Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why do you collect DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, in my area I'm looking at $12.00 for a ticket, another $10.00 for popcorn / drink and another $5.00 for parking. Add another ten for the g/f and I'm upto $39.00 to hear some teenagers joke and crackle all through the movie.

Or I could just pay 25 to 30 for the HD / Blu-Ray release and enjoy it in the compfort of my own home whenever I want. Teeny bopper free.
Old 06-08-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because I'm an idiot.
Old 06-08-07, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Makaveli915
because they are cheap and better than sex~~~~~~~~ ; )
Spoker like a true virgin.
Old 06-08-07, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Because if I don't then the money in my wallet will burn a hole right through my pants. I'd rather spend the money on dvds than on a new pair of pants.
Well, there's an easy solution that may help you: don't wear pants!!!

-G
Old 06-08-07, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just love movies, and started collecting back in the VHS days. I love DVDs because of the quality and the extra features that allow you to see the behind the scenes stuff.
Old 06-08-07, 10:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to be a compulsive DVD buyer... in that I would buy things simply because of a great deal (especially back in the Reel.com and 800.com days). Or I'd load up on PVed titles at Hollwood Video, buying some awful movies just because they were 4 bucks a pop. I have a lot of movies I only thought were okay in my collection. Recently I've taken a more reasonable approach to DVD collecting... now I only buy the movies I really enjoyed enough to rewatch multiple times, old favorites, and some tv sets.
Old 06-08-07, 11:01 AM

its one of my many hobbies, i also have shelfs apon shelfs of action figures, cds, games and sports stuff.
Old 06-09-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

its one of my many hobbies, i also have shelfs apon shelfs of action figures, cds, games and sports stuff.
But how do you have time to do all that stuff when you are on the Jimmy Kimmel live! show?
Old 06-09-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Because collecting DVD's is much more gratifying than collecting baseball/basketball cards which I use to do as a kid. Being visually entertained/informed for a few hours a day has been a very gratifying experience since I got into this 8 years ago.
Old 06-12-07, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

Have to do something with ALL the money that I earn.
Some people collect stamps,pens,lighters,books or even sombody else underwears.
Movies ar my hoppy, Icollect them on DVD.
Old 06-12-07, 09:46 AM

Where I live, going to the cinema isn't financially viable because I live on an island off the coast of the UK. To go to the cinema costs me about £300 ($600) after travel and that isn't including accomadation. Also, the postal service for the Highlands is pretty poor nd due to high winds we can regularly go a week without the mailplane coming in making rentals financially redundant. So, I love movies and the cheapest and best way for me is to own them.
Old 06-12-07, 11:45 AM

Why do I collect DVD's what? What does DVD have that I want?

Or is it why do I collect DVDs?

I don't collect DVDs. I buy the movies I like and think I'd want to watch more than once. The format, along with its improved picture quality, is more conducive to doing this than VHS was.

I am a sucker for newer editions of old favorites, and will often hold out for a new release before buying a movie I like. But I set the bar high, and I'm very price conscious. I am aware of monetary limitations, and space limitations.

I've pulled back considerably on TV shows for the simple fact that I don't see myself watching individual TV episodes more than once, or being able to pick a show, a season and an episode to watch.

If I just collected DVDs, I could just go out and buy a bunch of various kinds of blank DVDs.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 06-12-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, in my area I'm looking at $12.00 for a ticket, another $10.00 for popcorn / drink and another $5.00 for parking. Add another ten for the g/f and I'm upto $39.00 to hear some teenagers joke and crackle all through the movie.

Or I could just pay 25 to 30 for the HD / Blu-Ray release and enjoy it in the compfort of my own home whenever I want. Teeny bopper free.
If there's a movie I really want to see.. Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, Transformers, etc. - I will go to the theater.

I paid $9 for a "prime time" ticket to see Pirates. An afternoon matinee is less. You make it sound like you're required to pay for the overpriced popcorn and drink - I don't buy them.

I don't pay to park where I go. And if someone is being loud, I get their ass thrown out.

... Still, if you just want to see the movie at home, uh, rent it. It's cheaper than buying a movie you haven't seen and may not like or want to keep. Blindbuying a movie seems like more of a potential waste of money than going to the theater.
Old 06-12-07, 12:05 PM

because baseball cards got too expensive.
Old 06-12-07, 12:11 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I paid $9 for a "prime time" ticket to see Pirates. An afternoon matinee is less. You make it sound like you're required to pay for the overpriced popcorn and drink - I don't buy them.
Totally agree. Always annoyed me when people include that in price of a theater ticket. It's unhealthy and not necessary and if you must eat/drink during a movie it's easy enough to take a back pack.

I spend between $7.50-9.50 for movies, twice that if I'm paying for my g/f, and thats it.

Well worth it to me, as the best home theater can never top the gigantic screens and sound systems in a good megaplex. Going to matinees or weekday mornings helps as well, both with cheaper tickets and less kids/teenagers.
Old 06-12-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
If there's a movie I really want to see.. Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, Transformers, etc. - I will go to the theater.

I don't pay to park where I go. And if someone is being loud, I get their ass thrown out.

... Still, if you just want to see the movie at home, uh, rent it. It's cheaper than buying a movie you haven't seen and may not like or want to keep. Blindbuying a movie seems like more of a potential waste of money than going to the theater.
I don't blind buy anything (gotta love netflix). I'm just making a financial comparison that hypothetically it'd be better for me to buy a DVD rather than goto a theatre. And I never get food at a theatre either; but you know how it goes....the ladies must have it.
Old 06-12-07, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Josh H
Totally agree. Always annoyed me when people include that in price of a theater ticket. It's unhealthy and not necessary and if you must eat/drink during a movie it's easy enough to take a back pack.

I spend between $7.50-9.50 for movies, twice that if I'm paying for my g/f, and thats it.

Well worth it to me, as the best home theater can never top the gigantic screens and sound systems in a good megaplex. Going to matinees or weekday mornings helps as well, both with cheaper tickets and less kids/teenagers.
Recently I was going a bit out of my way to go to a Cinemark theater, with the big, stadium-style seating and all that. Yeah, it's nice.

But when I saw Pirates, I got dragged back to the older style theater I used to go to all the time. I was in for a shock. They may still have the old style seats, but they made the move to digital, and WOW, what a difference. Perfectly clean, clear, sharp picture, with none of the dirt or black "spots" I've been used to seeing at the theaters.
Old 06-12-07, 01:52 PM

Because I can.
Old 06-12-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
Just a simple question because I am curious to know why?

I am not quite sure myself.

I'm not quite why I have collections.I think it goes back to the days when I collected baseball cards and comic books.

Then I collected alot of dungeons and dragons stuff... And the better half said..you love movies..why not collect dvds?

So I said you are right. Sold all my dnd stuff and started buying dvds.

Does anyone buy dvds..that they have never seen?
and still havent?
Old 06-12-07, 11:45 PM

I don't really collect, as that just seems like a pointless and compulsive pursuit. I have about 30-40 tv-on-dvd boxsets because they're difficult to rent, and often the price gap between renting and buying isn't too steep. I don't really own any dvd movies.
Old 06-12-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I collect films, not DVDs.

Pro-B
Old 06-13-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I collect films, not DVDs.

Pro-B
This should be the end of the thread...awesome answer!
Old 06-13-07, 09:24 AM

I buy movies because I enjoy them. I would rather pop in a movie than watch television most of the time. I stopped renting movies because I know that I can buy them Used cheap and then if I want to part ways with it I can sale it to my friends from $5 to whatever.

Like most people here, everyone has to have a hobby, right.
Old 06-13-07, 06:52 PM

Because i love collecting. Had baseball cards but got bored with them. Starting working at a theater and had money to spent when my family got your first player. Love having the freedom to watch when i went and its funnier then drinking or drugs. Don't buy every week often go a while then get alot during a hot sale.
Old 06-14-07, 07:35 AM

I'm such a damn sucker for movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.