Originally Posted by critterdvd
I just found some more Info on the Release:

- MSPR $69.95
- Commentaries and Interviews with Series Creator, Producers, and Jared Leto
- Original Draft(s) of the Pilot Script
- Deleted Scenes
- Featurette on the planned storylines for Season 2
- All Original Music
I've heard rumors that Claire Danes doesn't want to have anything to do with the show. Doesn't want to be a part of special features and such. And she seems like a very grounded and nice person when I've seen her interviewed. This show was what started her career and it was a damn good show.

I always just thought those were rumors, but this kind of confirms it. I mean Jared Leto has a reputation of being a kind of odd guy in real life and I've read stories that he had pretty much the same kind of resentment of being the pretty boy pin up that Johnny Depp had with 21 Jump Street, yet he's willing to be involved.

I'm not sure this warrants a douple-dip based on those special features. If the pic quality is much improved, that would seem to be the only reason to care if you already have the set.

I was expecting SO much more. Fan commentaries, long interviews with the entire family (I would be interested to see what happened to the little sister), and a whole lot more, especially to make up for the lack of participation of Claire Danes. I just don't get it. I worship this show and the set that I have, no amount of money would get me to sell it, and then there comes news of a new set, and I was thinking what an opportunity here to get Claire Danes to do some commentaries and an interview and make a box set that would be an ultimate My So-Called Life Box Set.

This falls really short imho.
Old 06-30-07, 12:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
$70 for this? Pass. This should be $35/$40 tops at this point. No TV on DVD requires such a high pricetag.
Old 06-30-07, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this will still warrant the double dip. There are at least some extras this time around, and I just have to imagine that Shout Factory will generally create more appealing discs. I sold off my original set in anticipation of this, and can't imagine any reason that I'll regret it.
Old 06-30-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's a good damn price!
Old 06-30-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I sold my lunchbox set on eBay for $175.
Old 06-30-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I've heard rumors that Claire Danes doesn't want to have anything to do with the show. Doesn't want to be a part of special features and such. And she seems like a very grounded and nice person when I've seen her interviewed. This show was what started her career and it was a damn good show.

I always just thought those were rumors, but this kind of confirms it. I mean Jared Leto has a reputation of being a kind of odd guy in real life and I've read stories that he had pretty much the same kind of resentment of being the pretty boy pin up that Johnny Depp had with 21 Jump Street, yet he's willing to be involved.
You've got to realize that Jared Leto doesn't have a whole lot else going on in his career right now. He might not have liked being a teen heartthrob at the time, but about now he'll take any publicity exposure he can get.

Claire Danes is a busy actress. She's got that movie with Glen Close and all the other high-powered actresses to promote.
Old 06-30-07, 11:13 AM
Suspended

You've got to realize that Jared Leto doesn't have a whole lot else going on in his career right now. He might not have liked being a teen heartthrob at the time, but about now he'll take any publicity exposure he can get.

seriously, you think Claire Danes is more well known than Jerod Leto at this point in their Careers? Or that she is a busier person?

see him in magazines all the time, and while he spends majority of his time in the music biz, i think he's done just as many movies as her in recent years.
Old 06-30-07, 11:55 AM

Uh...

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You've got to realize that Jared Leto doesn't have a whole lot else going on in his career right now.
huh? He's more well known than Danes is currently. He's been in quite a few high profile films over the last few years (not giant hits mind you) and is doing well in music. Danes has nearly disappeared off the radar by comparison.
Old 07-01-07, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, my friend Alisha will love this news.

I never had a chance to check out the show, but I've heard wonderful stuff about it. I'll probably see if I can torrent it to check it out before the set comes out.
Old 07-01-07, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
$70 for this? Pass. This should be $35/$40 tops at this point. No TV on DVD requires such a high pricetag.

I guess that depends on whether you're a casual viewer, or a fan.

I paid $70 for the original release, and it was well, well worth it to me.
Old 07-01-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Linn1
huh? He's more well known than Danes is currently. He's been in quite a few high profile films over the last few years (not giant hits mind you) and is doing well in music. Danes has nearly disappeared off the radar by comparison.
Yep, once they kicked her out of the Philippines, her career was pretty much over.
Old 07-02-07, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering her career was "over", it's pretty impressive that she landed roles in Igby Goes Down, Terminator 3, Shopgirl, The Family Stone, The Hours... all after the Phillipines incident.
Old 07-02-07, 03:39 AM

Wooooooosh!
Old 07-02-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Linn1

Leto is doing very well with his music career. His band, 30 Seconds to Mars, headlined MTV's $2 Bill tour (they tour frequently) and they're in heavy rotation on the radio. Plus, he still manages to sqeeze in some high profile movies every now and then.

A far bigger success at this point than Danes, IMO.
Old 07-02-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wooooooosh!
Yeah, sarcasm doesn't work if it's in text, bud

Unless you wanna give me a call and read me the post so I know how it's coming across.
Old 07-02-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I amazed at all the props that Leto is getting (over Danes). I couldn't pick him out of a crowd and definately wouldn't go see a movie based on him being in it. And I can't think of a single movie that he has been in that he was the male lead. I could name at least 10 that featured Danes as the female lead.
Old 07-02-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could name at least 10 that featured Danes as the female lead.
The only one I could come up with was Terminator 3...and I wasn't even 100% sure that was her.
Old 07-02-07, 08:43 PM
Suspended

I could name at least 10 that featured Danes as the female lead.
name them.
Old 07-02-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lcnickell
name them.
If only those kinds of challenges could work on the internet!
Old 07-02-07, 09:45 PM

She was awesome in shopgirl.
Old 07-02-07, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by lcnickell
name them.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000132/
Old 07-02-07, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by grundle
I guess that depends on whether you're a casual viewer, or a fan.

I paid $70 for the original release, and it was well, well worth it to me.
Dude, don't even go there. I was one of the original people who pre-ordered this years ago. I know all about Ross Rojek and Another Universe and 3 different credit charges. I got my lunchbox and Bonus DVD eventually. In THIS day and age, there is no reason why this 15 year old show should have such a high retail tag. Do they really think they will sell this with such a high MSRP?

Sigh, I know I will buy this...
Old 07-02-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
I amazed at all the props that Leto is getting (over Danes). I couldn't pick him out of a crowd and definately wouldn't go see a movie based on him being in it. And I can't think of a single movie that he has been in that he was the male lead. I could name at least 10 that featured Danes as the female lead.
Hollywood directors and producers agree with you, which is why she commands a higher salary than does Leto to do a film.

Danes seems to prefer to typically pick and choose very few films and to only do what really appeals to her. Leto has definately taken some chances in a small picture leads and has done some very good supporting work, but, however you would quantify it, Danes is the bigger "star."

But I hope her career ends if she refuses to participate in this. Yes, I care that much. You take one day out of your rich, privledged life and you go film some interview and watch a couple of 44 minute episodes and talk about them. That's not too hard.
Old 07-03-07, 12:12 AM

Well...

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
however you would quantify it, Danes is the bigger "star."
I would be very surprised if far more knew Danes than Leto if you went up to 16-23 year olds and show them pics of the pair. Leto is certainly more well known across the board from his work with 30 Seconds to Mars and his film work. He's also picked better films to be in than Danes IMO.
Old 07-03-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This whole conversation actually really interested me. I'm a 20-year-old college student who feel in love with this show when my sister gave me the DVDs for Christmas years ago. So as an experiment I posted a myspace bulletion with pictures of both Claire Danes and Jared Leto asking my friends if they knew who the two were. I got 43 responses (I might have said it was for an essay to get people to actually answer me), and out of the 43, 37 of them knew who Claire Danes is while only 28 could tell me who Jared Leto was (and several people referred to him as "Alexander's gay buddy" - which I gave credit too).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.