Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else lovin' the new Double-Feature discs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone else lovin' the new Double-Feature discs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, this seems to be a good thread for this, The Digital Bits is reporting:

Universal has also announced Curious George: Takes a Job and Other Monkey Business for 8/28, an Arnold Schwarzenegger: Comedy Favorites Collection on 9/18 (the very title makes me cringe - you get Twins, Kindergarten Cop and Junior - SRP $19.98), a John Candy: Comedy Favorites Collection also on 9/18 (Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, Going Berserk - $19.98), and The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid and a Dawn of the Dead/Land of the Dead 2-Movie Collection on 9/25.

I really hope this means that Twins and Kindergarten Cop will finally be released in Widescreen.
Old 06-02-07, 03:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up Major Payne and Sgt. Bilko at Sam's Club and was nicely surprised that they were both widescreen and seperate discs.

I also picked up The Road Warrior/Beyond the Thunderdome and wasn't as happy. Full screen and a single two sided disc. Oh well, still the price was pretty nice at ~$7 each.
Old 06-02-07, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Anyone have the Addams Family double feature, with the original and sequel? I saw it today and was tempted. Do you lose anything getting the double feature vs buying them separately? Is it a flipper disc?
It's a single sided dual layer disc with only extra being trailers. Picked this one up when it came out.

Looks like they did this the right way, they took 2 single disc/single layers discs and make 1 dual layer double feature.

Last edited by danganet; 06-02-07 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-02-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKing

Universal has also announced Curious George: Takes a Job and Other Monkey Business for 8/28, an Arnold Schwarzenegger: Comedy Favorites Collection on 9/18 (the very title makes me cringe - you get Twins, Kindergarten Cop and Junior - SRP $19.98), a John Candy: Comedy Favorites Collection also on 9/18 (Uncle Buck, The Great Outdoors, Going Berserk - $19.98), and The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid and a Dawn of the Dead/Land of the Dead 2-Movie Collection on 9/25.

I really hope this means that Twins and Kindergarten Cop will finally be released in Widescreen.
I am so excited because it probably does. I note that there is a Universal Family Favorites set that includes Leave it to Beaver, which, as far as I know, was previously only available FS. It's WS in the package, anamorphic. Also most of these sets have been getting new anamorphic transfers. It will be great if Twins and Kindergarten Cop finally get brand new transfers, Twins looks awful on top of being FS.

UPDATE: Yes indeed, all three anamorphic WS.

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=36933

Last edited by tylergfoster; 06-02-07 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I just received Back to School/Easy Money Double Feature today. Looks like they are both anamorphic. I dont think the previous releases were.
Old 06-14-07, 04:58 PM

I picked up the Alliance Atlantis Canadian Release of Bed of Roses / Pump up the Volume for $5. Unfortunately the case states that it is in 1.85 Widescreen, enhanced for Widescreen TVs, but of course it's not. It's Pan & Scan. It's not that big of a deal, but I wouldn't have purchased it if I knew that was the case.
Old 06-14-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
I picked up the Alliance Atlantis Canadian Release of Bed of Roses / Pump up the Volume for $5. Unfortunately the case states that it is in 1.85 Widescreen, enhanced for Widescreen TVs, but of course it's not. It's Pan & Scan. It's not that big of a deal, but I wouldn't have purchased it if I knew that was the case.
Lionsgate lies. Of course, as you said, in Canada it's Alliance Atlantis, but Lionsgate often lies about anamorphic.
Old 06-14-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm hoping that they put out a few better selections than they have out now. I mean "Bringing down the House/Dumb Blonde" was one lame one I saw. I'm hoping they put out "Heathers/Mean Girls" on one - that would be a great double feature!
Old 06-14-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm hoping that they put out a few better selections than they have out now. I mean "Bringing down the House/Dumb Blonde" was one lame one I saw. I'm hoping they put out "Heathers/Mean Girls" on one - that would be a great double feature!
Don't hold your breath: Heathers is Anchor Bay, Mean Girls is Paramount.

I'm hoping for a Ring/Ring Two double feature, kinda, except that'd have to be Paramount and therefore it wouldn't include any extras, so I guess I'm not, really. EdTV/Bowfinger would be nice although they're already doing EdTV/The Family Man, which I don't think is nearly as good of a combination. I'd also like to see Mystery Men in a double feature.
Old 06-14-07, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
Pump Up The Volume is not 'pan and scan' on the U.S. New Line release(original release,double feature is 'fullscreen only'). It is completely open matte. So chances are the Canadian release is the same. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 06-14-07, 10:38 PM
Banned

I just got the Warner Bros. Double feature DVD of Kelly's Heroes/ The Dirty Dozen. On the back of the box it clearly says:
"The Dirty Dozen includes:
*Commentary by Cast Menbers Jim Brown, Trini Lopez, Stuart Cooper and Colin Maitland, Producer Kenneth Hyman, original Novelist E.M. Nathanson, Film Historian David J. Schow and Veteran Military Advisor to Movies Capt. Dale Dye
*Introduction by Ernest Borgnine
*Vintage Featurette Operation Dirty Dozen
*Theatrical Trailer"

Unfortunately the disk does not include any Commentary or introduction to this film...
I am clearly pissed off at those filthy lying bastards over at WB for making a huge error and stating on the back of the box that the DVD included special features which are wrongly advertised as being included on the disk.
Are the folks at WBHV becoming so stingy with their extras that they not only make you pay for for a 2nd disk when we used to get them for no additional cost, but fail to include them on the disk that they are advertised on.

I am about done with this double feature shit. First I got screwed on that School of Rock/ Orange County disk (Which had no extras at all) and now this one and it makes me understand that most of these disks really arent that much of a bargain if you actually want the whole package or at least the whole package as it is listed.
Old 07-04-07, 01:45 AM

anyone pick upo The Perfect Storm / Three Kings that was just released? Is it FF or WS?
Old 07-04-07, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing

Hopefully The Great Outdoors will get a new Anamorphic transfer.
Old 07-04-07, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up the Total Recall/Terminator 2: Judgment day double feature last week when I was getting my weekly new DVD Releases & I'm very impressed with this DF Disc.
I needed T2 Cause I bought The Terminator a couple weeks before & I have had T3 since it's original release date so I was looking for the T2 Extreme DVD but couldn't find it at the wal-mart I was in & didn't feel like looking at 500 stores that day so I picked the DF Disc up & I think in the long run it was a better purchase cause I think it only costed me $9.83.
Old 08-18-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone bought the Target exclusive double feature of Men of Honor/Broken Arrow? I'm curious to see if Broken Arrow actually contains an anamorphic transfer or if it's still the old crappy disc they released years ago. I'm guessing the latter.
Old 08-18-07, 09:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 977 Likes on 814 Posts
also, wondering about the DF of "Footloose" / "Flash Dance"? i saw in target ad. do these have good pic and audio? any extras?
Old 08-19-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pass, with few exceptions. I might do, say, The Addams Family 1 and 2 some day, but only because the films are part of a series and are alphabetically contiguous.

They also feel like cheap "reprints". Any of you comic and card collectors might know what I'm talking about. You can get an Action Comics #1 any time, but the catch is that it was printed in 07'.

And the resale value sucks for these sets. I've been to a lot of stores locally that don't even buy them, yet they'll buy the single film release versions that were later put in such sets.
Old 08-19-07, 08:21 AM
Banned

Just took a look at the new Circuit City sales paper today, yes I know there is heavy resentment to CC at this time, but they have a big group of double features on sale this week for 5.99 each including the new Totally Awesome 80's double features that just came out last month.
Old 08-19-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,776 Likes on 2,705 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
also, wondering about the DF of "Footloose" / "Flash Dance"? i saw in target ad. do these have good pic and audio? any extras?
Both of them are barebones. The Flashdance SE hasn't been released yet.
Old 10-01-07, 07:07 PM

just seen Demolition Man / Over the Top double feature today.....forgot to check if they were WS though.
Old 10-01-07, 07:13 PM

The Death Wish 2/3/4 triple feature caught my eye at Wally World over the weekend. They're all listed as FS (although the shelf tag incorrectly said "WS") but these were filmed open-matte, correct? May have to pick that one up.
Old 10-01-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Anyone seen the new Schwarzenegger triple feature at any Wal-marts? I've been looking but no luck.
Old 10-02-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Demolition Man/Over the Top: WS.
The Perfect Storm/Three Kings: WS.
Footloose/Flashdance: WS, but no bonus features at all, since they are both on a single-sided DVD.
Men of Honor/Broken Arrow: most likely still non-anamorphic. 20th Century Fox puts the same old existing discs into their Double Features.
The Great Outdoors: does indeed have a new anamorphic transfer.

Look for the Schwarzenegger Comedy Family Favorites on the four-sided "I"-shaped rack that includes 9.44 and 13.92 movies on it. That's where it is in my Wal-Mart. You will also find most of the store's double features on there.
Old 10-13-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,776 Likes on 2,705 Posts
Circuit City has a sale going on for these WB double feature discs and there are a few New Line Double Features as well.

I picked up:

Devil's Advocate/Insomnia: Both WS with all bonus features intact including commentaries.
Vacation/European Vacation: Same deal both WS with all bonus features.
Perfect Storm/3 Kings: WS with all bonus features intact.

I really want the Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2 Double feature, but it always appears to be sold out everywhere I go.

It really doesn't bother me that they are flippers. For $7.99 each, it's a deal I couldn't pass on.

IMO, these double feature discs are really hit or miss. I just don't get why some are FS and some are WS.
Old 10-13-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DJariya
I really want the Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2 Double feature, but it always appears to be sold out everywhere I go.
IMO, these double feature discs are really hit or miss. I just don't get why some are FS and some are WS.
Unfortunately the Mortal Kombad DF is FS only. All of New Line's Double Features are FS.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.