Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Planet of the Apes - Ultimate collection question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planet of the Apes - Ultimate collection question

Is there a collection of All the Planet of the Apes movies, TV shows etc that's available that does NOT contain that bust?

Seems that novelty packaging keeps the collection on the very expensive side.

Anyone know?
Old 03-12-07, 10:40 PM

No, they are all available in seperate editions, but not in a collection except in the cesar bust.
Old 03-13-07, 12:58 AM
Banned

There's no denying that the Caesar bust is really cool but if you're strictly interested in DVD content you're better off collecting the titles individually.

Fox didn't remaster all the animated episodes for the "Ultimate" set but the episodes WERE remastered several months later when the animated series was released separately.

Due to that you're better off getting the 35th Anniversary Edition of the first film, the 4 individual releases of the sequels that came out simultaneously with the ape head, the 4-disc live-action release, the remastered 2-disc animated release and the 2-disc edition of the Burton film.
Old 03-13-07, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
There's no denying that the Caesar bust is really cool but if you're strictly interested in DVD content you're better off collecting the titles individually.

Fox didn't remaster all the animated episodes for the "Ultimate" set but the episodes WERE remastered several months later when the animated series was released separately.

Due to that you're better off getting the 35th Anniversary Edition of the first film, the 4 individual releases of the sequels that came out simultaneously with the ape head, the 4-disc live-action release, the remastered 2-disc animated release and the 2-disc edition of the Burton film.
By the time you are done purchasing all the different releases it will still be cheaper to just buy the bust set. I purchased mine from DDD when they were selling them under 100 bucks. My local FYE still has one for sale (been there since release), I believe the price is 169.99. If you are a fan of the Ape movies but the bust! You only live once!
Old 03-13-07, 06:45 PM

I local store is selling the remastered box set of original films for $28.99. Thats crazy. I'll probably pick it up. The Burton film I don't want..it sucked. The TV show out of nostalgia....don't remember the animated series. Was it any good?
Old 03-13-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, who wants the burton film when you can have Battle For The Planet Of The Apes?
Old 03-15-07, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by freshticles
Yeah, who wants the burton film when you can have Battle For The Planet Of The Apes?
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 03-15-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So...ALL of that content is available if you buy the individual sets. I would have thought that would have made some new original material for that set.

I would have also thought that they would have also packaged them all together without the bust. Shows you what I know.
Old 03-16-07, 09:51 PM

So the individual releases of the Ape films are exactly the same as the Cesar Box Set? Are the dvds in the Legacy collection the same as the Cesar box set?
Old 03-17-07, 12:15 AM
Banned

So...ALL of that content is available if you buy the individual sets. I would have thought that would have made some new original material for that set.
Well, if you want shoddy transfers on many of the animated episodes then they're exclusive to the box set. Those of us who got the individual release have to settle for good transfers.

Anyways, the currently-available discs break down like this:

14 disc "Caesar head" release:
Disc 1 of 35th Anniversary Edition of original film*
Disc 2 of 35th Anniversary Edition of original film (includes "Behind the...")
Beneath the...*
Escape from the...*
Conquest of the...*
Battle for the...*
Live-action series disc 1
Live-action series disc 2
Live-action series disc 3
Live-action series disc 4
Poorly-transfered Animated series disc 1
Poorly-transfered Animated series disc 2
Remake disc 1
Remake disc 2

The "Legacy" box set is really cheap and it includes all the discs I marked with an asterix but you're still better off getting the titles individually because the copy of the original film included in the "Legacy" box is just disc 1 of the 35th Anniversary disc and instead of including the second disc they put in the old "Behind the..." disc from the old box set even though disc 2 of the 35th Anniversary set has the full "Behind the..." documentary and a bunch of other extras.

So like I said, if you want the best versions of the actual discs themselves your best bet is to get the 2-disc 35th Anniversary Edition of the first film, the recent anamorphic re-releases of the 4 sequels, the individual releases of both television series and the 2-disc edition of the Tim Burton remake.
Old 03-17-07, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the transfer on the animated series in the Ultimate Collection really that bad?
Old 03-17-07, 10:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Someone asked about how to find the animated set. According to dvdpricesearch, it appears to be readily available.