DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Anyone else lovin' the new Double-Feature discs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/495544-anyone-else-lovin-new-double-feature-discs.html)

mickey65 03-17-07 05:50 PM

Anyone else lovin' the new Double-Feature discs?

I know I do! I just picked up the Double-Feature of Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School" and "Easy Money" at Wal-Mart the other day for $9.00

I've also got the "Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men", "The Fugitive/US Marshalls", "My Girl/My Girl II" and "Dave/American President" also.

All great deals - since they are charging the two for less than the price of one!

islandclaws 03-17-07 06:57 PM

Personally I like my films to be separate. Maybe it's the anal-retentive OCD collector in me, but I'm not a big fan of multi-film sets.

tonyjg 03-17-07 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65
I know I do! I just picked up the Double-Feature of Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School" and "Easy Money" at Wal-Mart the other day for $9.00

I've also got the "Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men", "The Fugitive/US Marshalls", and "Dave/American President" also.

All great deals - since they are charging the two for less than the price of one!

only two movies in one case ???

gee.... the US must be a little behind - as the major movie companies down here in Australia are packing far more.

We have 2 movies (double feature), then 3 packs.... and NOW..... 5 packs !!!

Here's a FOX horror pack - Childs Play / Carrie / Carrie 2 / The Dark Half / Audrey Rose

Here's a Universal comedy pack - Bridget Jones Diary / Bridget Jones Age of Reason / Love Actually / Notting Hill / Wimbledon

Companies here (and I assume elsewhere) are trying new 'ways' of selling out older titles - and getting into these movie packs.

The only ISSUE with the Region 1 movie packs are that in some.. ok.. many cases.. titles are being released in FOOLSCREEN (ie the NewLine double and three packs). DEFINITELY NOT GOOD VALUE THEN !

Robert 03-17-07 07:23 PM

I aint lovin' them at all!! :mad:

The Dreamcatcher/Ghost Ship double feature is foolscreen even though the back cover says its widescreen.

The US Marshals/Fugitive double feature is missing the video extras for US Marshals even though the back cover says they are included.

The Executive Decision/Unlawful Entry double feature lists Executive Decision as anamorphic even though it has never been.

JZ1276 03-17-07 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by tonyjg
only two movies in one case ???

gee.... the US must be a little behind - as the major movie companies down here in Australia are packing far more.

We have 2 movies (double feature), then 3 packs.... and NOW..... 5 packs !!!

Here's a FOX horror pack - Childs Play / Carrie / Carrie 2 / The Dark Half / Audrey Rose

Here's a Universal comedy pack - Bridget Jones Diary / Bridget Jones Age of Reason / Love Actually / Notting Hill / Wimbledon

Companies here (and I assume elsewhere) are trying new 'ways' of selling out older titles - and getting into these movie packs.

The only ISSUE with the Region 1 movie packs are that in some.. ok.. many cases.. titles are being released in FOOLSCREEN (ie the NewLine double and three packs). DEFINITELY NOT GOOD VALUE THEN !

didnt even know they made a Back to School/Easy Money 2 pack. I will definitely pick that up. New Line does suck. I ordered the Boiler Room/Knockaround Guys/A man Apart triple feature and i think all of them were fullscreen so i sent them back. I already have the National lampoons Vacation double feature and the Lethal Weapon triple feature. They save alot of shelf space. Anyone know of a complete list of the new mgm double features?

tylergfoster 03-17-07 07:49 PM

Yeah, New Line keeps doing the full-screen thing. I'd pick up their Jackie Chan double-features and the Lawnmower Man double-feature if they were WS with their original bonus features.

The Warner ones are good. I'm disliking the new Paramount Triple Features only because they use this blue color for the background and I just don't think it looks good.

Drexl 03-17-07 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Personally I like my films to be separate. Maybe it's the anal-retentive OCD collector in me, but I'm not a big fan of multi-film sets.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. I'm not really a boxed-set guy either, unless the films are direct sequels like Back to the Future or Star Wars.

TexasDVDer 03-18-07 11:39 AM

I've bought some of the John Wayne 2-packs, the Teen Wolf 2-pack and a Clint Eastwood 3-pack. The quality of the DVD doesn't seem compromised so I am happy with this packaging method. Of course they are filed in sequence by the first movie so if I want to watch the second (or third) movie again I have to remember what the first title was.

I may need to make a special list of these kinds of movies.

Cameron 03-18-07 02:20 PM

whats the upc for the back to school double feature disc?

OwlAtHome 03-18-07 02:22 PM

I'd like to get the My Girl DF. Anyone know the ratio?

caiman 03-18-07 02:39 PM

I have a couple of the MGM Midnight Movies double features, because the movies themselves are not available separetly. Namely, the Vincent Price/Roger Corman Poe adaptations such as Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, and Tales of Terror.

critterdvd 03-18-07 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome

It's fullscreen... but for $9 I'm not complaining... especially since I don't know if the movies are even available in widescreen...

mickey65 03-18-07 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
whats the upc for the back to school double feature disc?

upc# 027616068866

And this DF - you have your choice (on the discs) of either FS or WS, It's two discs in one case.

mickey65 03-18-07 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome

Whew! I was almost embarrassed to admit on here to buying this one - thankfully there are other fans of the movie for this!

movielib 03-18-07 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65
"Dave/American President"

The horror! -eek-

Sorry if that's a threadcrap. For once I couldn't help myself.

JumpCutz 03-18-07 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by movielib
The horror! -eek-

Sorry if that's a threadcrap. For once I couldn't help myself.

:thumbsup: :lol:

DeanoBKN 03-18-07 11:54 PM

They are a great value, but the OCD in me needs to have 3 seperate releases, rather then these combos. I am a loser.

NinePoint 03-18-07 11:55 PM

I'm certainly not against them, but I find myself already owning one out of nearly all the combos.

tonyjg 03-19-07 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by NinePoint
I'm certainly not against them, but I find myself already owning one out of nearly all the combos.

Isn't that always the case !!! (unless you go for some Jean Claude Van Damme set)

Trevor 03-19-07 06:46 AM

I file my movies in binders alphabetically, so these sets bother me big time.

chileorgullo 03-19-07 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I file my movies in binders alphabetically, so this sets bother me big time.

I don't know which one to put alphabetically, and you can't just loan one movie at a time to someone without losing two you may want to watch.

re: OCD too.

Trevor 03-19-07 12:37 PM

When two movies are on one disc, I will make an insert for both movies and file them in both places. Heck, I might as well make a backup of the disc and have it in both places.

Back more on topic, and to repeat what others have said, I am generally against these releases as they remove special features and/or are full screen only. Every movie should have enough content to fill a SD DVD at least. To squeeze two movies on one disc they are either skimping in quality or features or both.

Wildo1966 03-19-07 12:54 PM

I absolutely love them! I also noticed that some movie companies are starting to do TRIPLE features. Now count me in for those also!

mickey65 03-19-07 02:28 PM

All the ones I have are two seperate discs. The Rodney Dangerfield double-set have BOTH WS & FS to choose from for EACH movie.

BSTNFAN 03-19-07 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Robert
I aint lovin' them at all!! :mad:

The Executive Decision/Unlawful Entry double feature lists Executive Decision as anamorphic even though it has never been.

My original Executive Decision said it was enhanced for Widescreen, is this not true? Did the special features and DTS audio from Unlawful Entry get dropped, as well?