Reload this Page >

My So Called Life, ReRelease ---> Oct. 30, 2007

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My So Called Life, ReRelease ---> Oct. 30, 2007

Old 07-03-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Linn1
I would be very surprised if far more knew Danes than Leto if you went up to 16-23 year olds and show them pics of the pair. Leto is certainly more well known across the board from his work with 30 Seconds to Mars and his film work. He's also picked better films to be in than Danes IMO.
What exactly does across the board mean? 30 Seconds to Mars? Who? Why are we focusing on 16-23 year olds? I don't think even Leto would be happy if that was the age group that best knew of him.

I have nothing against Leto, but if you were standing in line for a talk show and Claire Danes was the guest more "average" people would know who she was and they'd be more excited than, say, if Jared Leto was the guest. That may not mean she's got a body of work much better than his, but she has that "whatever" that makes you a star.

Leto is gonna appeal to young girls pretty much.

Requiem for a Dream is not a mainstream film and it's the last time I can think of him really starring in a great movie. That was 7 years ago.

The Evening and The Family Stone were't my cup of tea, but when these great actors are put together, Claire Danes is someone they want. If a similar movie was being made with some of the best male actors, I don't think Leto would get much consideration.

Steve Martin choosing her for Shopgirl says a lot as well. And she's co-starring with Richard Gere in The Flock.

She was terrific acting with the very talented Billy Crudup as well. She just fillmed a movie starring with Robert Deniro, Sienna Miller, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Peter O'Toole. And Danes doesn't just have tiny supporting parts, she's got large roles with tremendous casts, and she's typically a lead or co-lead in her movies.

That said, again, she's a total bitch if she doesn't participate in the MSCL re-release and I will root for Leto (maybe that will make you happy) to become a bigger star than her.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 07-03-07 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-03-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by critterdvd
This whole conversation actually really interested me. I'm a 20-year-old college student who feel in love with this show when my sister gave me the DVDs for Christmas years ago. So as an experiment I posted a myspace bulletion with pictures of both Claire Danes and Jared Leto asking my friends if they knew who the two were. I got 43 responses (I might have said it was for an essay to get people to actually answer me), and out of the 43, 37 of them knew who Claire Danes is while only 28 could tell me who Jared Leto was (and several people referred to him as "Alexander's gay buddy" - which I gave credit too).
I was typing when you posted this, but it kind of goes with what I was saying about whether a crowd at a talk show would know or be more excited to see Danes or Leto.

I think a lot more would say Danes, know Danes, and prefer to be there to see her. It's not a knock against Leto, but Claire is the bigger star.
Old 07-03-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It really doesn't matter who is the bigger star. It could easily be that Danes's schedule with the "Evening" conflicted with the timeframe for recording a commentary on this set. It would not be the first time that an actor skipped out in participating in a commentary because they had a prior engagement.
Old 07-03-07, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
It really doesn't matter who is the bigger star. It could easily be that Danes's schedule with the "Evening" conflicted with the timeframe for recording a commentary on this set. It would not be the first time that an actor skipped out in participating in a commentary because they had a prior engagement.
Please, if Shout Factory took this on, I'm sure they knew getting Claire involved would be the big prize. They've not even officially announced this set, although I'm sure they will at some point. They would have been more than accommodating to Claire's schedule in every single way possible.

Heck, she probably filmed "Evening" a year ago and Shout Factory is still working on the bonus materials.

She could call tomorrow and they'd do whatever it took to get her involvement-including pushing the release date back if they, in fact, do have on set. If she isn't involved, it's because she doesn't want to be involved.

I think fans should be pissed. This was a first rate show, it only lasted one season so her commitment to doing bonus features would be extremely limited, it launched her career, and the fans of this show are incredibly loyal and care deeply about it. She should be involved.

Leto was a supporting character and even Angela's friends and family were very much in the background to Angela's life and Claire's performance. She was that show. Yet, years later, Leto has no reason to do this but for the fans. I bet at first he might have not liked people asking him about it, but after a while it's probably been the most consistant thing he's heard-other than you're really hot. I imagine he's proud that he was involved in the show and wants to give something back. I can't see why Danes would feel so completely the opposite.
Old 07-03-07, 04:27 AM

Most likely that as well, as scheduling problems as far as I know, are difficult to get around.
Old 07-03-07, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Please, if Shout Factory took this on, I'm sure they knew getting Claire involved would be the big prize.
Oh really? I think the "big prize" is putting an OOP show back into print. Danes has 3 movies with summer release dates this year, that's a very busy schedule. You are reading waaaay too much into the situation.
Old 07-03-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh really? I think the "big prize" is putting an OOP show back into print. Danes has 3 movies with summer release dates this year, that's a very busy schedule. You are reading waaaay too much into the situation.
Yeah, her heavy schedule really impacted her 10 day vacation to Maui.

Her schedule this year is light so far and, again, it would take a couple of hours of her life on 1 day to be involved.

MSCL fans are pretty rapid fans for such an old show and the big prize wasn't getting the rights to re-release it. That's simply a business deal that works out for both sides.

Getting Danes on board would sell more units. Especially since the pricetag is relatively high.

I personally love the show, but I won't sell my 1st one until I see the complete special features and hear if they've cleaned up the picture quality.

If Claire was doing a few commentaries and maybe an interview, my box would be sold by now and this would be a no-brainer. For now, it's only a no-brainer for people who don't want to buy used sets for $100 on Ebay.
Old 07-03-07, 09:16 PM

Yeah, her heavy schedule really impacted her 10 day vacation to Maui.
What, are you her stalker? Your arguments are so emotional and self-centered that I'm beginning to wonder. You are essentially arguing that she should skip her vacation to do more work for you, probably unpaid too - I don't know about you, but that doesn't fly with most people.

Her schedule this year is light so far and, again, it would take a couple of hours of her life on 1 day to be involved.
How could you possibly know that "her schedule this year is light?" I think that is just wish fulfillment on your part.

Her schedule is only half the picture, it has to correspond with the schedules of everyone else involved. Shout factory has other projects with other commitments, if their people don't have time when Danes has time, then it won't happen.

And a "couple of hours of her day" is an understatement - you seem to want her to fly back from Maui just to record this commentary - that's half a day of traveling. The point being, once again, that scheduling is not anywhere near as simple a task as you make it out to be.

MSCL fans are pretty rapid fans for such an old show and the big prize wasn't getting the rights to re-release it. That's simply a business deal that works out for both sides.
Lol, I think you meant 'vapid.' Surprisingly enough, it's ALL JUST A BUSINESS DEAL. If you think it is anything more than that, you really need to step back and put down the kool-aid.
Old 07-03-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Regarding Claire Danes, Everyone says that all she does is have to give up a single day. Unfortunately its not the easy. Studios usually only record one or two commentaries and day, and interviews are typically done seperately... so sure she could do some interviews or a commentary or two, but where are the special features being recorded? Would she have to travel?

Also she just had a movie come out and has another coming out very soon. Maybe those studios have her under contract to do promotion and she doesn't have time to record special features, or maybe her contracts for the new films says she can't. There are a lot variables as to why she won't be able to participate.
Old 07-03-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What, are you her stalker? Your arguments are so emotional and self-centered that I'm beginning to wonder. You are essentially arguing that she should skip her vacation to do more work for you, probably unpaid too - I don't know about you, but that doesn't fly with most people.

How could you possibly know that "her schedule this year is light?" I think that is just wish fulfillment on your part.

Her schedule is only half the picture, it has to correspond with the schedules of everyone else involved. Shout factory has other projects with other commitments, if their people don't have time when Danes has time, then it won't happen.

And a "couple of hours of her day" is an understatement - you seem to want her to fly back from Maui just to record this commentary - that's half a day of traveling. The point being, once again, that scheduling is not anywhere near as simple a task as you make it out to be.

Lol, I think you meant 'vapid.' Surprisingly enough, it's ALL JUST A BUSINESS DEAL. If you think it is anything more than that, you really need to step back and put down the kool-aid.
You should spend some time in the political forum, you'd fit right in with the people who think this message board is for only 1 opinion and that's their opinion.

Bottom line is that she and Jared have SAID that they wanted to distance themselves from the show. Is that enough proof for you? Or do you need me to get her to sign something and personally send it to you stating this is a personal choice and has nothing to do with time.

I got an idea of her schedule from imdb which doesn't show her doing much AND because she's known for being really picky about her parts and taking time off.

You are probably the only one, so obsessed with defending the lady, who took my mentioning of her trip (which she shared with several million other stalkers when she talked about it on Letterman) literally that she should give up her vacation to do bonus features for the show.

It was merely an illustration that I think in a 365 day year, she and Shout could have found one day when everyone could have gotten together if she WANTED to.

She clearly doesn't want to, it's clearly her choice and not scheduling (she didn't want to be a part of the first release either, must have been scheduling again), and I think that sucks.

And what's this business about her working for me? So, now when I listen to an actor do a commentary I should drop on my knees and thank god they did some more work for me? As dvds are getting bigger and bigger actors kind of know that it kind of comes with the entire job, which often pays them millions of dollars, to contribute to the special features by doing some lame promo interview, doing something exciting if they are really interested like go around with a camera and introduce the viewer to the crew and other cast members, or even do a commentary for the dvd.

I don't see Claire Danes being brought down to the studio by a couple of goons, wearing shabby clothing, with curlers in her hair and face cream on, screaming that she doesn't want to do a commentary for MSCL and nobody can make her! Please, talk about kool-aid.

PS-I don't think the actors from Firefly think of it only as a business. And it's a comparable show, both with rabid fan bases that really care about the show. Yes, MSCL doesn't have quite the fan base as Firefly now, but it's been gone for a long time and they also made a movie. They are proud of the show and they care about the fans. I'm sure they make some nice $$$ for all those appearances, but I don't believe it's all business. I'm not that cynical. They find the time to do things because they want to. Claire doesn't have scheduling problems and doesn't care about compensation, she just doesn't want to be involved and I think (my opinion) that sucks ass.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 07-03-07 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by critterdvd
TVshowsondvd is reporting that SHOUT factory is re-releasing all 19 episodes on 6-discs this halloween. Features/Spec's TBD.
Isn't Halloween on the 31st?
Old 07-04-07, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Isn't Halloween on the 31st?
The rumored date is 10/29, I believe, but I don't believe Shout Factory has put out anything official yet.
Old 07-06-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some Information on the DVD as a whole particularly the special features:
From MSCL.com

Shout!Factory shot so far interviews with the following people:

Crew:
- Edward Zwick, Marshall Herskovitz and Winnie Holzman (executive producers and creators of "My So-Called Life")
- Todd Holland (director "Life of Brian" and "Weekend")
- Jason Katims (writer "The Substitute", "Life of Brian", "So-Called Angels")
- Scott Winant (co-executive producer, director "So-Called Angels", "Dancing in the Dark" and pilot episode)

Cast:
- Wilson Cruz ("Rickie Vasquez")
- Paul Dooley ("Chuck Wood", he's also Winnie Holzman's husband)
- Devon Gummersall ("Brian Krakow")

Audio commentaries for the following episodes (with various cast & crew members):
- The pilot episode
- Life of Brian
- So-Called Angels

More commentaries with other cast and crew members are in development.

The booklet will have tributes by Joss Whedon (of "Buffy" and "Firefly" fame) and Janeane Garofalo ("Felicity", "The Larry Sanders Show"). Winnie Holzman will add an introduction with thoughts about possible future plot developments.
Old 07-06-07, 03:05 PM

Definitely double-dipping on this.
Old 07-06-07, 03:29 PM

You should spend some time in the political forum, you'd fit right in with the people who think this message board is for only 1 opinion and that's their opinion.

Bottom line is that she and Jared have SAID that they wanted to distance themselves from the show. Is that enough proof for you?.
My opinion is only that your opinion is a theory with lots of holes in it, supported more by emotional beliefs than any rational evidence. If you think that poking obvious holes in your theory means I am trying to dictate your opinion, then you need to get some thicker skin or stop posting your opinions where other people can comment on them.

I would like to see some sort of confirming reports that Danes has said that she wants to "distance" herself from the show. The only thing I can find even resembling that claim is a note on imdb that the show was canceled because she wanted to work on other projects.
Old 07-06-07, 04:28 PM

Did people get this riled up over Sarah Michelle Gellar not appearing in any of the Buffy DVD extras?
Old 07-06-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My opinion is only that your opinion is a theory with lots of holes in it, supported more by emotional beliefs than any rational evidence. If you think that poking obvious holes in your theory means I am trying to dictate your opinion, then you need to get some thicker skin or stop posting your opinions where other people can comment on them.

I would like to see some sort of confirming reports that Danes has said that she wants to "distance" herself from the show. The only thing I can find even resembling that claim is a note on imdb that the show was canceled because she wanted to work on other projects.
I have a theory? (It could bunnies)

You poked holes in my theory? (Nah, something isn't right there).

You really need to get back to googling for quotes and accept that my opinion is just as valid as yours.

But if you just want to keep "poking holes," you go girl!
Old 07-06-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Did people get this riled up over Sarah Michelle Gellar not appearing in any of the Buffy DVD extras?
Angela was MSCL.

If you did a poll about who's your favorite character from the Buffy-verse, I'm not sure Buffy would win.

That said, it is extremely disappointing that "Buffy" is nowhere to be found in the bonus features, other than, I think, during the behind the scenes of Once More With Feeling!
Old 07-08-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My two cents having not seen the show and not knowing much about Leto or Danes: I would say it is reasonable to suggest that a) Shout! Factory would not only like Danes to participate but would work to fit her schedule would she be willing, because one could postulate that those working on the set there are probably fans of the show and because it will, above all, probably sell some more sets, and b) that it wouldn't require a whole lot of her time...perhaps more than one day but I'm sure they would do whatever to make her happy. However, I doubt that if she declines firmly to participate, they would a) keep trying or b) lose any sleep over it. I also don't think complaining about her will make much of a difference. It is lame for her to opt out, sure, but if she does that's her choice.
Old 07-12-07, 09:06 AM

You can all stop whining now:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7646

Featurettes with the cast and creators:
o "My So-Called Life Story" - The amazing story of the origins, life and afterlife of the series.
o 1995 Museum of Television and Radio Panel
o "A Conversation with Claire Danes and Winnie Holzman"
o "The Characters" - Exploring the backstories and relationships of the characters.
o An exclusive interview with Claire Danes
o Photo gallery
o "The Music" with composer Snuffy Waldren
o Deluxe book accompanies set and includes original art alongside full-color cast photos and liner notes from Winnie Holzman, Joss Whedon, Janeane Garofalo, and Michele Byers (author and co-editor of new book Dear Angela: Remembering My So-Called Life - due out this year).
Old 07-12-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good for Claire and good for the people involved to do what they could to get her involved some way. I just hope that it's not a 4 minute interview. Something close to the interview on the Buffy complete set bonus disc would be amazing.

My only complaint now is the box. Yuck. Good pic of Angela, but the rest of the design is horrible.
Old 10-27-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will this have a new tranfer and sound mix, or is it just a repacked (with more features) AU set?
Old 10-27-07, 02:23 PM

The most impressive new feature of this set is that you only have to pay for it once!
Old 10-27-07, 04:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
i'm on board, though i would love reviews. now to unload my previously expensively priced original set
Old 10-28-07, 12:37 AM

There was a review in a magazine...

about two weeks ago and said that Danes was GREAT in the interview and seemed to enjoy talking about the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.