Why do you collect DVD's?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Why do you collect DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have slown down a lot over the past years, mainly because I'm running out of room. I started out buying only my favorite movies and then when something would be on sale or something looked interesting I would buy it. Now I have a lot of DVDs (many that are unopened) and some I wonder why I even bought.
Old 06-07-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've always been a collector and film has always been a passion of mine, so it just feels... right. I love knowing I can watch anything I want anytime I want to.
Old 06-07-07, 10:54 AM

Packaging can look really nice on certain Director's Cut, Special Edition, Limited Edition etc and stand out to the bare bones release the non-collector buys because of price, but really it comes down to I love movies and they seem like a worthwhile thing to own
Old 06-07-07, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I have a collector's mentality, and I love films, so it's a natural thing for me. Also, I'm very happy with the DVD format (I never liked VHS, and I only had a few) so I was hooked ever since I bought my first one.
When my family got our DVD player I was in middle school and the VHS "collection" was stuff I had outgrown. I think I had maybe 10 (probably) movies I liked on VHS. Somehow DVD made owning movies seem worthwhile. My collection really took off thanks to the DDD sales, that and Blockbuster movie pass allowing to expose myself to a wide variety of new films just out of curiosity.
Old 06-07-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
collecting body parts was getting messy

You too?

Damn I thought it was only me
Old 06-07-07, 11:43 AM

I enjoy owning DVDs because:

1. I watch what I buy multiple times, so the value is high for me.
2. I like having the definitive version of my favorite movie available for me to watch whenever I want -- I don't have to worry about a movie going out of print due to rights issues, or movies losing the original songs/music due to royalty issues, or a particular cut of a film not being available, etc.

When you don't own a movie, you're at the whim of what the studio does with it-- for example, maybe Columbia will only allow streaming/download/rental of The Professional the US cut instead of Leon: The Professional Uncut.
A bit paranoid maybe, but we've all seen the studios do crazy things with their properties, so I tend not to trust them....
Old 06-07-07, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Because I can pay less to own the DVD than see it in theatres. Simple as that.
Old 06-07-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
But then where do you go to listen to teens curse constantly on cell phones and babies cry ?

I collect because I love debt!!!!
Old 06-07-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have always collected something. Since childhood small plastic animals to Matchbox to HO to car kits. Comic books to paperbacks to Graphic Novels. Movie cards, magazines, and action figures. Shoes, bags, rings. Records, tapes, CDs, DVDs. I walk through my house and know I have too many toys. I try to give away or sell every now and again. My one good trait is that I am very organized and everything has a place or box or room. My quest, before I die, is not to leave too much stuff for my family to go through and that what is left behind will be easy to pass on. DVDs are without a doubt the most fun I have ever had in collecting.
Old 06-07-07, 12:19 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Started getting into movies when I wsa in College and majored in Media, since then it kinda took a hold of me. Besides, I'd rather spend money on something I can keep and have at hand then spend all of it down the bars etc. It's my one sole hobby so to speak
Old 06-07-07, 12:27 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Not really that simple, as you could Netflix or rent elsewhere rather than cby and collect DVDs.
Old 06-07-07, 12:37 PM

I collect so that I can watch the movies I want when I want to (obvious), but I also collect the movies that I would want my kids to see when they grow up. They might never get to see Shawshank Redemption without seeing it on DVD (or having TNT on cable/satellite).

Its is also great to watch a great movie with a friend of family member that they have never seen before and hear them ask how they missed it when it was released.
Old 06-07-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I like movies, and I like to have the movies I like to watch anytime I want. There are a lot of movies I like so I have a lot of DVDs. Also there are a lot of movies I want to see that aren't readily available to rent or to see at theaters by my house, so that adds more to the total.
Old 06-07-07, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
But then where do you go to listen to teens curse constantly on cell phones and babies cry ?

I collect because I love debt!!!!
I talk to my wife.
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh H
Not really that simple, as you could Netflix or rent elsewhere rather than cby and collect DVDs.
you missed the keyword in the sentence. "own"

First I made a list of my favourite films I'd like to have. It was about 50-60 titles, and I thought that will be it. No more. But after it all started... I became addicted to all those Limited editions etc. Now I have about 400 titles and even more in my wish list. Do I really have that many favourite movies?
Old 06-07-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Watching movies is my favorite hobby, and I love knowing that I can watch any of my favorites at any time. I'm also a huge sucker for super duper special editions.

TV shows on DVD is a godsend as well.
Old 06-07-07, 02:55 PM

I love movies and tv shows, plain and simple. I don't buy any that I don't like and if a blind buy or something doesn't hold up - it's gone! I don't buy and keep DVD's just for the sake of owning or collecting them, I buy them because I like them.
Old 06-07-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I love movies/cinema.
Old 06-07-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I like shiny objects.
DVDs are shiny on one side.
Pretty simple.
ooooh, then you have those DVDs that come in shiny tins. Even better.
Old 06-07-07, 03:54 PM

I love movies.

They help me to sallow my pills.

I can study them (e.g. shot composition and editing).

They help me to sleep at night (or sometimes the opposite).
Old 06-07-07, 08:54 PM

because they are cheap and better than sex~~~~~~~~ ; )
Old 06-07-07, 08:58 PM
Banned

Cause I'm rich, bitch!
Old 06-08-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I could legitimately enjoy the witty banter at dvdtalk.com.
Old 06-08-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh Thats a good one, can't believe I didn't type that. I gave up going to the theatres about 3 years ago and strictly just buying the Movies when they get released on DVD.
It's ALOT cheaper than going to the theatres because you don't have to pay $11 bucks a ticket, don't have to pay $20 for popcorn & a drink & you don't have to waste money on gas driving to the theater.
You slap down $20-$30 bucks down for the DVD and you get to keep the thing forever and watch it as many times as you want.
I think I went to the theatres once in the past 3 years and it was last summer when a co-worker wanted to go see Click & didn't want to wait ti'll it got released on DVD, I think the 2 of us together it cost $50 bucks total which is just crazy!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.