DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oh my God, it has happaned. I want to own every Criterion Collection DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jpfisher

Don't listen to the haters in this thread
I don't see much hate in this thread only common sense. You should buy movies you like or that you think you will potentially like. Buying crap like I am Curious or Salo just because it has a number on it seems a huge waste of money that could be better spent on movies you actually want to watch over and over.

BTW, I am saying this as a huge fan of Criterion. However, I find myself happy simply renting most of their titles. Not all of them are movies I need to own.

Last edited by darkside; 03-28-07 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-28-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I agree,
Buying a DVD just because you want to have every Criterion collection is pointless, buy movies you like not just because there from a certain studio.

So why did you buy them?

Uh .... I specifically said

"I love the Criterions I have (about 100 right now), but there are many titles in the collecion that I don't really enjoy."

Since the Criterion Collection numbers over 300 titles, I obviously HAVE NOT bought their titles that I don't really enjoy - I don't buy a Criterion unless it is a title I actually want. That was the point of my post. Sorry you missed it.
Old 03-28-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a question for all those who say "you should only buy movies that you LIKE!" :

Could a person get satisfaction from their DVDs on a different level than simple enjoyment of the movie? I love the movie The Shawshank Redemption, so I get satisfaction from my DVD on that level. Same with many others in my collection. But what if I did own Salo, wouldn't it be pretty freaking cool to point it out to your friends? I'd look at it on my shelf and feel glad knowing that I own a DVD that most people don't own. This is a different form of satisfaction. Couldn't this type of satisfaction be just as relevant as the "I like this movie" type?

There are lots of reasons to enjoy owning a particular DVD. I love Evil Dead, but what I love nearly as much as the movie itself is that kickass Book of the Dead packaging sitting on my shelf. I even bought the entire Nightmare on Elm Street set because of the cool packaging and uniformity of the cases, even though most of those movies suck. But I'm glad I bought it.
Old 03-28-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure, this is the whole collecting stamps, coins or anything point of view. I am okay with this as well, but I think its better to collect movies in general that you like over a small subgroup which may include a large portion of movies you don't like.

I buy just as many of the collector's sets and limited editions just for the cool factor of owning them, but to me the cost of the entire Criterion collection is so high that I think the money could be better spent on a much broader collection of movies.

Hey, if you have the money to spend go for it, but I would hate that people would pass on movies like The Departed because they are saving up for Salo. I'm definitely not a Criterion hater either. I have 83 of them (more if you count the individual titles in the box sets) Criterion

Last edited by darkside; 03-28-07 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-28-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
If you have the time, money and inclination, go for it.
Old 03-28-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
That spine # thing was a brilliant marketing move on the part of Criterion. They are the Pokemon of DVD collecting.
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I don't have the urge to own them all, but over the years as my tastes have evolved and become more broad, I've started to buy more and more Criterions. I don't have a huge amount, only 34 different Criterion movies, but to me that's a lot.
Originally Posted by Jaymole
I'm actually going in the opposite direction. I always thought that the Criterion edition was the best you can get for that film, but I've been selling some of my Criterions because I found out there are better/more complete editions of films such as Kwaidan, Onibaba & Withnail & I in other regions.
Agreed on all points above.

At times, there are superior editions out there of the films than the older, vintage Criterions. Region-free status comes into play, but that's a hurdle that'll be well worth the jump. For those shackled to R1 land, however, this Criterion amassing is an enjoyable way of raking together a usable, pertinent (for the majority) range of films. There are also worse things that can be collected aside from Criterion Collection DVDs. At least what's being collected is significant (in most respects).
Old 03-28-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by caiman
But what if I did own Salo, wouldn't it be pretty freaking cool to point it out to your friends?
No, they wouldn't give a shit.
Old 03-28-07, 10:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this thread didn't help either ...

Tell me your top Criterion recommendations
Old 03-28-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
So why did you buy them?
in the original quote "the collection" = the entire criterion collection, NOT the poster's collection.
Old 03-28-07, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a question for all those who say "you should only buy movies that you LIKE!" :
But what if I did own Salo, wouldn't it be pretty freaking cool to point it out to your friends? I'd look at it on my shelf and feel glad knowing that I own a DVD that most people don't own. This is a different form of satisfaction. Couldn't this type of satisfaction be just as relevant as the "I like this movie" type?
Not for me. I don't buy things to try to impress other people or b/c other people can't afford it or find it in stores. I buy things that bring me enjoyment for whatever its use is. Not so other people will look in awe at something I have.
Old 03-28-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my exact concern. When Salo is released and I pick it up, the spine is just not going to look right amidst the look of the spines that surround it (those older ones were all black, with the original logo). Plus it'll just be a completely different DVD, with different artwork. Just like Seven Samurai.

Do you suspect that once Salo is rereleased, that the original version will drop drastically in price?

I don't judge people who enjoy collecting for the sake of collecting, to each their own, but I would say if the "look" is what is important to you you can always just print out a custom DVD cover and change it out so that it would match your collection. You know it wouldn't be an original, but would you care?
Old 03-28-07, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
this thread didn't help either ...

Tell me your top Criterion recommendations
Yeah, I think that thread was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 03-28-07, 04:56 PM

I would like to caution the OP to avoid buying any Masters of Cinema releases. At one point, I tried to get all the Criterions, then gave up and sold most of them. Now, I'm on a mission to get all the Masters of Cinema releases. Much fewer to get, so a more manageable obsession to get into and, unlike Criterion, the spines all line up very nicely and look uniform on the shelf.
Old 03-28-07, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by wmermine
I would like to caution the OP to avoid buying any Masters of Cinema releases. At one point, I tried to get all the Criterions, then gave up and sold most of them. Now, I'm on a mission to get all the Masters of Cinema releases. Much fewer to get, so a more manageable obsession to get into and, unlike Criterion, the spines all line up very nicely and look uniform on the shelf.
Yes, if the spines line up nicely, I probably should avoid them.

That sounded sarcastic. It wasn't.
Old 03-28-07, 05:58 PM

I know what you meant... I was addressing two issues really (1) it always really bugged me that the Criterions were numbered and the spines looked like they should all line up, but didn't. No such problem with Masters of Cinema. (2) I like uniformity and good movies... so the combination of numbered series, uniform spines, and good movies is too much for me to overcome...
Old 03-28-07, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wmermine
I know what you meant... I was addressing two issues really (1) it always really bugged me that the Criterions were numbered and the spines looked like they should all line up, but didn't. No such problem with Masters of Cinema. (2) I like uniformity and good movies... so the combination of numbered series, uniform spines, and good movies is too much for me to overcome...
Though in their own way, the CC spines do look nice together. They may be all different colors (and the design has changed a few times), but when you line them up together you see that many of them are unique, but they compliment each other nicely. I would almost prefer this to a static, 1, 2, 3, 4... design that doesn't allow each movie's design to have its own character.

Does anyone happen to have any pics of their large CC collection? I'd be interested in seeing what a really large collection look like all alligned.
Old 03-28-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, if the spines line up nicely, I probably should avoid them.

That sounded sarcastic. It wasn't.
criterions dont line up nicely. otoh, fox film noirs do
Old 03-28-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
That spine # thing was a brilliant marketing move on the part of Criterion. They are the Pokemon of DVD collecting.
It's genius. Criterion is easily responsible for the largest group of self-diagnosed OCD (Obsessive compulsive disorder) cases out there.
Old 03-28-07, 08:35 PM

http://www.downeffect.com/jim/IMGP3737.jpg

Sorry, the pic is a bit crude. I need to do it right with some better lighting and a tripod and with less laundry in frame.
Old 03-28-07, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by jpfisher
http://www.downeffect.com/jim/IMGP3737.jpg

Sorry, the pic is a bit crude. I need to do it right with some better lighting and a tripod and with less laundry in frame.
Absolutely beautiful.
Old 03-28-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh .... I specifically said

"I love the Criterions I have (about 100 right now), but there are many titles in the collecion that I don't really enjoy."

Since the Criterion Collection numbers over 300 titles, I obviously HAVE NOT bought their titles that I don't really enjoy - I don't buy a Criterion unless it is a title I actually want. That was the point of my post. Sorry you missed it.
My Bad, sorry.
Old 03-28-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone happen to have any pics of their large CC collection? I'd be interested in seeing what a really large collection look like all alligned.
Mine is hardly large compared to most, but I am closing in on a 100 of the buggers.
Old 03-28-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not going with the pink "Royal Tenenbaums" spine?
Old 03-28-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Not going with the pink "Royal Tenenbaums" spine?
No way. Stupid Disney.
Old 03-28-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's my work in progress:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.