Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My So Called Life, ReRelease ---> Oct. 30, 2007

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My So Called Life, ReRelease ---> Oct. 30, 2007

Old 05-03-07, 05:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
as much as this is good news for some, i don't think they will release any new stuff or transfers. i don't think it would be so wise to give up current sets. at least in this instance with all the trouble this studio purported the first time around.
Old 05-03-07, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Does it look like Shout Factory! may have absorbed or become the company that released the last set?
No. The rights simply reverted back to the owners and they shopped it around. I'm glad Shout picked it up, they should do a nice job.
Old 05-03-07, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
as much as this is good news for some, i don't think they will release any new stuff or transfers. i don't think it would be so wise to give up current sets. at least in this instance with all the trouble this studio purported the first time around.
Ya, and hopefully all the music will be intact as they promise. I'm always somewhat wary when a new release gets anounced for a valuable OOP title as you just never know what may get screwed up (remember HARD DAY'S NIGHT?). But I'm sure even if something were wrong on this new set, the value of the original release will plummet overall anyway so it would probably be worth unloading it in advance if you need some cash. You could probably re-buy the original set if necessary at a decent price if this new version ends up with a problem. I think teh new set will be completely fine, though, considering Shout Factory's history.

I think I was one of the few people who actually watched this show all the way through when it first aired on ABC. I rarely watch tv, but they had hired out my car for use in an episode which I was selling at the time in the Recycler. They needed a beat up sports-car (my red Fiat spider) for the episode about the substitute teacher. They called me and I was hired for one day (the car was only needed for two sequences) and it was shot somewhere in Pasadena. In the sequence driving down the Claire Danes character's street, I was asked to drive the car in the rehearsals with Claire Danes in the passenger seat only because the actor (Roger Rees?) couldn't drive stick very well. Claire Danes was cute as could be and very friendly - I had no idea about anything of the show and Danes was basically unknown at the time. I asked her if she was the lead in the show and she basically confirmed. Very nice girl - does she really not want anything to do with this show any longer? She is so incredible in that role. Anyway, for the actual shooting of that sequence, Rees grinded my car gears a couple of times as he tried to drive it down the street, but it was all good. I'm happy for the memory and that car is long gone.

So I looked out for the show on ABC to see my car, and was amazed at how good the show was compared to what I usually thought about tv. The substitute teacher episode aired about halfway through the season, but I still watched the show all the way through the end of the season (even with all of ABC's shuffling around). In a way, it's almost better it ended after one season - it makes it a perfect contained entity before it got drawn out and bad.

I'm glad this is getting re-released for all those who wanted it and all those who have never seen it and can experience a very unique, intelligent show. Check it out - the pilot episode is fantastic if you just want to check out one.
Old 05-03-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the original set, but not the bonus disc or lunchbox. (Though I have bid on them on eBay many times over the years)

If they include those, I may be persuaded to get this edition too.
Old 05-04-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
I went through the 2-year ordeal of buying the full-blown box set with Another Universe lunchbox and bonus disc for my wife. She finally decided to sit down and watch some of the discs recently, but quit after 3 episodes and told me that the show didn't hold up and bored her senseless.

I've been contemplating putting it on eBay. Now would seem to be the time.
Old 05-04-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We seem to have a lot of gamblers in here. I simply don't have the stones to sell off my set until there is something concrete put out by SHOUT factory about the release, including info on the music, special features, etc.

I love my set way too much to sell it off and have something go wrong and have either no release or somehow get an inferior release (music changes).

I'll no doubt lose out on the big money that probably is still available to those who sell off now if this turns out to be true and the set is better, but it just seems like a huge gamble right now and I don't want to end up being one of those people who end up spending a small fortune trying to get my original set back.

Still, great news if it's true and truly a great show that I'll be ok with not taking huge advatange of its current OOP status, if I end up with a better set in the future. In my tv watching days, this show is tied with Freaks and Geeks as the best show to be cancelled after just one full season.
Old 05-04-07, 07:50 PM

When did this go OOP? Crap, time to put up on ebay. Never liked that lunchbox anyway.
Old 05-04-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by mrwilson
When did this go OOP? Crap, time to put up on ebay. Never liked that lunchbox anyway.

A lunchbox you say? I'll definitely be watching the used stores for this after the re-release.
Old 05-04-07, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I went through the 2-year ordeal of buying the full-blown box set with Another Universe lunchbox and bonus disc for my wife. She finally decided to sit down and watch some of the discs recently, but quit after 3 episodes and told me that the show didn't hold up and bored her senseless.

I've been contemplating putting it on eBay. Now would seem to be the time.

Just because your wife has bad taste in TV doesn't mean you should sell her.
Old 05-04-07, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by man*machine
I think I was one of the few people who actually watched this show all the way through when it first aired on ABC.

Me too.

I rememeber in the middle of the episode with the gun, it was interrupted because of a real life airplane crash. They later reaired that episode out of sequence.
Old 05-04-07, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
We seem to have a lot of gamblers in here. I simply don't have the stones to sell off my set until there is something concrete put out by SHOUT factory about the release, including info on the music, special features, etc.

I love my set way too much to sell it off and have something go wrong and have either no release or somehow get an inferior release (music changes).

I'll no doubt lose out on the big money that probably is still available to those who sell off now if this turns out to be true and the set is better, but it just seems like a huge gamble right now and I don't want to end up being one of those people who end up spending a small fortune trying to get my original set back.

Still, great news if it's true and truly a great show that I'll be ok with not taking huge advatange of its current OOP status, if I end up with a better set in the future. In my tv watching days, this show is tied with Freaks and Geeks as the best show to be cancelled after just one full season.

I'm keeping mine. I don't do that "musical chairs" game with DVDs.
Old 05-05-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why sell off a set to buy the same show later on? What's the point? Were there music replacements in the first set? Are they promising better video quality with the new set? I also went through the two year ordeal with AU...I couldn't part with my set, or the bonus stuff...I felt like I was part of the reason they got released in the first place.
Old 05-05-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by David Levine
No. The rights simply reverted back to the owners and they shopped it around. I'm glad Shout picked it up, they should do a nice job.
Yep, looking forward to this big time. They did amazing jobs with both version of the Freaks & Geeks sets.
Old 05-07-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wergo
I have the original set, but not the bonus disc or lunchbox. (Though I have bid on them on eBay many times over the years)

If they include those, I may be persuaded to get this edition too.
I would assume they won't. The bonus disc really wasn't worth the headache anyway (yes, I was one of those triple billed (only got one refund though) people).
Old 05-07-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went through FAR too much trouble to get this set along with the lunchbox and bonus disc. It was like trial by fire dealing with AnotherUniverse... people can have my set when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Old 05-08-07, 10:05 AM

Looks like a rental for me. I'll check out the show, because I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Old 05-08-07, 10:35 AM
Retired

She finally decided to sit down and watch some of the discs recently, but quit after 3 episodes and told me that the show didn't hold up and bored her senseless.
I'm hesitant to pick up the re-release for just that reason. I loved it when it aired, but I was in high school then so it was easy to relate with the characters.

Not sure it would hold up now with me pushing 30.
Old 05-08-07, 10:42 AM

I went through the 2-year ordeal of buying the full-blown box set with Another Universe lunchbox and bonus disc for my wife.

If it makes you feel any better the man mostly responsible for that mess is in a federal prison.

I for one will wait to sell my set till i know a little more about the set. It would be nice to have some actual extras, like commentaries, etc.

Last edited by Elpresidentepez; 05-08-07 at 11:01 AM. Reason: ::Rolls Eyes::
Old 05-08-07, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
If it makes you feel any better the man partially responsible for that mess is in a federal prison.
Oh, I would say a little more responsible than "partially".
Old 05-08-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm hesitant to pick up the re-release for just that reason. I loved it when it aired, but I was in high school then so it was easy to relate with the characters.

Not sure it would hold up now with me pushing 30.
I think it holds up quite well and I'm pushing 40.
Old 05-08-07, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I think it holds up quite well and I'm pushing 40.

Agreed. I was in Junior High when it originally aired and watched it from the beginning and I think it still holds up. Fortunately MSCL didn't get bogged down by trying to be "hip."
Old 05-08-07, 04:35 PM

Yep, definitely holds up for me @ 30.
Old 05-09-07, 10:53 PM
Banned

Finally I get to see this show!! yay!
Old 05-10-07, 06:01 PM

Great news! I wonder what the price range will be, I looked for it back when I got my first DVD player, but it was so expensive I just waited hoping the price would drop which never happened. I hope they can get some of the actors to do commentary, I actually usually enjoy commentary (I'm a bit weird, I know). I loved Jared Leto...so cute!
Old 06-29-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just found some more Info on the Release:

- MSPR $69.95
- Commentaries and Interviews with Series Creator, Producers, and Jared Leto
- Original Draft(s) of the Pilot Script
- Deleted Scenes
- Featurette on the planned storylines for Season 2
- All Original Music

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.