o 1-900 Promo Ad
o T-Shirt Ad
o Holiday Greeting
o Patriot Greeting
Old 08-02-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[Smokey] DAAAAAAMN! [/Smokey]

Between this and Blade Runner, DVD is on a roll this year. Those commercials (seen some on YouTube) are great. And the SNL skits are a HUGE surprise.
Old 08-02-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fantastic...I remember that SNL skit...where Victoria Jackson puts a red ribbon in her mouth and out comes this huge gift bow....hysterical.
Old 08-02-07, 06:18 PM

So it looks like NONE of the extras from the Artisan season 1 set will be back (audio commentaries, DTS sound, interviews, archival material from the official Twin Peaks magazine, and perhaps most importantly the optional on-screen script notes), with the exception of the Log Lady intros.

What's also odd is that there are interviews on all six discs of Paramount's season 2 set, but these aren't listed on the press release. I guess it's possible they will just be edited into the four-part documentary on disc 10. And only FOUR deleted scenes out of 30 episodes... that's a little disappointing.

And I really hate the cover art and the "Gold Box" name... whatever that means.
Old 08-02-07, 06:18 PM

Do I sell S1 now? I don't know what to do. AHHH!
Old 08-02-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well...i haven't seen Twin Peaks...so this will be a blind buy for me.i can't believe after that 10-disc list ppl are still like "should we sell the old set blah blah" come on!

now any news regarding a SE for the Twin Peaks movie?
Old 08-02-07, 06:59 PM

How much is this behemoth set?
Old 08-02-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by starseed
So it looks like NONE of the extras from the Artisan season 1 set will be back (audio commentaries, DTS sound, interviews, archival material from the official Twin Peaks magazine, and perhaps most importantly the optional on-screen script notes), with the exception of the Log Lady intros.
Definitive my ass...

C'mon guys. If you, at a minimum, can't even re-create what is already out there, there is no business calling it definitive.

I had been waiting for this set, now it looks like I will have to buy this and the original S1 set.
Old 08-02-07, 07:48 PM

I think some people confuse the term "definitive" with "comprehensive."
Old 08-02-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's also odd is that there are interviews on all six discs of Paramount's season 2 set, but these aren't listed on the press release. I guess it's possible they will just be edited into the four-part documentary on disc 10.
Yeah, that is weird. They are so tiny, why not simply include the original DVDs of S2? But I see the grid from DVD 6 is on the separate DVD 10 of the Gold Box, so the DVDs on the Gold box may indeed not even include the complete S2, if the last DVD proves to be altered in this way. I mean, are they really going to use all of those brief, scattershot interviews on the separate 4-part doc?
Old 08-02-07, 08:04 PM

Srp: $109
Old 08-02-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
I think some people confuse the term "definitive" with "comprehensive."
Definitive: Authoritative and apparantly exhaustive.

Definitive implies comprehensive.

Do you feel this release is "definitive" ?
Old 08-02-07, 09:33 PM

I was actually just going off of what was on the back of the S1 box when I wrote this... this is what's actually (apparently) gone (from the Digital Bits review): seven audio commentaries, on-screen script note access, Mark Frost interview with Wrapped in Plastic founders Craig Miller and John Thorne, Learning to Speak in the Red Room with Michael J. Anderson featurette, An Introduction to David Lynch featurette, 17 Pieces of Pie: Shooting at the Mar T (AKA RR) Diner featurette, The Twin Peaks Directory (with filmographies, biographies and postcards from the cast), Easter eggs on each episode's special features menu.

Realistically, the DTS being gone is no surprise... having a DTS track and a 5.1 track and a 2.0 track and a commentary track for each episode meant that only two episodes would fit per disc in the S1 set... a 15-disc set wouldn't be very practical. The commentaries might have to be licensed, plus even if they had them it would be weird to have the pilot without a commentary, episodes 2-8 with a commentary and then 9-30 without a commentary... and they probably can't/won't record new ones.

I'm not trying to be picky, but these omissions are significant. I'm thrilled the whole series will be available in one package, but the lack of extra material that has been available for several years makes the "definitive" title ring a little false.

Last edited by starseed; 08-02-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 09:45 PM
Banned

um. no commentaries means i am not going to be buying this. I bought the season 1 set when it came out but i sold it because the pilot wasnt included and i could not understand one thing that was going on both times i tried to watch the set. then when i heard this box set would have the pilot i really wanted to pick this up but without the commentaries this set does not sound very appealing anymore. maybe ill wait until its like $25 if that ever happens.
they really cant get this twin peaks release right.
Old 08-02-07, 11:24 PM

I feel better being convinced not to get rid of my Season 1 set. Didn't realize the lack of commentaries. For now, I can handle missing the special features. Still wish I had a decent quality version of the pilot, though I'm sure there will be a better version out there after this is released

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.