Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best DVD of February 2007

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Which disc do you feel was the best overall DVD released in February 2007?
Flags of Our Fathers
0%
Babel
0%
The Prestige
6.36%
The Departed (Two-Disc Special Edition)
62.73%
Bicycle Thieves (Criterion Collection)
8.18%
When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (Criterion Collection)
3.64%
Tideland
5.45%
The Science of Sleep
1.82%
The Infernal Affairs Trilogy (Special Collector's Edition Box Set)
1.82%
Other (please list below)
10.00%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Best DVD of February 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a boxset, this may not qualify, but the "VIVA PEDRO" collection of Almodovar's films is - by far - my most watched, most enjoyed, most impressed-by release.

And given that so many of us were able to get it for $25-30 due to a wide-ranging pricing error that affected a whole bunch of retailers, it's like 8 great films for the price of one. I'm not even sure if I would have shelled out the $80-90 that this set was supposed to cost, but having seen 5 of the 8 films in the past week (and having already seen 2 of those remaining 3 previously - "Matador" and "Talk to Her"), the set would easily have been worth the full price to me.
Old 03-03-07, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
As a boxset, this may not qualify, but the "VIVA PEDRO" collection of Almodovar's films is - by far - my most watched, most enjoyed, most impressed-by release.

And given that so many of us were able to get it for $25-30 due to a wide-ranging pricing error that affected a whole bunch of retailers, it's like 8 great films for the price of one. I'm not even sure if I would have shelled out the $80-90 that this set was supposed to cost, but having seen 5 of the 8 films in the past week (and having already seen 2 of those remaining 3 previously - "Matador" and "Talk to Her"), the set would easily have been worth the full price to me.

It did get some votes, but it was a January release not a February release.
Old 03-03-07, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I nominate 49th Parallel CC hands down and also as Best DVD of 2007!

Sometimes, the importance and quality of the film overrides all other considerations... not to mention the fact that it was scandalously overdue on DVD.

In this film, Eric Portman, Niall MacGinnis, Finlay Currie, Laurence Olivier, Glynis Johns, Anton Walbrook, Raymond Massey and Leslie Howard give the most unusual and heart-felt performances of their entire career. This film was expressly made by England and Canada to influence Americans into joining the war effort against the Nazis and change the course of history. It succeeded in its mission admirably.

It's the kind of taut thriller/propaganda film Alfred Hitchcock himself could have done (e.g.: Saboteur) (1) if he hadn't moved to the US; (2) if he wasn't so namby-pamby about shooting on location (all the film's exteriors are shot in some of the wildest parts of Canada); and (3) if he had a brilliant, original and courageous scriptwriter like Emeric Pressburger.

As a DVD, it exhibits the usual Criterion quality, perfect sound, pillarboxing that allows you to see things that were never visible before on a TV set, a superlative bitrate, a prize-worthy animated menu, a very decent and stable picture and the required quota of absolutely stupendous CC-grade extras. What more can you possibly ask for?!

Laurence Olivier as a French-Canadian trapper?

DVD Beaver's review:

Criterion's seamless digital restoration once again eclipses the previous releases, actually exposing their contrast boosting to be even more prevalent than we suggested. Just about every facet of the Criterion image appears to be superior - vastly better contrast, less artifacts (although some are visible), less damage and slightly more information in the frame than the PAL editions. As black levels have been selectively tweaked and some damage marks obliterated ('Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System') the Criterion image is probably the best we will see until it one day reaches HD (49th Parallel may be years to reach that lofty height).

The audio also appears to be slightly clearer and more consistent than the other two releases but I always admit that I have no quantitative measure of this except my own ears.

This Criterion package is stacked and the meat of it belongs to the strong extras. Firstly the Bruce Eder commentary is fabulous. Another example of how Criterion, not only the pioneers of this digital supplement, but are also the best at this DVD attribute. Eder talks, without a recollected gap about many subtle details of the filming of 49th Parallel. He know his stuff, was fully prepared and I was enthralled.

On disc 2 we have a 1943 Powell and Pressburger war-effort short starring Ralph Richardson called The Volunteer. Very entertaining war effort and topical for its relevance to the feature film and its similar slant. After a his performance as Othello 'Ralph Richardson' is asked for an autograph by Fred, his dresser who has joined the Fleet Air Arm (Fly Navy) and consequently becomes a hero, rescuing a pilot from his burning plane. When Fred goes to Buckingham Palace it's Richardson's turn to ask for his autograph (about 25 minutes). There is a BBC documentary on the careers of Powell and Pressburger called A Pretty British Affair. It offers details on their WWII-era collaborations and features rare footage of the filmmakers together plus input from a young Martin Scorsese (and others). Finally there are audio excerpts from Michael Powell's dictations for his autobiography, an original theatrical trailer (3:09) is included and a 20-page liner notes booklet with essay by film scholar Charles Barr and Powell's 1941 premiere speech.

Wow - what a great package. I enjoyed every minute of re-watching the film (umpteenth time) and the extra features. This has one of our stronger recommendations. Fabulous stuff Criterion - you continue to impress!
( http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...h_parallel.htm )

Makes one hope A Matter of Life and Death can't be far behind...

Runner-up: Bicycle Thieves CC

Last edited by baracine; 03-05-07 at 07:28 AM.