Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oh my God, it has happaned. I want to own every Criterion Collection DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Oh my God, it has happaned. I want to own every Criterion Collection DVD

I've never had the desire to own the entire Criterion Collection. I think the movies in the collection are movies every film fan should see at least once, and I'm willing to buy the ones I like, but there are movies I don't like (such as Armaggedon) that I don't feel the need to add to my collection, regardless if it was the only remaining spine number I needed or not.
Old 04-15-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i own about 50....i've owned and sold at least that many others. some i wish i still had...some were just not something i'd watch again. but they are always worth seeing. They are by far the best company out there...i wish my wallet could satisfy my desire with these...there's probably about a 100 or so i'd LIKE to own...someday maybe.
Old 04-15-09, 09:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I've never had the desire to own the entire Criterion Collection. I think the movies in the collection are movies every film fan should see at least once, and I'm willing to buy the ones I like, but there are movies I don't like (such as Armaggedon) that I don't feel the need to add to my collection, regardless if it was the only remaining spine number I needed or not.
I thought I wanted to own the entire collection, but I tend to agree with the rest of what you posted.

Having seen enough of them, I just can't justify owning the entire collection due to the titles I don't think I'd like very much. I found I have no real need to buy movies that I don't like (although I'll keep Armageddon and The Rock because I already own them.)

I have about 250 individual Criterion titles and probably about another 100 copies of their OOPs (that I just couldn't resist getting thinking I'd sell them on eBay but I found I hate selling on eBay). I've just become more discriminating about what I'll buy whether it's labeled Criterion or not.
Old 04-15-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only own a few. I've netflixed a few as well.

= J
Old 04-16-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I dont really know how many criterions I currently own. soemwhere between 20 and 30 I would say. The ones I onw are the ones that I enjoy and will watch several times. There are only two that I dont already have, that I want. I will get those two at some point. The ones I don't own may very well be good films, but I really have no interest in them. I see no reason for me to own every single criterion dvd. I already have too many dvds that I havent watched yet.
Old 04-16-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It you don't care about special features or don't have Brazil or The Last Emperor, You can get single disc Criterion versions of these 2 at Target for $20 each.
Old 04-17-09, 10:17 AM

I have the Hitchcock Wrong Men & Notorious Women box set, Charade, The Third Man and The Rock. I think that's it. So, eight, if I'm remembering correctly. Don't really care to own any others at this time. Most of them are one-time viewings for me, either from Netflix or the library.

Last edited by frenchy; 04-17-09 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own quite a few of them, with a healthy-sized chunk on my wishlist. I never understood the compulsive, irrational obsession to purchase every last one of them however, especially with regards to the dozens of titles that have superior editions available elsewhere.
Old 04-17-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I consider it a blessing that I wasn't born with the "completist" gene!

I have a little over 100 Criterions, and there are about 50-60 more I'd like to get eventually, but there are many titles I have seen and have no wish to see again or own.
Old 04-17-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I only own the films I want.

I am a completist, but only with stuff I like, you know? I'll gladly double or triple dip, but I won't buy movies just because they have a number on the spine.
Old 04-17-09, 10:21 PM

I was born with the "completest" gene, but I am able to exercise self-control.
Old 04-17-09, 10:37 PM

Do you run Caiman on Amazon?
Old 04-18-09, 12:36 AM
Cool New Member

I diagree, i think the "completist" gene is the wrong use from most who strive for the criterion collection. True there will be those select few who want spine numbers but most people i have talked to includeing myself that actually know what criterion is want them all for the reason that for the most part they are incredible. If you are a true collector or just a huge fan of film, you cant deny they have the best dvd transfer and quality 90 percent of the time, best cover art and really go above and beyond for the veiwer. I only own 32 and i have watched every single one and been blown away by each film. (even Salo). They are like having your own origional print by monet or rockwell.

So i would say its that fact that i love great movies that i want to own as many as i can afford, hopefully someday all.
Old 04-18-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Demonmoon68
want them all for the reason that for the most part they are incredible. ... i want to own as many as i can afford, hopefully someday all.
And that's the completist gene. I feel like there is something to having a good film library that you and others (kids?) can enjoy, and Criterion certainly puts out more than their share of quality and important films. But some of them (probably different for each person) are undeniably single watch films, no?

I probably owned about 240 of their titles, sold some, and have a pretty short wish list.
Old 04-18-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only own a few. I don't think people need to justify their purposes. If they want to own all, more power to them, though I doubt they love every single one. At least they are choosing acclaimed films. I'm trying to own every video-nasty (have around 60 of the 74)
Old 04-18-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I only have 20 titles but there are few titles that I want but have yet to purchase them.
Old 04-19-09, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Right now I have 24 titles. I have had many more in the past but have ended up selling them.

Though it would be cool, I have no desire to collect them all.

If I had James Franco money, I'd have them all for the simple fact that I could.

Last edited by RagingBull80; 04-19-09 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-19-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got Chasing Amy and Dazed and Confused.
Old 04-19-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkhawk
It you don't care about special features or don't have Brazil or The Last Emperor, You can get single disc Criterion versions of these 2 at Target for $20 each.
Already have brazil, and that 4 disc Last Emperor is one of the few titels on my Criterion want list that I dont already own. I saw the one disc in target, and almost bought it, till I remembered there was a deluxe edition.
Old 04-19-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kory
I was born with the "completest" gene, but I am able to exercise self-control.
And that is what it is about, in my opinion.
Old 04-19-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only Criterion I have is the anamorphic version of Charade. I'm quite happy with it, nice release...
Old 06-26-10, 10:46 AM

I'm not a completest but of the 500+ titles they have, I have around 300 and want about a 100 more. But for those are completest, definitely want to see how you store your Criterions..hehe... (I'll post my photos once I reach the 30 post-minimum)
Old 06-26-10, 12:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I am a completest, and wanted all of these as soon as I first starting watching them several years ago, but have resisted until the big sales of last year. I buy as many as I can each sale; may never complete the collection, but I'm in no hurry.

It's only very slightly the numbering/collectibility of them that has me hooked; but much more the fact that most of them are fantastic and many become my favorite films. And I'm very interested in film history and exploring new things, so even their selections that aren't as entertaining for me still are very worthwhile watches in my opinion.
Old 06-26-10, 06:11 PM

I am a completest -- on things I like. I personally don't have any inclination to collect a bunch of films because a certain company has deemed them to be exceptional. There's nothing wrong if people want to. I just don't. I own several and most of the ones I've seen have been good to great, but paying upwards of 13 dollars (on sale) for a "good film" --- well, I'm just too cheap.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 06-26-10 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's only very slightly the numbering/collectibility of them that has me hooked; but much more the fact that most of them are fantastic and many become my favorite films. And I'm very interested in film history and exploring new things, so even their selections that aren't as entertaining for me still are very worthwhile watches in my opinion.
That describes me exactly as far as Criterion goes, though I will admit the numbering is a big hook for me, which is also how I got into buying Code Red, Dragon Dynasty, and a few other companies' dvds. When I have the money, I try to get as many as I can when I find good deals, usually getting at least a couple a month from ebay. But all that's on hold for the moment as I'm currently unemployed, which I'm reminded of with each new great release. I think so far the only movie I didn't really enjoy from them was Kicking and Screaming, which even that was at least decent enough. They've had a great track record and I'm willing to trust them on trying out whatever they bring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.